Have you had problems with the 12V battery or the electrical systems in your Taycan?

• Total voters

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
There is no such thing as an “emergency hood release on the a-pillar”. Unfortunately the only way to release the hood is by opening the fuse box and use jump leads, just like with newer 911’s.
That’s the emergency releases for the Charging Port he probably meant. A little south of the A-pillar.
Sponsored

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I picked up my 4s this evening and have a few updates to share with the group. I think the biggest one is that a software update was released while my car was in the shop. From the paperwork I have it is called WLG2 Campaign. There is a long list of various control unit updates that are part of the software release. My paperwork did not say which VIN's were affected, so I would check with your local Porsche service team to see if your car will receive this update. The updates are broken down by control units - VR8.6 and VR8.7. Some of the more interesting items listed as updated are, and I quote, high-voltage charger control unit (OBC), High voltage batter control unit (BMCe), PCM, Porche Control Unit, high-voltage power electronic control unit front and rear, HV voltage converter, HV voltage converter, the engine electronics (DME), and finally, and most interesting, the Over-the-Air (OTA) control unit.

Someone with better Porsche connections than I will have to do a little more digging to see what these updates do exactly, since my service advisor is still learning about the Taycan, and had no clue other than reading the Porsche documentation info for the WLG2 Campaign.

In regards to my 12v battery, it was replaced with part number 9j1-915-105-EY. Per my service advisor, it is the same battery, except this one works now!

isacumi

First Name
isacumi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4S
Country flag
I picked up my 4s this evening and have a few updates to share with the group. I think the biggest one is that a software update was released while my car was in the shop. From the paperwork I have it is called WLG2 Campaign. There is a long list of various control unit updates that are part of the software release. My paperwork did not say which VIN's were affected, so I would check with your local Porsche service team to see if your car will receive this update. The updates are broken down by control units - VR8.6 and VR8.7. Some of the more interesting items listed as updated are, and I quote, high-voltage charger control unit (OBC), High voltage batter control unit (BMCe), PCM, Porche Control Unit, high-voltage power electronic control unit front and rear, HV voltage converter, HV voltage converter, the engine electronics (DME), and finally, and most interesting, the Over-the-Air (OTA) control unit.

Someone with better Porsche connections than I will have to do a little more digging to see what these updates do exactly, since my service advisor is still learning about the Taycan, and had no clue other than reading the Porsche documentation info for the WLG2 Campaign.

In regards to my 12v battery, it was replaced with part number 9j1-915-105-EY. Per my service advisor, it is the same battery, except this one works now!

Here you have the complete list of updates include in the WGL2 Campaign.
It is in Spanish only, sorry.
If necessary, I could try translating it.

Attachments

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Here you have the complete list of updates include in the WGL2 Campaign.
It is in Spanish only, sorry.
If necessary, I could try translating it.
Thank you, that is very helpful to understand.
Google translate as an app is very useful!

DenverDG

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2017 Tesla S 100D
Country flag
Just as FYI for this thread, my new battery cleared customs in Memphis and is due to be delivered tomorrow morning to my dealership in Colorado.
Assume your dealer is Stevinson? Picked mine up on 7/11 from them, and had an issue with DC chargers. They looked at it, couldn’t find an issue, but afterwards I was able to use DC chargers without an issue. No 12V battery issue so far.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
My Tycan is being delivered to the dealer today and I have been notified that due to a software update they will not deliver until next Wednesday. Hopefully that solves the problem so many of you have experienced.

Chuck J

Roy

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo
Country flag
Hi all, I had this 12V battery problem multiple times.
Once 4 days in a row!
Always when the car was on the charger and fully charged (100%)
Each time the tow service guy did not know what to do and had to call Porsche assist.
It was terrible!
Two days ago I received my my2021.
I hope that problem is fixed now.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it’s highly unlikely this is a MY‘2020 specific issue - rather I’m guessing software issues that are common to all Taycans.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi all, I had this 12V battery problem multiple times.
Once 4 days in a row!
Always when the car was on the charger and fully charged (100%)
Each time the tow service guy did not know what to do and had to call Porsche assist.
It was terrible!
Two days ago I received my my2021.
I hope that problem is fixed now.
There is no evidence that it is fixed. If there was a fix they would apply it to 2020 models that go in service with a dead 12v battery.
Either your 12v battery can no longer hold a charge or it something you are doing i.e. charging settings, preheat setting, use of the mobile app, the charger you use etc that is triggering the bug more often than others.

Btw, do you get a 2021 as a replacement free of charge because of the 12v issues?

Last edited:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Just so you don’t feel like the Taycan is the only vehicle with teething problems.

Porsche Taycan 12V battery problem issue with your Taycan? C39C91E6-05B9-4EA3-8760-99B2AB6E3D35

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just so you don’t feel like the Taycan is the only vehicle with teething problems.

C39C91E6-05B9-4EA3-8760-99B2AB6E3D35.jpeg
Polestar has recently recalled thousands of vehicles to fix their 12v issue
https://tekdeeps.com/second-recall-of-polestar-2-in-a-month/

I hope Porsche comes with a solution too. I also hope their future cars have an old fashioned pull lever to pop the front hood so you don’t need to jump from the driver panel first. That would at least allow any roadside assistance service to jump the Taycan without special knowledge.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Polestar has recently recalled thousands of vehicles to fix their 12v issue
https://tekdeeps.com/second-recall-of-polestar-2-in-a-month/

I hope Porsche comes with a solution too. I also hope their future cars have an old fashioned pull lever to pop the front hood so you don’t need to jump from the driver panel first. That would at least allow any roadside assistance service to jump the Taycan without special knowledge.
Polestar also has been very upfront about this and written to all owners etc.
Communication from Porsche?
Head in the Sand!

Roy

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo
Country flag

C39C91E6-05B9-4EA3-8760-99B2AB6E3D35.jpeg
I heard from the towing guy (which is my personal friend now :) that he tows a lot of electric cars of all brands with the same problem.
Imho I think this is a rediculous problem for a brand like Porsche.
A current divider worth 20usd should allow to use 12v from a high power 800V battery.
In my car it happened each time when it was fully charged.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
That’s the odd thing. It happened 100% to you and 0% to me. It happens to different brands. It seems like a simple thing to engineer away. Did you get rid of your car? I haven’t heard of anyone who didn’t beat it eventually, but I certainly hope they figure out a fail safe.

Roy

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo
Country flag
That’s the odd thing. It happened 100% to you and 0% to me. It happens to different brands. It seems like a simple thing to engineer away. Did you get rid of your car? I haven’t heard of anyone who didn’t beat it eventually, but I certainly hope they figure out a fail safe.
I had so many problems with the car that it was impossible to drive. (Instruments went dark often while driving, sudden full power break on the highway , sudden powerfull twist of the steering wheel, all kind of extreme problems) I put my lawyer on it and returned the car to porsche.
I owned the car 4 months and was able to drive it 3 weeks with issues.

The porsche dealer solved it fair I have to say.
It costed him and me a lot.

Last week i got my my2021 and until now it had only very small issues.
It behaves as a completely different car. It is unbelievable what electronics can do with driving behaviour.
It is also unbelievable what happens if the electronics are malfunctioning.
When it runs without issues it drives superb. It drives as a luxurious limousine and as the meanest sports car with only a push of a button.
I hope this one stays without issues. If not, I am done with Porsche...
Sponsored