SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not sure what you mean by setting the auto highbeam to come on. There is a setting that enables the auto highbeam, but you still have to go to "high beam" manually for the auto (vs manual) function to work. You can override the auto by pulling again briefly.
Sorry for the confusion. My issue with the auto function (green icon on) shows up when I’m in my neighborhood - 25mph speed limit and I’m going 29mph. So now I realize that the auto function won’t work in my neighborhood. For those of you who wonder why anyone would want to use high beams at less than 40mph, I worry about hitting pedestrians walking on the street at night without lights on them. Not a political statement!
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Thanks for clarifications, completely makes sense. I know my other cars will also not go into auto high beam if there is street lights and/or the speed it too low. As I was wondering in another post I wonder if this limitation has to do with the US regulation not allowing matrix high beams to work as intended, so they revert to an "old style" high/low logic.

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for clarifications, completely makes sense. I know my other cars will also not go into auto high beam if there is street lights and/or the speed it too low. As I was wondering in another post I wonder if this limitation has to do with the US regulation not allowing matrix high beams to work as intended, so they revert to an "old style" high/low logic.
I don’t know the answer. But I doubt that the issue is because of US laws. Maybe someone else knows?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I think you may be missing my point. Regulations in US (federal and local) restrict use of high beams. Without adaptive headlight beams companies may be using the MOST RESTRICTIVE definition of the regulation. This may not allow use of auto high beam in urban areas (some places do not allow use of high beam in urban areas). So this may be by design. I know my BMW will not turn on auto highbeam if it "detects" urban areas, it specifically states it must be rural areas.

Or am I still missing you question? I apologize if I am.

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think you may be missing my point. Regulations in US (federal and local) restrict use of high beams. Without adaptive headlight beams companies may be using the MOST RESTRICTIVE definition of the regulation. This may not allow use of auto high beam in urban areas (some places do not allow use of high beam in urban areas). So this may be by design. I know my BMW will not turn on auto highbeam if it "detects" urban areas, it specifically states it must be rural areas.

Or am I still missing you question? I apologize if I am.
You seem to know more about this subject than I. I don’t live in an urban area, so the issue never has come up for me. I respectfully defer to you...

BruceF

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
One thing to consider - in an suburban neighborhood sub-25 miles per hour we would likely be driving by lots of houses. When coming up to a T intersection or driving into a cul-de-sac (or likely many other situations) - your headlights are pointing right at houses. With high beams on you are much more likely to be lighting up the inside of the house. One car one time is not a big deal but with the wider adoption of adaptive high beams more and more cars are likely getting this feature and leaving it on driving through neighborhoods. I expect it could become very disruptive - particularly if you have a bedroom facing the street.

I don't mean to advocate one way or the other (and I understand brightening up streets to see pedestrians could be a more important priority) - but just wanted to make a point why it may not be unreasonable for a system (or regulation) to limit the use of high-beams at sub 25 miles per hour speeds in some situations.

BTN1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S & 2020 911 Turbo S
Country flag
Same issues as OP and others. Always set to auto, and have NEVER once come on.

Only way to have them come on is to MANUALLY turn off auto and TURN on.

No matter what speed, how dark or light. Wondering if there is another setting preventing?

All our other cars (5 non Porsche) models all work regardless of speed and as long as another car lights not coming toward you.
So we understand well how feature works with Mercedes and even our JEEP...

But with Porsche, even going above 40 mph on an rural road with no street signs, lights or oncoming cars, it never "kicks" on even through Green A is lit up and activated....

Frustrating but not end of world I guess...

Gambler

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4
Country flag
Agree the auto High beam is not that sensitive and works randomly, I didn't even know about the speed 40-25 miles until I read your post!

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My BMW, Volvo, and Porsche in the last 5 years all have auto highbeam that only work above a certain speed.

Reactions: B61

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It's documented in the Porsche Good To Know App.

Disabled if there are street lights and / or driving between 20mph and 37 mph depending on navigation data.

Porsche Taycan Automatic high beams Screenshot_20210729-070335_Porsche Good to know

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
My BMW, Volvo, and Porsche in the last 5 years all have auto highbeam that only work above a certain speed.
Correct.
Same as Renault and Nissan.
For instance, Renault (Koleos) even doesn't allow to light them manually... you have to press the "stick" all the time, if you want highbeam on low speed.

PTEastBay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (June), X7, E-class Wagon
Country flag
Thank you for proving my point. I am much more likely to blind opposing traffic without the auto dimmer so why have a speed association. Not to many road signs, and virtually no street lights in my area. Just need all the help I can get to avoid the wildlife, especially during the rut.
100% agree. I have never noticed this kicking in, with the green A light on the dash, after 4 weeks of driving. My BMW's work even driving around my neighborhood at low speeds, which is super helpful.

Dr.MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
It’s simple, I would like the automatic highbeams to work all the time. Not just when I am over 40 mph.
I agree my wife’s Jaguar is always on. Thanks for the clarification though. I couldn’t get them to work. Now I know why.

Rock

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a 2020 Mercedes GLE 350 that has automatic high beams and adaptive lights. They are far superior to the Porsche which work sporadically. Seems like just another bad tech feature that can be changed with a software update.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have a 2020 Mercedes GLE 350 that has automatic high beams and adaptive lights. They are far superior to the Porsche which work sporadically. Seems like just another bad tech feature that can be changed with a software update.
Unlikely - mine work as advertised.
Sponsored