Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
With so many threads lately about depreciation and technical issues, I felt compelled to share the good side of Taycan ownership.

This weekend was beautiful in Austin. The sun was shining with temps between a low of ~60ºF and high of ~80ºF.

Saturday morning: After the last few months of getting way too fat I thought Saturday would be perfect for getting back into mountain biking. Saturday morning I attached @bsclywilly bike carrier and loaded up the bikes.

What an amazing bike rack! It's rock solid and very easy to get on and off. Here's a photo taken at the parking area of the trail.

Porsche Taycan Another fantastic weekend with my CT4 IMG_1340

Saturday afternoon: After getting the bikes and rack unloaded I needed to pick up a few things. I headed out to Costco and picked up 3 large bags of potting soil. Went over to Home Depot and picked up 3 fence slats and a 4-pack of liquid chlorine. Then I headed over to a nursery to pick up a Sotol plant. All of this easily fit inside the car with plenty of room to spare.

Sunday morning: Off to Top Golf with the family (4 of us). I have 2 sons. 1 of them is 6'4" and 310 pounds. The other one is 6'1" and 190 pounds. We all fit in the Taycan just fine. On the way home from Top Golf we may or may not have hit triple digits on 183 South on a stretch with very few cars around us. It's impressive how much of a non-event high speeds are in a Taycan. The car seems to yawn and say "this is too easy, push it harder".

Sunday night: Loaded 2 large suitcases and a backpack into the back of the Taycan and headed off to the airport to drop off my oldest son. No surprises here, the Taycan easily accepted the luggage with plenty of room to spare.

For me there is no other vehicle that offers this incredible combination of amazing visual appeal, great utility, ridiculous driving dynamics, and keeps me from pumping gas. I absolutely love my Taycan and plan on keeping it for many years to come.
Sponsored

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
For me there is no other vehicle that offers this incredible combination of amazing visual appeal, great utility, ridiculous driving dynamics, and keeps me from pumping gas. I absolutely love my Taycan and plan on keeping it for many years to come.

I love seeing the CT put to use like this since this is how I use mine here in Colorado.

I had a charging component failure last month that left me stranded in Colby, KS at 9am on a Sunday morning. Porsche service got me and the car picked up and delivered the 240 miles back to Denver with only a 3 or 4 hour delay. It sucked, but Porsche vmade it right by moving quickly and accommodating me for what happened. Even though that is the second Taycan in four years I have had charging components fail and then cause electrical issues to brick the car, I still love the vehicle and it makes me happy to drive even if I am spending 15 minutes going to Target.

I am headed on Saturday for a 10 day road trip to Tucson and Scottsdale and taking my mountain bike, but was thinking of taking the Rivian. After seeing your picture with the bikes on the back I am going to take the CT.

Buying the bike rack from @bsclywilly just made the car so much more versatile since I love to bring my bike on road trips with me.

Keep the faith!!!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Birds of a feather :) Pretty much do all of this too with bikes, chores and picking up/dropping off folk at airports etc. Rock solid - although car now at dealership as of this AM for the Heater issue but fingers crossed an efficient fix!

BTW, despite some (to me) bizarre reactions to my post 1+ years ago now re traveling with a (Porsche Taycan approved) spare, I have seamlessly swapped a rear and and a front tire blowout by the roadside (nail and massive pothole punctures) with my 'Panamera' spare/jack and drove all the way home with zero issues - each swap literally done in less ca. 15 minutes.

I mention this as all the above luggage and various other bits and pieces still fit in the Taycan perfectly fine along with my spare that is strapped down flat in the rear :). The concept of waiting by the side of the road for a tow truck due to a flat tire is beyond my personal comprehension but others clearly feel differently - and to each their own!

Car is indeed just a great all rounder!

Pic from last rear blowout -car on high and in jack mode, spacer on standby (it's jacked up on front end at home here)!
Porsche Taycan Another fantastic weekend with my CT4 IMG_4344

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I love seeing the CT put to use like this since this is how I use mine here in Colorado.

I had a charging component failure last month that left me stranded in Colby, KS at 9am on a Sunday morning. Porsche service got me and the car picked up and delivered the 240 miles back to Denver with only a 3 or 4 hour delay. It sucked, but Porsche vmade it right by moving quickly and accommodating me for what happened. Even though that is the second Taycan in four years I have had charging components fail and then cause electrical issues to brick the car, I still love the vehicle and it makes me happy to drive even if I am spending 15 minutes going to Target.

