Have you had problems with the 12V battery or the electrical systems in your Taycan?

• Total voters

B777

First Name
BP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911SC,Panamera S,Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Has anyone tried using a battery conditioner when the car is garaged (mostly overnight). Wonder if it would keep the 12v from draining.
if its a LiFePO4/A123 the discharge curve has a large drop off at the end of its discharge but these types of batteries are easy to recharge with the right charger and can be done at a high charge rate. i would hope that the dealership knows that vs towing the car..IMO
Sponsored

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I wonder how many here have been adopters of early models before and had a perfect car delivered!?

I love being an early adopter. The fun of having something that not many others would have for the next 6-12 months is really appealing to me and I have done this a fair few times now.

This for me offsets any teething problems I may encounter. Agreed at this price point and a brand like Porsche should have gotten this right first time round but I have encountered this with numerous brands including BMW, Mercedes, Audi and many Range Rovers too. Probably the only car I did not have an issue with being an early adopter was a MINI! :D
Very true. There is a level of risk purchasing the 1st year of any new car. The worst for me was a Jaguar that had so many problems that I filed a Lemon Law claim and received all of my money back. Even that didn't stop me from buying a Jaguar XF Supercharged years later when it was a brand new model (no issues with that car). Most recently I had a first year 2014 Maserati Quattroporte that discharged its 12v battery so badly that sometimes it was impossible to jump start even for roadside assistance. The dealership replaced the battery 4 times , replaced wiring, and I drove around with a heavy duty jump pack in the trunk. I traded that car in for another Quattroporte in 2017 (sucker for the Ferrari engine and exhaust sound - no issues with that car). The Taycan has some quirks (mostly minor software issues for me - e.g., nav system sometimes calls out distances in km instead of miles), but this car has me hooked and I look forward to another EV in the next few years.

pod1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
if its a LiFePO4/A123 the discharge curve has a large drop off at the end of its discharge but these types of batteries are easy to recharge with the right charger and can be done at a high charge rate. i would hope that the dealership knows that vs towing the car..IMO
That’s also part of the problem. The techs are newbies at servicing these cars and are unfamiliar with the product other than being trained via a webinar or a conference. When my car went dead they told me to call Porsche’s roadside assistance to have the car towed to the dealership which I did. Now that was a nerve wracking experience when the guy shows up and doesn’t have the slightest clue as to what to do since he has never towed one of these before. Thank goodness for the forum and having a manual. Together we were able to unlock the door with the key, find the fuse box, power the 12v, open the hood and connect power to the battery. This allowed me to turn the car on but it will only go into neutral. I suspect the 12 v needed more power in order to drive it. Anyway it allowed us to push the car out of the garage. Once he disconnects his power bank from the battery you only have a few minutes to get the car loaded on the flatbed before everything turns off again and you have to repeat the steps.
What a sorry sight to see my new car on a flatbed. Sigh.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Ok, latest score from the Facebook group.
About 91% is ok.

Porsche Taycan 12V battery problem issue with your Taycan? Screenshot_20200726-210752

I want to add a few remarks about these numbers:
1. Not every owner is on Facebook.
2. Not every owner is member of this Taycan group.
3. There are over 5000 Taycans delivered and there are only 66 votes.

It's an indication but it's defenately not an absolute number.
In fact, it may well be much less or much more.
I think the last one isn't obvious cuz MOST problems pop up on internet, also this forum so I think there are much less issues than we see here and/or Facebook.
:)

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Ok, latest score from the Facebook group.
About 91% is ok.

I want to add a few remarks about these numbers:
1. Not every owner is on Facebook.
2. Not every owner is member of this Taycan group.
3. There are over 5000 Taycans delivered and there are only 66 votes.

It's an indication but it's definitely not an absolute number.
In fact, it may well be much less or much more.
I think the last one isn't obvious cuz MOST problems pop up on internet, also this forum so I think there are much less issues than we see here and/or Facebook.
:)
66 is statistically significant if the the sample is not biased. Do Facebook users represent Taycan buyers? Unknown. I am not a Facebook user,

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope.
Emphasis was on "if the sample is not biased".
It is, like I said before, namely by my three points... :)
As my Dutch engineering friends in Almelo would say: "We are in violent agreement."

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'd say if you are really worried about it, just uninstall Porsche Connect from your phone. Unless there's someone out there who's had the problem while never logging in to Porsche Connect.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I'd say if you are really worried about it, just uninstall Porsche Connect from your phone. Unless there's someone out there who's had the problem while never logging in to Porsche Connect.
Based on current assumptions, that would be a much more valuable question I think:

"Have you ever had a 12V battery problem when you DIDN'T use the Connect App during your last charging session?"

or more precisely:

"Have you ever had a 12V battery problem when you DIDN'T use the Connect App TO CHANGE SOMETHING during your last charging session?"

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
Yeah I never bothered with the App, after all it’s just a car:) app makes it all complicated

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Well, the app is a nice observation tool after all and I'm very happy about the consumption data, the nav planning and the monitoring of the charging process.
If you want more, just wait, it'll be better.
BMWi got it right after only four years (also secure server issues)....

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Based on current assumptions, that would be a much more valuable question I think:

"Have you ever had a 12V battery problem when you DIDN'T use the Connect App during your last charging session?"

or more precisely:

"Have you ever had a 12V battery problem when you DIDN'T use the Connect App TO CHANGE SOMETHING during your last charging session?"

From what I have seen, this issue is a little bit like immaculate conception - some people deny it exists, while others are making a big deal about it without it happening to them. At the end of the day, no one can still accurately explain why it occurs.

All I know is that In my case, I had just returned from a 1,200 road trip. I did not drive the car the day after my return, nor did I log into the app. 36 hours after my return, I got in the car, and the warning light was there.

So, to answer your question, my 12v battery failure occurred without me using the app to change a profile during a charging session. Hopefully, there are people smarter than I at Porsche working on trying to identify and fix whatever the issue is, because I was lucky that this happened while I was home, and the car still allowed me to drive it to the Porsche dealership. It would suck if the car died and you were in the middle of a nowhere on a road trip. That happened to me last summer in my last Model S, and I had to wait for 5 hours for a tow truck. I have no desire to re-live that experience.

I am hoping that I get my car back this week, since the replacement battery is now sitting in Memphis, and awaiting custom clearance. This is where I feel Porsche has to do better. The battery was shipped from Stuttgart, but there should be an inventory of replacement batteries in the US to assist affected vehicles especially since Porsche knows this is an issue. Hopefully, Porsche is working on this, and I am one of the last to experience this situation.

Finally, I want to add that I certainly not complaining, nor whining about what happened to my 4s - early adaptor things like this are bound to happen. The irony is that I went through 4 Tesla's and an Audi e-tron over the past 4 years, and never had this issue, so I guess the law of averages finally caught up to me. I am not complaining about how Porsche customer service has been supporting me while my car is being fixed - they have been very supportive. I am simply documenting and sharing what is going with my particular vehicle, so I might help out a future fellow owner if something like this happens to them.
Sponsored