Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Poverty Spec Taycan 4S 21'
Country flag
Curious if anyone has tried to ceramic coat the interior b-pillar or something else to protect it from scratches from ingress and egress. A concern of applying a coating would be perhaps making the b-pillar too shiny and out of place of the rest of the vehicle.

Thought from anyone with experience using anything to protect the b-pillar would be nice!

Thanks!
Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
My Ceramic Pro installer likes to remind me that the coating’s biggest enemy is abrasion. So if that’s true it may wear off pretty quickly if you get in/out of your car the same way that I do. :)

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
Why not PPF?

OP
OP
Kakatus10

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does PPF look good on plastics? I was under the impression you dont PPF the outside black plastic parts. I am getting a full front done in PPF, but I plan on doing a DIY ceramic clear coat application.

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
I would think that you would not normally PPF a plastic part like a bumper. I don't have my Taycan yet so I am not familiar with the composition of the inside of the b-pillar. I was just thinking that if you wanted something that was not shiny that covering it with stealth film might fit the bill. The other option might be to just order a new trim piece and then when you are ready to sell swap it in.....

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Matte PPF is a good idea although my installer says it won't adhere to plastic. (I'm having him wrap my aluminum sills) Ordering a new piece is probably the best bet when it gets beat up unless there is some protector available similar to the carbon bucket protectors in GT/RS cars.

OP
OP
Kakatus10

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Matte PPF is a good idea although my installer says it won't adhere to plastic. (I'm having him wrap my aluminum sills) Ordering a new piece is probably the best bet when it gets beat up unless there is some protector available similar to the carbon bucket protectors in GT/RS cars.
Thanks for your reply. I am likely going to try a DIY ceramic coating on the lower half of the interior b-pillar in ceramic as well for 'some' protection. Perhaps I'll post in a couple months when I get the car, still just planning right now while I am waiting on delivery.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
That is probably because the scratching starts at the factory, continues with the transport and at the dealer before you even get your ”new” car. Maybe we need a NASA developed material that will withstand scratching from cosmic dust …:confused:

OP
OP
Kakatus10

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Come to think of it, I use a clear adhesive tape at the track - TRAKKTAPE. I am going to see how it looks. If satisfactory, I will load an image. My car has 65 miles on it and the B pillar is already scratched.
Any luck?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My plan for the b-pillar is twofold:

1. Keep it lubricated with protectant (I use 303)
2. Buy replacements to keep on ice.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm considering trying super glue to hold it in place, just a tiny dab or two.

R88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S (sold)
Country flag
I optioned the leather B-pillars. I'll probably have my detailer do interior leather ceramic coating on it, but pretty curious if they'll hold up better or worse vs the plastic ones...

kev0927

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Audi E-tron
Country flag
The MY22 cars are supposed to have RaceTex B-pillars. Maybe we'll be able to order the individual parts and get them installed in our Pre-MY22 cars. I can't imagine it being dificult.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kakatus10

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The MY22 cars are supposed to have RaceTex B-pillars. Maybe we'll be able to order the individual parts and get them installed in our Pre-MY22 cars. I can't imagine it being dificult.
Yeah it's an upgrade for 1k only after you have all the other premium options including intior in race tex... Not exactly a universal solution
Sponsored