2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

Dcgator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan
Country flag
Last night I was going to respond to this thread and say I have a 2020 turbo with 2100 miles which has been nearly flawless. Fast forward 18 hours in my car is dead in my garage.

I was at a town for five days and didn’t drive the car. It’s still had over 70% charge. It was alive when retrieved my work bag out of the trunk this morning. I plugged it in around 8AM and drove another vehicle to work. 10 hours later at 6PM I found the the 12v system to be completely dead. The keys were not in proximity to the car.

Will call the dealer in the morning.

Last edited:

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
3 months with 2020 4S and 4000 miles with no issues. Most rattles I hear are from contents in my door compartment, not the car itself. Sustained a double blowout at 85 mph after running over sharp metal object with no instability and no rim damage to my Mission E 21's. ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS CAR. Full leather makes the interior.

PITTSBURGHTAYCAN

First Name
CH-PGH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Previous A4, Cayenne, 2018 M5
Country flag
I have a late build 2020 4S. Not a single issue with anything. It will only rattle in the door if a song with an insane amount of bass is playing. Way more efficient than anything posted online, but I do a fair amount of stop and go driving.
Great driver’s car with stunning looks. Tesla driver’s always stare with jealousy.

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have the 1st 4S that was delivered for US forum members (delivered April 2020). I have had no issues with the 12V battery. The app is clunky, but I have used it to set timer and general profiles. I plug in the car and have left it plugged in sometimes for 4+ weeks in a row. I don't have any rattles. The only issue I have is the frunk hand waving sensor is temperamental (not a big issue since it was annoying when it would open while handwashing the car). I have done a few long distance trips back and forth between Connecticut and Georgia using the EA chargers and have not been stranded. I drive it like a Porsche and in the warmer weather still get about 270 miles. It is the most fun car that I have owned. I am looking forward to getting another Porsche EV in the next 2 to 3 years.
So you plug in and leave it to go to 100% and then the charging stops (automatically?) but you don’t worry about taking the charger out of the port? My Tesla friends leave their cars plugged in whenever they’re not driving but I’ve been gun shy to follow the same trend...

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
So you plug in and leave it to go to 100% and then the charging stops (automatically?) but you don’t worry about taking the charger out of the port? My Tesla friends leave their cars plugged in whenever they’re not driving but I’ve been gun shy to follow the same trend...
I use a profile to charge to 85% SOC and leave it plugged in. Even when I'm using the car everyday, my general routine is to plug in the car and unplug only when I am ready to leave, not when the charging is done. It is one of the conveniences of owning an EV.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
I’ve only had my 2020 4S a month and no problems so far. The app has worked with no real issues, other than it being a poor app. No problems charging at home with the profile and I charged once from and EA charger and had no problems activating it and running the charge. I plan to do a couple runs on the drag strip tomorrow and in spring/summer, the track so we’ll see if all is still working smoothly.

AhsanU

First Name
Ahsan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GT3
Country flag
Well at this point in time i would not recommend 2020 to anybody. My car is in service for 12V and will not be done for 2+ months. The car rattles and software is horrible.
I can live with all of that though. What is really upsetting me is the fact that Porsche cant not service these cars.
Ouch.

Is the 12v issue really fixed in the 2021 MY? Are there any reports of 2021’s with the 12v problem?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
yes there are reports of 2021 with 12V problems (one is at my dealer right now)

there is no reason to expect the 2021 vehicles will not encounter 12V problems - it's a low frequency non-reproducible problem that has nothing to do with model year - it has everything to do with if the Porsche charging software freaks out while it's plugged into a charger

for example if you're charging at 120V @ 6 amp - it will drain your 12V battery on a 2020 or 2021 vehicle.

just cause this problem hasn't affected you and your 2021 Taycan doesn't mean it's fixed in your 2021 - it just means it hasn't happened to you yet - but remains a possibility.

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I use a profile to charge to 85% SOC and leave it plugged in. Even when I'm using the car everyday, my general routine is to plug in the car and unplug only when I am ready to leave, not when the charging is done. It is one of the conveniences of owning an EV.
So that I get this right - your profile is set to 85% min charge and your hours are basically 24 hours (achieved in the app 12:15am-12am)?

jimshadow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, DB9, 599, Denali, X1, Tiguan
Country flag
I have an early build MY2020 4S with full leather and upgraded battery. It was delivered to the original owner in April 2020. NO issues to date and no rattles. I do not use the APP as I do not have the title to the car yet (That’s an entirely separate issue).
No 12V issues, although the car IS as the dealer currently with an air suspension issue. Parts have to come from Germany so I’m driving a 2021 Cayenne eHybrid until they arrive.

Jim

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
So that I get this right - your profile is set to 85% min charge and your hours are basically 24 hours (achieved in the app 12:15am-12am)?
I have used either a General profile set to 85% min charge (which really is max charge) or a Timer profile set to 85% for everyday at 4 am.

Mslk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I saved 10% buying a 2020 over a 2021. No issues yet ... best car I've ever had. Eagerly awaiting and will upgrade to the GTS version.
Sponsored