Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
I was curious about the need for the 400V/150kW option if/when Tesla opens their Supercharger infrastructure to other brand vehicles and since I still have a little time until "lock in" on my car I sent my sales rep, Luke Manning at Grapevine Porsche, a direct question about this. Some of the previous threads on this subject (yes I did use the search function) were confusing to my simple monkey brain so I figured ask Porsche. Luke consulted with Porsche and below is the response he received today--

Bottom line is that the option is an inexpensive (relative to other Porsche options) bet that Tesla will open their Supercharger network. Needless to say I added it to my build. I hope this is helpful to anyone who is currently speccing their Taycan here in North America!

Sent: Monday, August 23, 2021 2:50 PM
To: Luke Manning
Subject:RE: Sheridan_ Special Order Deposit Agreement (2).pdf

I thank you for your patience, sir.

Hypothetically, if Tesla was to open up their Supercharging network to other electric cars, then yes, a Taycan customer would be using the 400V charging capability that’s built into every Taycan.

That being said, if the customer is looking for improved 400V charging performance, then the 150 kW/400V OBC option is a worthy consideration. Being that your customer already acknowledges that it is a relatively low-cost option, I’d implore you to check that box on the build. This would potentially lead to triple the charging performance over the standard 50 KW/400V OBC. This could also benefit the customer at other 400V charging stations (ChargePoint, EVGo, etc.) where their output is greater than 50 kW.

I hope this provides the clarity you’re looking for to inform the customer. Please let me know if you need further support, sir.

Safe travels out there.

Best regards,

REDACTED
Area Trainer – South/Central
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
1 Porsche Drive
Atlanta, GA 30354
Sponsored

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
While its a relatively inexpensive option, there is no guaranty that Tesla will allow non-Tesla cars to charge at the maximum rate. No one knows for sure if you will be able to get 150 kw from a Tesla fast charger. So, with the built-in 400v 50kw charger standard in all Taycans, you might be able to use Tesla super chargers and still charge at the maximum rate.

OP
OP
Jsherid!

Jsherid!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 CTS-V Wagon (M6), 928S4
Country flag
To clarify, the previous poster is correct--it is no guarantee that you will be able to charge at 150kW but without it you are definitely limited to 50kW on a 400V charger. As the quote from Porsche mentions, it is a relatively cheap way to get that optionality. We will use this car to road trip to our beach house and our boat so I want as many fast charging options as possible.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
I doubt if many of the forum members will keep their MY20, MY21, or MY22 Taycan long enough for Tesla to make the necessary Supercharger infrastructure changes in the USA to make use of the 400v 150kW charger option. They will be first in line to get the next generation of Porsche EV or one of the other EVs coming to market in the next three years.

By the time Tesla does support non-Tesla cars at its Supercharger network there will be many more EA sites. The second owners of the first generation Taycans will have many more charging locations to choose from and probably won't care whether or not the 150kW charger option is included with the pre-owned Taycan.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
While its a relatively inexpensive option, there is no guaranty that Tesla will allow non-Tesla cars to charge at the maximum rate. No one knows for sure if you will be able to get 150 kw from a Tesla fast charger. So, with the built-in 400v 50kw charger standard in all Taycans, you might be able to use Tesla super chargers and still charge at the maximum rate.
You can't as they are 120kW and so expect something less than that.

Porsche simply need to step up to the plate and make this a standard fit for the low incremental cost to them.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
In North America:

Urban Superchargers are up to 72 kW per stall
V2 Superchargers are 120-150 kW
V3 Superchargers are upto 250 kW

as to what the adapter will support if/when it’s released that is TBD

in europe it’s different…there is no adapter and i”m not sure if the V2 chargers are 120 or 150 kW…

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
You can't as they are 120kW and so expect something less than that.

Porsche simply need to step up to the plate and make this a standard fit for the low incremental cost to them.
V3 chargers are up to 250 kW, at least here. V2 SUC are 150 kW Wien the give full power

Deleted member 6348

It’s a good hedge for future resale value if Tesla does open the, up stateside. Tesla recently expanded the non-Tesla program in Europe. It is just a matter of time before they do it stateside, especially if they want to access some of the recently announced EV infrastructure money.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
It’s a good hedge for future resale value if Tesla does open the, up stateside. Tesla recently expanded the non-Tesla program in Europe. It is just a matter of time before they do it stateside, especially if they want to access some of the recently announced EV infrastructure money.
there is just a matter of time for most of us and then there is elon/tesla time.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for tesla to open their superchargers to other cars in North America like what is happening in europe. for one thing the chargers in europe are far easier to adjust to allow for non tesla charger than they are here, which would necessitate a reworking of the proprietary charger that is in use at their superchargers

Deleted member 6348

there is just a matter of time for most of us and then there is elon/tesla time.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for tesla to open their superchargers to other cars in North America like what is happening in europe. for one thing the chargers in europe are far easier to adjust to allow for non tesla charger than they are here, which would necessitate a reworking of the proprietary charger that is in use at their superchargers
To be clear, I don't care about Superchargers. I'm fine with Electrify America and others. Some people do.
Sponsored