I am headed on Saturday for a 10 day road trip to Tucson and Scottsdale and taking my mountain bike, but was thinking of taking the Rivian. After seeing your picture with the bikes on the back I am going to take the CT.

Buying the bike rack from @bsclywilly just made the car so much more versatile since I love to bring my bike on road trips with me.

Keep the faith!!!
Hey - meant to ask - have you (or anyone else) tried to rig a fork holder on one (opposite) side of the 1UP rack to effectively lower the profile of the two bikes - not sure how much extra efficiency this would provide but planning to mess about with it at some pt (of course assumes you still have room for the one or two wheels in the car :)?

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey - meant to ask - have you (or anyone else) tried to rig a fork holder on one (opposite) side of the 1UP rack to effectively lower the profile of the two bikes - not sure how much extra efficiency this would provide but planning to mess about with it at some pt (of course assumes you still have room for the one or two wheels in the car :)?

I have never tried to put a fork holder on the one side to lower the bike height to see if that will improve airflow over the car when a bike is on the back.

My bike is an XL mt. bike, so what I do to help air flow is lower the seat post and saddle so it sits below the car roof line.

I remember the days before the CT when I would install the cross bars across the top of my Taycan sedan and load the bike on the top. That was a sight to see! That really killed efficiency, so if there is a little efficiency loss due to the bike being a little exposed to airflow while sitting on the back of the CT it sure beats the hell out of putting the bike on the roof.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have never tried to put a fork holder on the one side to lower the bike height to see if that will improve airflow over the car when a bike is on the back.

My bike is an XL mt. bike, so what I do to help air flow is lower the seat post and saddle so it sits below the car roof line.

I remember the days before the CT when I would install the cross bars across the top of my Taycan sedan and load the bike on the top. That was a sight to see! That really killed efficiency, so if there is a little efficiency loss due to the bike being a little exposed to airflow while sitting on the back of the CT it sure beats the hell out of putting the bike on the roof.
Hear that - never been a fan of putting bikes on any roof - too many bad things can happen - at least in my head :)!

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hear that - never been a fan of putting bikes on any roof - too many bad things can happen - at least in my head :)!

In the fall of 2020 and the Spring of 2021 when I was not traveling for work and desperate to get out of the house and hit the road, this is what I resorted to. This was my first Taycan that I got in May, 2020.

Porsche Taycan Another fantastic weekend with my CT4 IMG_0300.HEIC
Porsche Taycan Another fantastic weekend with my CT4 IMG_0632.HEIC

The CT4S makes bike transport sooooooooooooo much easier.

Porsche Taycan Another fantastic weekend with my CT4 image000003

The CT picture shows my current set up, so regardless what I do the size of the bike will always be sticking up above the roofline and impacting efficiency.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In the fall of 2020 and the Spring of 2021 when I was not traveling for work and desperate to get out of the house and hit the road, this is what I resorted to. This was my first Taycan that I got in May, 2020.

IMG_0300.HEIC.jpeg
IMG_0632.HEIC.png

The CT4S makes bike transport sooooooooooooo much easier.

image000003.jpg

The CT picture shows my current set up, so regardless what I do the size of the bike will always be sticking up above the roofline and impacting efficiency.
Mines a large and the wife’s a S - again would be just guessing re any impactful efficiency gains by dropping lower - would be cool if Porsche or some 3rd party showed a rear bike setup in a wind tunnel - I’ll bet Thule or similar have something but have not searched - would be interesting to see.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mines a large and the wife’s a S - again would be just guessing re any impactful efficiency gains by dropping lower - would be cool if Porsche or some 3rd party showed a rear bike setup in a wind tunnel - I’ll bet Thule or similar have something but have not searched - would be interesting to see.

Jully 22, 2022 I got diagnosed with the big C. Obviously, it was so heavy duty stuff to deal with, so the next morning I got in the CT and loaded the bike on the back and drove from Denver to Idaho Falls for the first leg of my journey to Jackson to hide out, decompress, and cope.

The picture below is the result of that drive. You can see the elevated energy consumption due to the long distance with the bike on the back providing drag and the relatively high average speed.

The way I see it, with most chargers between 150 and 175 miles apart, I can live with the added inefficiency if I can bring the bike with me. If I have a longer charging stop, lets say 20 or 30 minutes, I will sometimes pop the bike off the back and ride around for 10 or 15 minutes after taking a rest room break. Getting older and having a broken prostate, the rest room breaks happen a little more often, so being able to break up the drive with a 10 or 15 minute bike ride here or there is great. In a little town like Show Low, Arizona, or in Green River, UT this a great way to get the blood flowing again..

