Have you had problems with the 12V battery or the electrical systems in your Taycan?

• Total voters

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Guys, I'm starting to be concerned that louv has been replaced by a Porsche bot. Do you think they had enough of his posts critiquing the Taycan's bugs and had him replaced? Is the real louv trapped in the basement of a Porsche dealership in Maine? :CWL:
There might be other explanations.

<please send pizza and bananas, they fit through the bars>
Sponsored

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Do you have any sense of how much the conditioner has to work on those days that you have changed your timer profile? If there is a logging function, that would be particularly informative.
I don't think the issue affects all of the cars. I did not see any change in the conditioner's status lights after I played with the profiles via the Connect app (I visually monitor the BatteryTender conditioner and the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect via a security camera in my garage). Most recently, I had the car in the body shop to fix some damage from road debris that hit the car during my trip from Connecticut to Georgia. After the repairs were completed the body shop kept the car in storage for two weeks with the 800mA conditioner connected via the OBDII port and the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect was plugged into a standard 110v outlet. I logged into the car almost every day via the Connect app to see if the Timer profile was working and to check on the location of the car. When I picked up the car there was no issue starting it.

The conditioner I bought is very low amperage because I wanted to connect it via the OBDII port for ease of connecting and disconnecting the conditioner since the 12v accessory outlets in the Taycan do not remain on when the car is off. The status lights of the conditioner have never been flashing red or amber which indicate a low charge on the battery. The lights are either flashing green (conditioning and the battery is almost fully charged) or solid green.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I don't think the issue affects all of the cars. I did not see any change in the conditioner's status lights after I played with the profiles via the Connect app (I visually monitor the BatteryTender conditioner and the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect via a security camera in my garage). Most recently, I had the car in the body shop to fix some damage from road debris that hit the car during my trip from Connecticut to Georgia. After the repairs were completed the body shop kept the car in storage for two weeks with the 800mA conditioner connected via the OBDII port and the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect was plugged into a standard 110v outlet. I logged into the car almost every day via the Connect app to see if the Timer profile was working and to check on the location of the car. When I picked up the car there was no issue starting it.

The conditioner I bought is very low amperage because I wanted to connect it via the OBDII port for ease of connecting and disconnecting the conditioner since the 12v accessory outlets in the Taycan do not remain on when the car is off. The status lights of the conditioner have never been flashing red or amber which indicate a low charge on the battery. The lights are either flashing green (conditioning and the battery is almost fully charged) or solid green.
Which one did you buy?

Chuck J

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
BTW, where exactly do you connect to the battery in this car?
With the Battery Tender OBDII adapter I do not need to connect the BatteryTender conditioner to the car's remote charging posts. The OBDII adapter plugs into the OBD diagnostic port that is located under the dash area below the driver's side (on US cars). It only taps into the power and ground pins on the cars OBD port. The adapter can be used with Battery Tender Lithium Chargers/Conditioners below 3 amps.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you want to use the Taycan's remote battery posts instead of the OBDII adapter...

Porsche Taycan 12V battery problem issue with your Taycan? Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 2.45.22 PM

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Interim score with 34 votes:
Now we're down to 18% with issues vs 82% without.
We're on a roll here! :)

Last edited:

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Guys, I'm starting to grow concerned that louv has been replaced by a Porsche bot. Do you think they had enough of his posts critiquing the Taycan's bugs and had him replaced? Is the real louv trapped in the basement of a Porsche dealership in Maine? :CWL:
He was offered an ambassador sponsorship by Porsche. And to win him over they promised to match the quite significant fee by giving equal reward to his favorite charity.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Know what Amp Hours the Taycan 12V is rated and are you using a 5, 10, or 20 amp trickle charger? Louv has a 10 amp. Thanks
I'm not sure what the rating is on the Taycan Battery. However, the LiFePO4 charger I have for my BMW M4 is a CTEK Model 1082 rated at 4.3A max output. I also found this $40 LiFePO4 charger on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087TDDZRG) which is rated at 6A.

I've forwarded the main thread link to my dealer and asked them to please stock a Taycan battery in case I (or someone else) may need it at some point.

I'm simply going to drop a standard charging pigtail down from the battery terminals to somewhere easily accessible from the outside/underside of the car. (Assuming I can find a convenient path without having to modify the car). I have a bunch of these cables and they all have a capped end to keep the connection covered/insulated when not in use. Then, if I do have a problem, its just a matter of temporarily hooking up a standard 12V source to gain access to the car, and potentially a proper LiFePO4 charger to re-charge the battery. No tow required...

I don't see any point in continually trying to keep the battery topped up with a trickle charger as long as I can easily gain access to the "battery terminals" from outside the car...

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
After seeing @louv post in April wherein he "breaks his Taycan" and others since reporting on the same issue AND me not being an electrical engineer, I have to say my anxiety is creeping up.

What I have learned so far: For some people, the Taycan is an exercise in technical problem solving. That is, the car can't simply be driven, parked, refueled, and driven again without some level of concern that it will work properly, and therefore require unscheduled maintenance. And here on TaycanForum, there are a few people who have the tools and know-how to fix or at least diagnose the problems but I am not one of them. I bet I'm not alone in this concern.

For a car this expensive, it's upsetting to be a beta tester.

I am excited about buying an EV. I am excited about buying my first Porsche. I am excited about buying THIS EV Porsche. But if it becomes non-operational due to a 12V battery that may or not be draining when the owner uses the provided app to change charge settings, and you need some advanced training in electricity and/or engineering to fix it, well then we have a larger set of issues.

No, I'm not panicked. But as I said above, I'm getting more anxious about what the actual ownership of the car will entail. I want a car I can drive without worry. Believe me when I say my BMW 650 has given me enough grief. I want to move on and be happy.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After seeing @louv post in April wherein he "breaks his Taycan" and others since reporting on the same issue AND me not being an electrical engineer, I have to say my anxiety is creeping up.

What I have learned so far: For some people, the Taycan is an exercise in technical problem solving. That is, the car can't simply be driven, parked, refueled, and driven again without some level of concern that it will work properly, and therefore require unscheduled maintenance. And here on TaycanForum, there are a few people who have the tools and know-how to fix or at least diagnose the problems but I am not one of them. I bet I'm not alone in this concern.

I am excited about buying an EV. I am excited about buying my first Porsche. I am excited about buying THIS EV Porsche. But if it becomes non-operational due to a 12V battery that may or not be draining when the owner uses the provided app to change charge settings, and you need some advanced training in electricity and/or engineering to fix it, well then we have a larger set of issues.

No, I'm not panicked. But as I said above, I'm getting more anxious about what the actual ownership of the car will entail. I want a car I can drive without worry. Believe me when I say my BMW 650 has given me enough grief. I want to move on and be happy.
I can understand your concern based on some of the postings on the forum. However, there are many of us who have not had any issues that impact on the drivability of our Taycans. I have had my car since April without the need to bring it back to the dealer for any warranty or service issues. It is a car that brings a smile to my face each and every time I drive it. I would buy it again without hesitation.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Once again, just to be clear: I've changed many timers and/or charging settings through the app but so far my 12V battery is still fine.
In fact, I do all my charging schedules through the app. :)

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

That's why I keep on updating the interim score.
There is 82% that is perfectly fine.
Also, there are over 5000 Taycans sold and only 38 have voted...
Besides, on forums you read mostly about problems.
There's really no threads where people tell it drives absolutely fantastic....if you know what I mean.
Forums are about problems but still it's not a common problem but a known problem, big difference.
Sponsored