Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It was bound to happen; got pulled over for speeding and am awaiting a court decision on the length of my driving ban. My 27kmh speeding over (18mph) on a 80kmh road in the mountains (50mph) will probably net me 1 to 2 months off the road. Switzerland is very strict.
As an American, I see beautiful videos like this of driving through the Susten Pass, and I assume sports car owners aren't driving at 80 km/h!
Sponsored

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Funny you say that ... after having driven a 911, Boxster, and Taycan for years at "extra-legal" speeds around Austin, I finally got caught speeding on the SH-45 tollway. 101 MPH (162 km/h) in a 75 MPH (120 km/h) zone. Too fast to do defensive driving / traffic school to dismiss the ticket, so the case is with a traffic lawyer now. 🤞
You need to take that kind of speed to SH130, which I believe is still the highest posted rate in the US at 85MPH. I haven’t driven it in a while now, but when it first opened 10 years ago you could go 130 no problem without a cop in sight. Of course it takes you way out of your way most likely…

OP
OP
tutis

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
As an American, I see beautiful videos like this of driving through the Susten Pass, and I assume sports car owners aren't driving at 80 km/h!
nearly every weekend there are supercar clubs going out in the mountains and having a blast.
Some resort to having an absolute max speed of 100kmh so as to only have a fine if they get caught, while others have a scout in regular car go ahead check for speed trap and police, send a message to the WhatsApp group with the all clear and then the sport cars come in but still with some restraint on speed. Then they stop for coffee/photos, for 10 minutes and the scout goes ahead again.
It works fine like this but doesn’t do anything if you’re casually driving home through the mountains

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
My last speed camera ticket was in Chester for 32mph in a 30 zone!

I had to do a 1 day speed awareness course for that.
That is harsh. I thought the cameras were generally set to 110% of speed limit i.e. 33 mph. I know they reckon car and camera speedos are super accurate now so no need for some flexibility in law, but even so.

A policeman wouldn't even look at you for doing that, let alone stop you and tell you off, let alone give you a ticket. I guess it's a tax and a pain in the arse.

I'd echo earlier comment. Have waze on the whole time, even on familiar routes.

SteveGTS

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan on order
Country flag
My last speed camera ticket was in Chester for 32mph in a 30 zone!

I had to do a 1 day speed awareness course for that.
In London it's about to get a lot stricter, our local council are trailing their own speed cameras to make more money, I mean improve road safety. No penalty points just a fine. The trial will be declared a success and rolled out across London.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63322848

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Harsh, I’m not even sure we have police in Austin TX anymore. Not policing traffic speeds anyway.
Definitely time to move and to there then!

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
In London it's about to get a lot stricter, our local council are trailing their own speed cameras to make more money, I mean improve road safety. No penalty points just a fine. The trial will be declared a success and rolled out across London.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63322848
Yes, even more enforcement is what we need in London. Perhaps next up is supermarkets setting up speed cameras on their parking lots?;)

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
That is harsh. I thought the cameras were generally set to 110% of speed limit i.e. 33 mph. I know they reckon car and camera speedos are super accurate now so no need for some flexibility in law, but even so.

A policeman wouldn't even look at you for doing that, let alone stop you and tell you off, let alone give you a ticket. I guess it's a tax and a pain in the arse.

I'd echo earlier comment. Have waze on the whole time, even on familiar routes.
Tolerances are at the discretion of the Police Force.

The recommended level is 10%+2mph. So 35 in a 30.
But it's voluntary and they vary them.

The camera I got caught on is the most profitable in Cheshire and about 10th in the UK.
When I did the speed awareness course (which was ok tbh) about half the people had been pinged by that one camera.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
it sounds like the speed limit is being enforced as the max speed - very little wiggle room.. but drivers look at it as the driving speed. If someone is not driving at the posted speed people get frustrated\angry. So we really have a social dilemma. In the Seattle area you can always drive 5-10mph over with no major risks - every single road too! There are areas at one of our bridges where there is ongoing construction and its posted 40.. people do 60-70 as the brige is a 60 zone. No laws out here!! :/ but driving is a god given right in amerika!

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I feel safer going 95mph, staying in my lane, on a wide open freeway than someone driving 60mph while looking at their phone. I always think about that talking point if I get pulled over, but I'm sure it's a no win..."the law is the law."

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Funny you say that ... after having driven a 911, Boxster, and Taycan for years at "extra-legal" speeds around Austin, I finally got caught speeding on the SH-45 tollway. 101 MPH (162 km/h) in a 75 MPH (120 km/h) zone. Too fast to do defensive driving / traffic school to dismiss the ticket, so the case is with a traffic lawyer now. 🤞
Man, sorry to hear that. I come across a cop maybe once a month now. Thinking about it, it tends to be on the north side of town.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Good luck... But why do you need a lawyer for a speeding ticket? Doesn't sound like you're not guilty!

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I feel safer going 95mph, staying in my lane, on a wide open freeway than someone driving 60mph while looking at their phone.
100% agree! As a motorcyclist I encounter way more issues with drivers on phones, than drivers speeding.

Trouble is that speed is easier to enforce than cellphone usage.
I will say that on a recent trip to Israel I was very impressed by motorcycle cops lane splitting and specifically looking for drivers using cellphones.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61