JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have always been an Android user, but have dropped the phone one too many times and the screen is cracked. As I need to replace it, I was wondering if Apple or Android works better with the PCM.
Sponsored

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
I have always been an Android user, but have dropped the phone one too many times and the screen is cracked. As I need to replace it, I was wondering if Apple or Android works better with the PCM.
I prefer Android. But I have Apple music on it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Do you need CarPlay or not, if not then it doesn't really matter. The Porsche Connect App is just as useless on both!

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you need CarPlay or not, if not then it doesn't really matter. The Porsche Connect App is just as useless on both!
Nice or not so nice to hear that Porsche Connect is just as useless on both. I was hoping for an improvement.

Maybe the question I should have asked is it is better to switch to Carplay and then should I prefer Apple over Android.

Never been an Apple user so I don't know.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Android does not work at all with PCM. You can connect your phone with Bluetooth, but you won't get native integration (i.e. Android Auto). iPhone works better with PCM because you get wireless CarPlay.

It's worth noting that you don't need an iPhone to use built-in Apple Music in PCM. You can subscribe to Apple Music on Android and sign into your account on PCM.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Android Auto is not supported by Porsche and most likely never will be due to Androids vehicle data sharing requirements for a license - Apple Carplay is supported and is pretty nice - it might be a reason to consider Apple.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I bought an iPhone when I bought my previous Porsche to work with CarPlay. Waze on the PCM is that important. :D

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
if you are ready for a new phone I would recommend getting the apple, it just works better with the taycan

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nice or not so nice to hear that Porsche Connect is just as useless on both. I was hoping for an improvement.

Maybe the question I should have asked is it is better to switch to Carplay and then should I prefer Apple over Android.

Never been an Apple user so I don't know.
I use Apple CarPlay all the time and it works very well. The PCM is still a work in progress so that is the only weak link. Sometimes if CarPlay isn't working quite right I have to unplug the phone and reconnect.

Other times PCM itself seems to have issues and I turn off the car and start over ;)

From a user perspective Apple offers a solution that is fully integrated across all their products, and frankly is much more secure in case you like to do banking, investments, etc. from your phone. I know at times this seems like a religious issue (iPhone vs. Android), but for me it's all about a product I trust will be a private and secure as possible, and where they seem to keep raising the bar on that promise.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Or choose a car based on the phone I drive :p
So perhaps I'm an outlier here.

I totally look for cars connected to CarPlay before I consider buying them. The move to Apple Maps driven navigation is so powerful that at the Lexus dealer they now have "Navigation" as an option separate from the display, and lots of cars on the lot w/o navigation.

Personally I love keeping my contacts separate on the phone and not on the car, and being able to hear and respond to messages safely through the audio CarPlay interface.

Just say'in ...

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Get an iPhone; it's a no-brainer and Klaus Zellmer, CEO of Porsche North America states it most succinctly:

“We will offer Android solutions. Why aren’t we doing that right now? Let’s take a look at the United States. 91% of Porsche customers have an Apple device. So, this is how you most efficiently invest your money. But if you take China for example, of our current customers in China, 80% of them have an Apple device, which is also staggering.

If you ask them what their next device is going to be, actually 40% of those say it’s going to be an Android device. So there’s a lot of movement in the market and obviously you have to do what customers do.”

Last edited:

AlexPx

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Changing to an iPhone is quite simple. I used android since there are smartphones. But about five years ago my Samsung s something felt down. We had a spare iPhone 7. now I don’t want anything else. Just give it a try.
Sponsored