Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I have a 2020 Mercedes GLE 350 that has automatic high beams and adaptive lights. They are far superior to the Porsche which work sporadically. Seems like just another bad tech feature that can be changed with a software update.
Strange, mine work fine. Over the 14 months ownership of my 4S the system never failed. I am actually quite impressed with it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I don’t know the answer. But I doubt that the issue is because of US laws. Maybe someone else knows?
In addition to oncoming traffic lighting control, the dynamic high beam disables high beam where there is street lighting and when travelling between 20 mph and 37 mph (dependent also on navigation data) - so not a specific US feature and the same situation exists in UK (for sure).

You can always disable the function to give you back full manual control (Full beam adaptation on vehicle recognition - Matrix Headlights PDLS+ OR "Dynamic High Beam" - LED headlights PDLS+):

Porsche Taycan Automatic high beams 1640855127967

The Matrix lights (where fully enabled (not currently US) there are other features such as Passing Lights, Encounter Lights, Signage Glare Reduction and Auto Headlight Calibration.

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4S, ‘21 Defender 110
Country flag
This. Drives. Me. Crazy.

I cannot understand why they are so opinionated about the speed range where this works. No one else does it this way. I’ve had automatic brights on a Hyundai, Jeep, Volvo, Land Rover and BMW. They work exactly as you would expect. I get into the Taycan and i can’t figure out why they only flip on when they feel like it (come to learn about the speed range…. It never would have occurred to me)

These arguments that you don’t need high beams below 37MPH are nonsense. There are SO many situations where this isn’t true. Neighborhoods for one. Dark country roads, winding roads, etc. My X5 even knew to turn off brights when coming up to intersections or stop lights regardless of other cars.

I was on a two lane winding road through the hills in the pitch black and this was so frustrating. It’s been YEARS since I’ve had to manually manage bright lights at any speed.

To top it off, I somehow ordered in a window where Matrix was on a stop-sale so i don’t even have that hope on the horizon - although if they ever do that in the US I’m sure it will come with the same stupid rules someone over at Porsche thinks makes sense.

Why not make it configurable? Some kind of tolerance or threshold

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Agreed
This. Drives. Me. Crazy.

I cannot understand why they are so opinionated about the speed range where this works. No one else does it this way. I’ve had automatic brights on a Hyundai, Jeep, Volvo, Land Rover and BMW. They work exactly as you would expect. I get into the Taycan and i can’t figure out why they only flip on when they feel like it (come to learn about the speed range…. It never would have occurred to me)

These arguments that you don’t need high beams below 37MPH are nonsense. There are SO many situations where this isn’t true. Neighborhoods for one. Dark country roads, winding roads, etc. My X5 even knew to turn off brights when coming up to intersections or stop lights regardless of other cars.

I was on a two lane winding road through the hills in the pitch black and this was so frustrating. It’s been YEARS since I’ve had to manually manage bright lights at any speed.

To top it off, I somehow ordered in a window where Matrix was on a stop-sale so i don’t even have that hope on the horizon - although if they ever do that in the US I’m sure it will come with the same stupid rules someone over at Porsche thinks makes sense.

I agree with everything you say. It’s baffling why anyone would defend the Taycan’s implementation of auto high beams.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This. Drives. Me. Crazy.

If you switch off PDLS mode then you can manually activate high / low beam.

I have matrix and PDLS+ works really well. Speed control works well too as does street lighting. No complaints from UK perspective.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

I have matrix and PDLS+ works really well. Speed control works well too as does street lighting. No complaints from UK perspective.
Our Prius is the same, at low speed it has a wide but low beam for pedestrians in town, above 40 it goes to normal out of town headlights.
I have had times when I wanted to see further ahead at low speed on country lanes and I just switch off the auto system.
The Prius has matrix lights as standard so am expecting the headlights to be one of the things on the Taycan worse than the Prius :) Matrix lights were removed from my order when they got dropped and I was basically told by the dealer I couldn't add them when they came back on the options list but before my build was frozen.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Our Prius is the same, at low speed it has a wide but low beam for pedestrians in town, above 40 it goes to normal out of town headlights.
I have had times when I wanted to see further ahead at low speed on country lanes and I just switch off the auto system.
The Prius has matrix lights as standard so am expecting the headlights to be one of the things on the Taycan worse than the Prius :) Matrix lights were removed from my order when they got dropped and I was basically told by the dealer I couldn't add them when they came back on the options list but before my build was frozen.
I think you would enjoy the feature set of the matrix setup on the Taycan as it is pretty special.

- speed sensitive
- dipped where there are street lights
- traffic signs highlighted on approach
- dynamic range
- range mode dimming if battery low
- and more besides

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I think you would enjoy the feature set of the matrix setup on the Taycan as it is pretty special.

- speed sensitive
- dipped where there are street lights
- traffic signs highlighted on approach
- dynamic range
- range mode dimming if battery low
- and more besides
I would have, it is great on the Prius, but it was removed from my build.

Overall I wish I hadn't ordered the car :(

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

I have matrix lights. But what is PLDS? I’m not sure if I have that enabled or not. In any case, I can manually engage the high beams now. That is NOT the issue. The issue is that the auto high beams don’t work below 37MPH. Which is silly. Sure, they should turn off with oncoming cars, etc. I’ve had auto high beams in other cars for over 15 years. C’mon, Porsche!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have matrix lights. But what is PLDS? I’m not sure if I have that enabled or not. In any case, I can manually engage the high beams now. That is NOT the issue. The issue is that the auto high beams don’t work below 37MPH. Which is silly. Sure, they should turn off with oncoming cars, etc. I’ve had auto high beams in other cars for over 15 years. C’mon, Porsche!
Porsche Dynamic Lighting System +

Basically automatically controls main beam and dipped beam so that you don't have too, cornering lights and so on.

When / if engaged there should be an A (Auto) displayed on the main dash.

Review section in your manual or Porsche Good To Know App.

Porsche Taycan Automatic high beams Screenshot_20220926-131156_Porsche Good to know

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4S, ‘21 Defender 110
Country flag
I have PDLS+. I know how to enable/disable dynamic high beams, and how to manually do it even while it’s enabled (simple - just push the bar forward).

The point is, i shouldn’t have to. This is very clearly a weird Porsche thing that makes zero sense. It’s unnecessarily restrictive for reasons no other automaker agrees with.

On a sorta related note - anyone notice it says in ‘night mode’ for a super long time even when the sun is out and shining? My car starts in night mode in a dark garage, and often won’t turn off for an entire drive in the middle of the afternoon. Is this one of those “Porsche things” where they get heavy handed about when you should have headlines on and dark mode map?
Sponsored