Are You a Range King?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
@kort

Still butt hurt after all this time over a truthful comment made a year ago. You obviously need more fiber in your diet. Maybe a vacation? Lessons on how to visualize letting something go?

I don't want to put you on ignore because you occasionally have something interesting to add, but you really need to figure out how to not take things so seriously. You are going to give yourself a heart attack.
truthful comment? you must live in an alternate reality considering that porsche finally came up with a software patch that corrected the issue for me and many others.
when I was having the problem with charging I was seeking constructive input from people here, not some snarky comment attacking me or my knowledge of EVs.
instead of trying to justify your smarmy remarks a simple mea culpa would be in order.
Sponsored

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Nerds.

i kid…

No, that is funny.

What is more funny is the guy who can't let go of a year old embarrassing post and being called out for it. The poster continually needs to remind me that he is upset with me over my accurate comments about his inability to work an app which were posted a year ago.

Not sure what I can do since my comment on an anonymous vehicle forum is still bothering them a year later other than pity them, or recommend more fiber in their diet. Maybe a couple of stiff drinks? Weed? Weekend in Vegas? People are waaaaaaaaaay too sensitive these days.

Porsche Taycan Are You a Range King? Unknown-1

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
No, that is funny.

What is more funny is the guy who can't let go of a year old embarrassing post and being called out for it. The poster continually needs to remind me that he is upset with me over my accurate comments about his inability to work an app which were posted a year ago.

Not sure what I can do since my comment on an anonymous vehicle forum is still bothering them a year later other than pity them, or recommend more fiber in their diet. Maybe a couple of stiff drinks? Weed? Weekend in Vegas? People are waaaaaaaaaay too sensitive these days.

Unknown-1.jpeg
you are just simply being obtuse. the problems I reported were caused by a software conflict, not by an inability to use an app.
so you can double and triple down on your ill informed insults but the reality is you were just plainly way off base with your comments and it is you who refuses to admit how wrong you were.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I drove normal on Tollway, 70-90 mph (Mostly in the mid to high 80's). Temp outside is 32 degrees farenheit.
Of course: high speed and low temperature.
Last week I drove to my vacation home for a quick day trip, a 160 mile round trip (half on single lane roads where you can’t drive faster than 35 mph). I started with 85% and ended with 18%. That’s with a driver and one passenger.
With my long range Tesla model Y, I made one trip in December and came home on fumes: 3% left (scared the shit out of my wife but I felt perfectly comfortable since I know the car). But normally with the Tesla I use around the same amount of charge as with the Taycan: somewhere between 10% and 20% charge remaining on a 160 mile trip to the house, depending on the time of year. I have both cars set to charge to 85%.

This was my latest trip to the house (the extra miles over the normal 160 were runs to the hardware store, etc.) Started with 85%, came home with 17% left.

Edit: Apologies to all. I realized that on my last charge, the Direct Charge button was clicked and so I charged to 100%, not my normal 85%. A 100% charge would have extrapolated to 251 miles. Temps were around 32 degrees F when I left and 47 degrees F on the return trip.

Porsche Taycan Are You a Range King? 94BD1883-3833-4EA4-BDED-8891339D6100

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
@JimBob

RE: kinentic energy, best I can tell, your trip ends with leftover kinetic energy. You calculate giving it to the car, but then what? It either translates to more distance or (a large portion of it) goes back into the battery when decelerating. Mostly negligible in the scope of the trip, but then so is the KE in the first place.

RE: potential energy, I don’t think it really needs to be broken into segments. Unless you’re going to hit an elevation peak near the bottom of the battery, I think you can mostly look at the net elevation change and ignore everything in-between. Most the energy spent is either reused overcoming resistance downhill or recup’d. At most, maybe take the difference between total elevation increase and net elevation change multiplied by a small amount. But probably not typically worth including.

I just did a 160 mi round trip today. There was a 4% difference in battery usage going to vs from. There was also an 830’ net elevation increase at my destination, which would suggest a 3.7% difference in battery usage.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@JimBob

RE: kinentic energy, best I can tell, your trip ends with leftover kinetic energy. You calculate giving it to the car, but then what? It either translates to more distance or (a large portion of it) goes back into the battery when decelerating. Mostly negligible in the scope of the trip, but then so is the KE in the first place.

RE: potential energy, I don’t think it really needs to be broken into segments. Unless you’re going to hit an elevation peak near the bottom of the battery, I think you can mostly look at the net elevation change and ignore everything in-between. Most the energy spent is either reused overcoming resistance downhill or recup’d. At most, maybe take the difference between total elevation increase and net elevation change multiplied by a small amount. But probably not typically worth including.

I just did a 160 mi round trip today. There was a 4% difference in battery usage going to vs from. There was also an 830’ net elevation increase at my destination, which would suggest a 3.7% difference in battery usage.
I think you may have a point with respect to the kinetic energy. It depends on how the trips ends.

With respect to the potential energy, I was thinking about this at the time I made the comment. I still think the trip needs to be broken into segments. Take the case of a trip with a net change in elevation of 10'. The trip could have had a single change in elevation of 10' or there could have been multiple changes in elevation during the trip totaling thousands of feet but netting to 10'. I just don't think the two will have the same answer unless the energy needed to go up is almost the same as the energy saved on the way down. In any event the analysis would be messy.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Take the case of a trip with a net change in elevation of 10'. The trip could have had a single change in elevation of 10' or there could have been multiple changes in elevation during the trip totaling thousands of feet but netting to 10'. I just don't think the two will have the same answer unless the energy needed to go up is almost the same as the energy saved on the way down.
But going up and going down should be around the same magnitude energy (opposite signs). The only difference is losses, which are much lower than an ICE.

That’s why I mentioned my round trip from today. You can think of my round trip as a single trip with 0 net change elevation and one 830’ change in the middle. The consumed energy difference for each direction is the same as the potential energy difference. Within reason. I can’t read 1/10th percent on my battery. So, I would have used approximately the same energy on flat ground.

I’m not saying it’s perfect, but given other margins of error and the magnitude relative to a whole trip, I think you can (typically) just use net elevation changes (special cases aside).

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
No, that is funny.

Unknown-1.jpeg
A good dose of high quality weed will get you over his fiber deficiency...