Porsche Taycan Another fantastic weekend with my CT4 IMG_2381.HEIC

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Jully 22, 2022 I got diagnosed with the big C. Obviously, it was so heavy duty stuff to deal with, so the next morning I got in the CT and loaded the bike on the back and drove from Denver to Idaho Falls for the first leg of my journey to Jackson to hide out, decompress, and cope.

The picture below is the result of that drive. You can see the elevated energy consumption due to the long distance with the bike on the back providing drag and the relatively high average speed.

The way I see it, with most chargers between 150 and 175 miles apart, I can live with the added inefficiency if I can bring the bike with me. If I have a longer charging stop, lets say 20 or 30 minutes, I will sometimes pop the bike off the back and ride around for 10 or 15 minutes after taking a rest room break. Getting older and having a broken prostate, the rest room breaks happen a little more often, so being able to break up the drive with a 10 or 15 minute bike ride here or there is great. In a little town like Show Low, Arizona, or in Green River, UT this a great way to get the blood flowing again..

IMG_2381.HEIC.png
That’s really tough - is it under control of still ongoing - hopefully the former?

I’ve been riding all my life - used to road race in Ireland as a teenager but have always managed to bike in the numerous countries I’ve lived in over the last 40 years - most def my ‘therapy’ and just hoping my knees hold out to keep it so for quite some time yet :) - 30+ years of rugby, soccer (ACL, meniscus, laterals) and fairly intense mountain climbing etc. have taken their toll!.

Totally agree re not sweating efficiency too much - more curiously than anything (scientist and can’t help myself!).

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s really tough - is it under control of still ongoing - hopefully the former?

I’ve been riding all my life - used to road race in Ireland as a teenager but have always managed to bike in the numerous countries I’ve lived in over the last 40 years - most def my ‘therapy’ and just hoping my knees hold out to keep it so for quite some time yet :) - 30+ years of rugby, soccer (ACL, meniscus, laterals) and fairly intense mountain climbing etc. have taken their toll!.

Totally agree re not sweating efficiency too much - more curiously than anything (scientist and can’t help myself!).

Of all the different types of cancer out there, prostate is one of the more researched and more manageable, if detected early. Luckily, mine was. I elected for radiation treatment, so I have a future of blood work being done every three months to monitor to look forward to besides the havoc that was done to the other body parts in the vicinity of my prostate. Hence the two to three hour drives before having to urgently stop for a facilities break! But, that beats the alternative.

I go to Houston four or five times a year to visit family that lives in The Woodlands, and I can see that being a decent place to road bike. I am not sure I would be comfortable riding on the road if I live any closer to Houston proper. Where do you ride?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Of all the different types of cancer out there, prostate is one of the more researched and more manageable, if detected early. Luckily, mine was. I elected for radiation treatment, so I have a future of blood work being done every three months to monitor to look forward to besides the havoc that was done to the other body parts in the vicinity of my prostate. Hence the two to three hour drives before having to urgently stop for a facilities break! But, that beats the alternative.

I go to Houston four or five times a year to visit family that lives in The Woodlands, and I can see that being a decent place to road bike. I am not sure I would be comfortable riding on the road if I live any closer to Houston proper. Where do you ride?
I'm on Braes Bayou and for the daily routine to just get a basic workout I use the (thankfully mostly upgraded now) bayou trails which I can jump on less than a 100m from my door and do 20 to 35 roundtrip - not far I know but a good cardio if you push it. Being early retired means I can go out after rush hour and effectively get a near 'object' free run so can maintain a decent pace from A to B :) despite numerous junction crossings!

Decent amount of options for gravel/MTB in newly expanded Memorial Park trails and over by the Addicks reservoir, other locations near Brazos Park etc. but indeed - when I first came to Houston was almost entirely road focused but had to drive 30+ miles from my house to get out to anything close to countryside (Katy and beyond) and to escape the crackpot drivers here who almost universally have ZERO respect for cyclists. Trail riding most doable, road riding in Houston city limits frankly not a good idea imo!

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Great to hear you all are out riding and putting the bike rack to use!

I’m still loving my CT4 for the commute, track days and everything in between. A couple niggles fixed in the first few months and problem free the last 2 years and 40k miles.
Sponsored