Have you had problems with the 12V battery or the electrical systems in your Taycan?

• Total voters

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
From what I have seen, this issue is a little bit like immaculate conception - some people deny it exists, while others are making a big deal about it without it happening to them. At the end of the day, no one can still accurately explain why it occurs.

All I know is that In my case, I had just returned from a 1,200 road trip. I did not drive the car the day after my return, nor did I log into the app. 36 hours after my return, I got in the car, and the warning light was there.

So, to answer your question, my 12v battery failure occurred without me using the app to change a profile during a charging session. Hopefully, there are people smarter than I at Porsche working on trying to identify and fix whatever the issue is, because I was lucky that this happened while I was home, and the car still allowed me to drive it to the Porsche dealership. It would suck if the car died and you were in the middle of a nowhere on a road trip. That happened to me last summer in my last Model S, and I had to wait for 5 hours for a tow truck. I have no desire to re-live that experience.

I am hoping that I get my car back this week, since the replacement battery is now sitting in Memphis, and awaiting custom clearance. This is where I feel Porsche has to do better. The battery was shipped from Stuttgart, but there should be an inventory of replacement batteries in the US to assist affected vehicles especially since Porsche knows this is an issue. Hopefully, Porsche is working on this, and I am one of the last to experience this situation.

Finally, I want to add that I certainly not complaining, nor whining about what happened to my 4s - early adaptor things like this are bound to happen. The irony is that I went through 4 Tesla's and an Audi e-tron over the past 4 years, and never had this issue, so I guess the law of averages finally caught up to me. I am not complaining about how Porsche customer service has been supporting me while my car is being fixed - they have been very supportive. I am simply documenting and sharing what is going with my particular vehicle, so I might help out a future fellow owner if something like this happens to them.
From your description, I’d wager you have a different 12v problem than I have.

Perhaps the existence of the “12v goes dead while car is attached to AC charge station” may have depleted the US stash of replacement 12v batteries, thereby causing a delay for you. (And us). But I’m just guessing here.
Sponsored

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Well, it appears to me, that if you successfully "got into the car" and saw a warning light, we may not be talking about the same issue.

Other folks actually had to manually open a door and pull the emergency hood release on the a-pillar to get access to their batteries before they could do ANYTHING. (inc a tow) Their cars were fully "dead". (I think that's an accurate summary...)

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Well, it appears to me, that if you successfully "got into the car" and saw a warning light, we may not be talking about the same issue.

Other folks actually had to manually open a door and pull the emergency hood release on the a-pillar to get access to their batteries before they could do ANYTHING. (inc a tow) Their cars were fully "dead". (I think that's an accurate summary...)

Ed and Don: I feel I have the same issue - a faulty 12v battery that needs replacing. I just had different symptoms of the 12v battery issue. That is why I mentioned I was lucky that I was able to drive my car to the dealership to get the electric warning light diagnosed as a faulty battery, and not discover it because the vehicle would not start.

At the end of the day we require the same fix - a new 12v battery.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ed and Don: I feel I have the same issue - a faulty 12v battery that needs replacing. I just had different symptoms of the 12v battery issue. That is why I mentioned I was lucky that I was able to drive my car to the dealership to get the electric warning light diagnosed as a faulty battery, and not discover it because the vehicle would not start.

At the end of the day we require the same fix - a new 12v battery.

Not to split hairs here...

- One problem (yours) might be a faulty battery...

- While the other problem might be a firmware issue causing the nav system to run down a perfectly good battery....

While simply replacing a faulty battery would solve the first problem, the second problem would continue to effectively destroy one battery after another until its resolved.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Not to split hairs here...

- One problem (yours) might be a faulty battery...

- While the other problem might be a firmware issue causing the nav system to run down a perfectly good battery....

While simply replacing a faulty battery would solve the first problem, the second problem would continue to effectively destroy one battery after another until its resolved.
I would posit that Porsche did not anticipate a 12-volt battery problem for a brand new car and thus did not stockpile a large number. Like ICE vehicle, 12-volt should be good for years. My Tesla Model S 12-volt battery lasted 4.5 years, but was polite enough to tell me to replace it. My Cayman S 12-volt battery lasted almost 6 years.
Now that they are having to replace Taycan batteries, it takes about 2 weeks to ship due to special handling for lithium batteries.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would posit that Porsche did not anticipate a 12-volt battery problem for a brand new car and thus did not stockpile a large number. Like ICE vehicle, 12-volt should be good for years. My Tesla Model S 12-volt battery lasted 4.5 years, but was polite enough to tell me to replace it. My Cayman S 12-volt battery lasted almost 6 years.
Now that they are having to replace Taycan batteries, it takes about 2 weeks to ship due to special handling for lithium batteries.

Regardless of how many potential problems this might be, the obvious short term solution is to pre-ship a bunch of batteries so dealers have them in stock if/when a problem occurs.

Reactions: Reg

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Are folks actively monitoring the 12V battery status in the car? I have my rightmost “tube” set to Information view, with one line set to the 12V battery level. I took delivery on 7/15 and have charged at home, at an EA station, used the app, and used the Connect web UI and haven’t seen my battery drop below 13.2. Are non-affected owners seeing the same readings?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@MissionC - how do you customize the "information" view? I haven't found that.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Are folks actively monitoring the 12V battery status in the car? I have my rightmost “tube” set to Information view, with one line set to the 12V battery level. I took delivery on 7/15 and have charged at home, at an EA station, used the app, and used the Connect web UI and haven’t seen my battery drop below 13.2. Are non-affected owners seeing the same readings?
This is what my battery looks like today.

I went for a long drive (110 miles?) starting at 10am.

Porsche Taycan 12V battery problem issue with your Taycan? 0FA5BD8E-3015-4E2B-987A-7D94D8569933

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Just as FYI for this thread, my new battery cleared customs in Memphis and is due to be delivered tomorrow morning to my dealership in Colorado.

I am going to ask the dealership to provide the pictures and part numbers of the old battery and the new battery. I am curious to see if Porsche has replaced my battery with the same one as before, or if Porsche has an updated 12v battery to put in afffected cars.

I am also going ask the tech to see if he was able to diagnose my problem as a defective battery, or if he thinks it is a bigger software issue. I am curious to see if there is an "official internal talking point" concerning the 12v battery challenges some of us are experiencing.

isacumi

First Name
isacumi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4S
Country flag
One important thing about this Issue............

Taycan, at least in Spain, comes with a 40Ah battery (12v).
I think it is ridiculous...Taycan has a lot of electronic components (navigation, music, lights, etc).

I read in this forum about a 60 Ah battery (12v) in USA's Taycan....someone could confirm this point?

Thanks in advance!

Porsche Taycan 12V battery problem issue with your Taycan? Bateria 12v Taycan.JPG

Last edited:

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag

There is no such thing as an “emergency hood release on the a-pillar”. Unfortunately the only way to release the hood is by opening the fuse box and use jump leads, just like with newer 911’s.
Sponsored