f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
šŸ‘. As per comments above re Portugal etc. this should have been a standard fitment item on the Taycan in my opinion.
I did see posts claiming it is quite a heavy bit of hardware added, though never seen a Porsche document showing how heavy.
Good job I didn't know beforehand...
Sponsored

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I did see posts claiming it is quite a heavy bit of hardware added, though never seen a Porsche document showing how heavy.
Weight could be a concern.

Then again, I just noticed a 160Kwh charger not far away from my home that states 500V

I wonder if that is processed by the DC / DC converter when charging. If yes, then it appears it's not only tesla super chargers that need that converter here. Maybe that's the reason they spec it as base here

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I've never understood a few things:
  • why is this not standard world wide - porsche makes a premium performance product - this is premium performance
  • this is too confusing for people to be left to their own devices - it's about optimizing a detail people have no control over - public/commercial infrastructure and how it provisioned/installed - honestly this should not be up to the end user
  • people failing to spec this to save a small fraction of their vehicle's total cost - honestly it is less money than the _SOFTWARE_ ONLY EV sound option ($500 in the US vs. $460 for the 400V/150kW option) - it's one of the cheapest options on _ANY_ porsche options list for any model.
  • it will be an experience issue - taking 3x longer to charge than strictly necessary - not a premium experience
I've always recommended it and questioned porsche decision in this space for it to even be an option - frankly it shouldn't be an option - would probably simplify their supply chain.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I've never understood a few things:
  • why is this not standard world wide - porsche makes a premium performance product - this is premium performance
Same reason they don't give you electric folding mirrors etc as standard....

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
  • this is too confusing for people to be left to their own devices - it's about optimizing a detail people have no control over - public/commercial infrastructure and how it provisioned/installed - honestly this should not be up to the end user
  • people failing to spec this to save a small fraction of their vehicle's total cost - honestly it is less money than the _SOFTWARE_ ONLY EV sound option ($500 in the US vs. $460 for the 400V/150kW option) - it's one of the cheapest options on _ANY_ porsche options list for any model.
Not to mention that most Sales guys have little knowledge about that option and why it is a must have!

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
I believe the 22kW onboard AC charger is the ā€˜big beastā€™ itā€™s bolted to the front of the power stack over the front axle. Itā€™s also waaaaay more expensive than the standard on-board AC charger. So I get that isnā€™t standard fit.

The 150kW DC ā€œboosterā€ however is one and the same unit as the main power contactor unit.

I donā€™t think there is a significant weight or size penalty for the 150 kW version vs 50 kW version.

Top of the stackā€¦
Porsche Taycan 150kw/400V retrofit? IMG_0566

Bottom of the stackā€¦
Porsche Taycan 150kw/400V retrofit? IMG_0567

Towards the front of the stackā€¦
Porsche Taycan 150kw/400V retrofit? IMG_0568

Can see them all mounted here, together with the infamous Webasto heaterā€¦

Porsche Taycan 150kw/400V retrofit? Taycan platform chassis

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
my guy, we don't get adaptive cruise control standard (included on a base Honda Civic), to say less an entire onboard charging system for half voltage. nobody should be surprised by this