12V issue strikes another one

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911, Cayenne Turbo SE, McLaren GT
Country flag
Welp. The one thing I dreaded about getting a Taycan has occurred. Wake up, car is an expensive paper weight. Couldn’t open the door, couldn’t unlatch the charger, nada.

Total of 925 miles and 3 weeks of ownership.

Luckily, Don’s initial misfortune provided ample tips on how unlatch the charger and get some power to the car. First I called Porsche roadside assist and they were useless. Didn’t know how to help unlock the car, didn’t know how to help unlatch the charger.

Ended up calling my local dealership and they recommended a tow service they work with who can get the car started. This worked. Tow service came out, popped the panel driver’s side, opened hood, and started charging the 12V. Voila - car was working no problem.

I opted to get the car towed to dealer and have it checked out. They requested I send them the mobile charger as well so they can pull logs from there too.

Will keep y’all posted on what happens. Hopefully it was indeed the 12v and not something wrong with the main HV pack. Would be lying if I said I wasn’t irritated.

Saving grace was Crossroads Towing. If you’re in the Seattle area and this happens to you you know who to call.

Porsche Taycan 12V issue strikes another one F2C099EC-9288-4A62-9EFC-2F570D743B12

Porsche Taycan 12V issue strikes another one 19BB4F59-E25E-4637-9F23-78C308172FD3

Porsche Taycan 12V issue strikes another one 34E55049-295F-481C-90FB-4A57DB960795

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ask the dealer if they can release the software update earlier for your car since it will be at the dealer struck with a bug that the update is supposed to fix.

OP
OP
Crazycanuck

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ask the dealer if they can release the software update earlier for your car since it will be at the dealer struck with a bug that the update is supposed to fix.
the service advisor did mention this as a proposed fix. Although she wouldn’t know until Monday when the Taycan tech comes in.

Zillion27

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7
Country flag
Man, I am so sorry for you. How incredibly frustrating. I am baffled that this known issue that has been going on for so long now has yet to be addressed. We should be in recall territory. I figured that recent deliveries would not have this problem, I am now getting concerned as I do not have the luxury of losing days dealing with a dead brand new Porsche! Does anyone on the forum know if this is going to be dealt with once and for all?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I figured that recent deliveries would not have this problem, I am now getting concerned as I do not have the luxury of losing days dealing with a dead brand new Porsche! Does anyone on the forum know if this is going to be dealt with once and for all?
That is what I though after Porsche released a bug fix for the charger in August. I believed that the September built Taycan I got would be fine but I was wrong. There were a lot more buts that were not addresses by that update.
Noone knows when and even if the 12v issues will be fully addressed. Probably some software update will be released but noone knows how many bugs it will fix or if new bugs will be introduced by the new software.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The update is supposed to "allegedly" fix it....we shall see. Good news is that is easily repairable, bad news, it likely will occur again.

1) Do NOT change profiles on the app

2) Do NOT change any settings on app when it's charging

3) Unplug the charger when charging is complete.

These 3 things are supposed to help eliminate the 12V discharge

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is what I though after Porsche released a bug fix for the charger in August. I believed that the September built Taycan I got would be fine but I was wrong. There were a lot more buts that were not addresses by that update.
Noone knows when and even if the 12v issues will be fully addressed. Probably some software update will be released but noone knows how many bugs it will fix or if new bugs will be introduced by the new software.
Correct. The 12V issue is supposed to be "fixed" with this update...."supposed" is the operative word.

OP
OP
Crazycanuck

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my hunch is
The update is supposed to "allegedly" fix it....we shall see. Good news is that is easily repairable, bad news, it likely will occur again.

Found this on another thread on remedial actions to avoid this https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10185117-0001.pdf

Also got an email from Porsche just now that I am eligible for a software update. Car is down at the dealership. So folks should be getting it soon as well.

Porsche Taycan 12V issue strikes another one 03506988-D320-4DAA-8713-F4954A7ED6FD

Zillion27

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7
Country flag
There are now so many threads related to this issue and I cannot find the recommended home fix.

Is there an easy 12 V jump start kit one can buy and leave in the car in case this occurs? I would be grateful if someone here could point me to how one can fix this without going to a Porsche dealership as this is now my number 1 concern with the car. Thanks everyone!

OP
OP
Crazycanuck

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are now so many threads related to this issue and I cannot find the recommended home fix.

Is there an easy 12 V jump start kit one can buy and leave in the car in case this occurs? I would be grateful if someone here could point me to how one can fix this without going to a Porsche dealership as this is now my number 1 concern with the car. Thanks everyone!
@daveo4EV posted something before. I think it://www.amazon.com/dp/B016UG6PWE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_H9TRKBK6Y91YDN27K77J

my only recommendation is to default to Porsche first. If you fry the electronics that’s an expensive mistake. Rather have Porsche send someone out to handle it and be under warranty. Also they’ll have more data on the issue itself to surface for future recalls or campaigns.

Zillion27

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7
Country flag
OP
OP
Crazycanuck

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Haha i got to reading through step 12 of @daveo4EV excellent step by step “fix it yourself”... and then went back to your and his recommendation that is: “call Porsche”. Fingers crossed this is fixed by the time I get mine. Thanks @Crazycanuck !
heh yea. Btw, when my Porsche dealer recommended tow guy came. He explicitly asked if I or anyone else touched the driver’s panel and tried to wake it up. He then mentioned if I did and messed it up it would not be under warranty. Also dealer is asking them to unplug and bring the charging equipment as well.

So sounds like they’re under pretty rigid process for this.

Adding to @daveo4EV’s steps. I’d call your local Porsche dealer first. See if they can send a tow that has dealt with this problem. That’s what I did. Porsche Assist will send a random tow and they may not know how to wake it up and certainly don’t want them to drag the car out.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
heh yea. Btw, when my Porsche dealer recommended tow guy came. He explicitly asked if I or anyone else touched the driver’s panel and tried to wake it up. He then mentioned if I did and messed it up it would not be under warranty. Also dealer is asking them to unplug and bring the charging equipment as well.
I'm all for involving your dealer if you have time - they will bill Porsche for it and this problem gets more expensive by one more car. That said, since the process to wake up the car is described in the Porsche-published Good to Know manual, how can following their procedure void the warranty? If that's true, that's a real nut punch...

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag

Never had a problem and never used the app, never used any of the ‘smart functions’.
Even after not driving for a month the car worked.
Sponsored