JonesyChelt

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Tourismo
Country flag
I have just got my 4S Tourismo and did my first long trip and only got 190 miles .
I had it on Inno drive at 77mph and AC on eco . 90% of journey was motorway .

The regular journey is 200 miles and I wanted to do it without charging and when I bought dealer said I should get min 250 and 275 in ideal conditions .

I raised it and they say I have to do 1000 miles before battery learns and optimises (currently on 400)

I haven’t seen any reference to that on the forum ?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have just got my 4S Tourismo and did my first long trip and only got 190 miles .
I had it on Inno drive at 77mph and AC on eco . 90% of journey was motorway .

The regular journey is 200 miles and I wanted to do it without charging and when I bought dealer said I should get min 250 and 275 in ideal conditions .

I raised it and they say I have to do 1000 miles before battery learns and optimises (currently on 400)

I haven’t seen any reference to that on the forum ?
Your dealer has not explained this particularly well. I wouldn't class it as battery learning but whatever.

Increased range comes after some miles for sure BUT the main contention will be the weather, ambient temperature, battery temperature, AC settings and style of driving. In winter (i.e. now) you will get a reported 230 (ish) miles on a 100% charge before switching on your AC to say 22C /23C. That range (in Normal drive mode) will quickly become 224 / 225 within a mile or so and then decline thereafter. On a long run you should get 2.5 miles per kWh compared to 3.0 miles / kWh in summer / warmer (20C+) temperatures.

New cars also don't get the max range from the get go. I got my car last November and the max I could get was 220 miles (before considering the above).

The range will climb as the battery is used more and a headline 250 - 275 miles is realistic in warmer temps as mentioned above.

Driving at 70 mph or higher on a motorway is the worst use of the battery - no opportunity to regen - higher speed, cold battery etc = lower miles. The calculation that you see during the journey will however be accurate but you just need to set the expectation that the range is always going to be less when on the move and when factoring in all of the above.

Experiment with Normal and Range modes - to see who that helps with predicted range. I posted elsewhere this week that on a run from Aberdeen to Edinburgh (124 miles) it was more economical on Normal mode than Range mode by 1%. I started with 230 miles (100% charge) and ended up with 38%.

I have had as low as 1.8 miles / kWH on a 32 mile round trip @ 1C - so it can vary dramatically on short journeys.

OP
OP
JonesyChelt

JonesyChelt

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Tourismo
Country flag
Your dealer has not explained this particularly well. I wouldn't class it as battery learning but whatever.

Increased range comes after some miles for sure BUT the main contention will be the weather, ambient temperature, battery temperature, AC settings and style of driving. In winter (i.e. now) you will get a reported 230 (ish) miles on a 100% charge before switching on your AC to say 22C /23C. That range (in Normal drive mode) will quickly become 224 / 225 within a mile or so and then decline thereafter. On a long run you should get 2.5 miles per kWh compared to 3.0 miles / kWh in summer / warmer (20C+) temperatures.

New cars also don't get the max range from the get go. I got my car last November and the max I could get was 220 miles (before considering the above).

The range will climb as the battery is used more and a headline 250 - 275 miles is realistic in warmer temps as mentioned above.

Driving at 70 mph or higher on a motorway is the worst use of the battery - no opportunity to regen - higher speed, cold battery etc = lower miles. The calculation that you see during the journey will however be accurate but you just need to set the expectation that the range is always going to be less when on the move and when factoring in all of the above.

Experiment with Normal and Range modes - to see who that helps with predicted range. I posted elsewhere this week that on a run from Aberdeen to Edinburgh (124 miles) it was more economical on Normal mode than Range mode by 1%. I started with 230 miles (100% charge) and ended up with 38%.

I have had as low as 1.8 miles / kWH on a 32 mile round trip @ 1C - so it can vary dramatically on short journeys.

Thanks that is really useful and lets see how it goes - the dealer did not caveat the 250 mile range and he knew the route I would be taking . Looks like I will need to do a charge en route during winter and see how range climbs

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Setting destination into your PCM Navigation also helps the car calculate an accurate range. You'll notice if you pick different destinations that the range will change slightly as it takes into account climbs/descents and traffic on-route.

Even if you know the way – having an active route helps the car!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Indeed. Also engage PIRM (Porsche Intelligent Range Manager) - vehicle, drive menu options to assist further.

Takes a while to learn behaviours but every day is a learning day.

psglas

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Audi RS4, Defender 90
Country flag
I'm seeing a similar low range on my new CT4.

When I picked up my original Taycan 4S in July 2020 the range was 200-210 on full charge then extended to 250ish after a 1000 miles or so but reduced to 220ish during the winter then back to 250 in the summer.

The CT4 only has 600 miles on it and the range is sub 200 on a full charge. But it's zero degrees here and the heated seats, wheel and AC are all on when you start a drive. I'm hoping it'll extend a bit once I've done 1000 miles or so like the last one but as it's winter I expect it won't extend that much, hopefully 220miles.

I've alway found the range is very accurate once you're on the road.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
To add to @W1NGE's excellent points, the Good to Know app states that recuperative braking is disabled "briefly" (some say a few hundred km? -- can't find a reference) in new Taycans, and again when brake pads are replaced. Without recuperative braking your range may be significantly reduced depending on your braking style and the topography where you drive.
Porsche Taycan Battery learning 3164F49F-3A45-4D38-83CF-C83C33AD3191_1_201_a

OP
OP
JonesyChelt

JonesyChelt

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Tourismo
Country flag
I'm seeing a similar low range on my new CT4.

When I picked up my original Taycan 4S in July 2020 the range was 200-210 on full charge then extended to 250ish after a 1000 miles or so but reduced to 220ish during the winter then back to 250 in the summer.

The CT4 only has 600 miles on it and the range is sub 200 on a full charge. But it's zero degrees here and the heated seats, wheel and AC are all on when you start a drive. I'm hoping it'll extend a bit once I've done 1000 miles or so like the last one but as it's winter I expect it won't extend that much, hopefully 220miles.

I've alway found the range is very accurate once you're on the road.
Thanks that is reassuring

OP
OP
JonesyChelt

JonesyChelt

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Tourismo
Country flag
To add to @W1NGE's excellent points, the Good to Know app states that recuperative braking is disabled "briefly" (some say a few hundred km? -- can't find a reference) in new Taycans, and again when brake pads are replaced. Without recuperative braking your range may be significantly reduced depending on your braking style and the topography where you drive.
3164F49F-3A45-4D38-83CF-C83C33AD3191_1_201_a.jpeg
That’s interesting not even sure the dealer knows that but explains “you need to do 1000 miles albeit it’s not about “battery learning “

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag

This should be printed in a briefing note given to every new Taycan owner. It perfectly describes what to expect and mirrors my own (limited) experience of driving in mild (not warm) and cold conditions since I got the car in September.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Thanks that is really useful and lets see how it goes - the dealer did not caveat the 250 mile range and he knew the route I would be taking . Looks like I will need to do a charge en route during winter and see how range climbs
You might find the overall journey time to be shorter if you drive a bit slower as you could then avoid having a charging stop

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
In cold weather I would set a timer to charge the battery to 100% and precondition at departure, this way the battery and cabin is warm and efficient.
Porsche Taycan Battery learning F09EF4B2-FB75-42A3-A2E1-5DB71DEBA071

The battery temp was +30C when outside temp -3.5C when leaving to work one morning with timer set to 100% at departure
Sponsored