First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.1 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Evening all

For those that have ticked the 150kwh DC option, how many have actually needed to use it?

Thanks

M
Sponsored

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I'm in the US. I have the option, and in a year of Taycan ownership I don't think it's come in handy once yet. Most of my DC charging has been at EA stations which are 800V (and therefore the 150kW onboard charging option doesn't apply) or at a 400V station like EVGo which only delivered 50kW max. I *may* have been to a 62.5kW or 125kW 400V DC charger once, but I'm not certain.

Even so, I'm glad I have it as it was relatively inexpensive to option and could come in handy especially if Tesla makes good on the promise to open up Superchargers to non-Tesla use

Brent

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Evening all

For those that have ticked the 150kwh DC option, how many have actually needed to use it?

Thanks

M
Not yet but with the Tesla Supercharger network (400v) opening up in Europe, trips to Ireland , and legacy / new BP EVSEs being deployed it is a no brainer to tick the box for UK / Ireland.

gtr_skyline

First Name
Prashan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo (on order)
Country flag
Not yet but with the Tesla Supercharger network (400v) opening up in Europe, trips to Ireland , and legacy / new BP EVSEs being deployed it is a no brainer to tick the box for UK / Ireland.
Option ticked on my order...1 year to wait

OP
OP

Weston

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.1 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Thanks all, I should have said that I was looking at a second hand Taycan and wondered whether it was key to have it or not.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
At best it's nice-to-have, but certainly not a dealbreaker.
I agree. Over the last three years the Tesla Supercharger stations have become fairly busy. It's not uncommon to get a message when you plug into the charger like, "This is a busy location, your max charge is being cut back." Also the chargers are shared with one to three other chargers. So once someone parks next to you, the charging rates drops considerably. Finally, I think Tesla owners will resent other vehicle brands using the chargers. I know I did not appreciate Audi owners using the hotel Tesla destination chargers with a TeslaTap leaving me without a charger.

I am not planning to use Tesla Superchargers unless they have dedicated CCS chargers that Tesla cars cannot use.

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Here in the UK (and across Europe) - Tesla SC's have CCS connectors. Tesla are aware of concerns from Tesla owners - and are selecting a few sites that should not cause a problem (time will tell).

I think it will require more infrastructure work for the 'opening up' to be rolled out in the US.

Also in the UK (and probably elsewhere in Europe) - Tesla destination charges often have only one where non-Tesla cars are allowed.

cheers

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I agree. Over the last three years the Tesla Supercharger stations have become fairly busy. It's not uncommon to get a message when you plug into the charger like, "This is a busy location, your max charge is being cut back." Also the chargers are shared with one to three other chargers. So once someone parks next to you, the charging rates drops considerably. Finally, I think Tesla owners will resent other vehicle brands using the chargers. I know I did not appreciate Audi owners using the hotel Tesla destination chargers with a TeslaTap leaving me without a charger.

I am not planning to use Tesla Superchargers unless they have dedicated CCS chargers that Tesla cars cannot use.
it makes sense that Tesla will eventually offer CCS for North American Tesla's - I believe they already work with CCS in Europe - it's unsustainable for there to be "two" networks…this will all eventually shake out and there will be more chargers for everyone - no one should be excluded from getting a fast charge just because of what vendor they purchased their vehicle from…

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
it makes sense that Tesla will eventually offer CCS for North American Tesla's - I believe they already work with CCS in Europe - it's unsustainable for there to be "two" networks…this will all eventually shake out and there will be more chargers for everyone - no one should be excluded from getting a fast charge just because of what vendor they purchased their vehicle from…
It's unfortunate that the Tesla plug could not have been adopted by the rest of the industry. The AC/DC design is much more elegant than the unwieldy CCS plug.
Sponsored