Best Practices for Charging?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
do you guys think it's OK to charge 1 to 2 times a week to 100%? That's what I've been doing for the last 3 months of ownership.
I always charge to 100% at home and use the max range:

Porsche Taycan Best Practices for Charging? 1614051674793

I guess I need less than 30 charging cycles a year, so maybe not much over 100 cycles for my ownership. I use it like my previous ICE but with gas station at home! Love it!
Sponsored

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
I always charge to 100% at home and use the max range:

1614051674793.png

I guess I need less than 30 charging cycles a year, so maybe not much over 100 cycles for my ownership. I use it like my previous ICE but with gas station at home! Love it!
Curious to know how charging to 100-% all of the time will affect the battery health over the long-term. I always felt it to be a bit strange for Porsche to release a car with a buffer already in it and then ALSO ask drivers to limit their charging to 85%. So if there is already a ~10% buffer by default, but they also want an additional ~15% buffer on top of that? Seems like a lot.
I see this is a bumped thred... that said, have any previous posters changed and increased their battery charge percentage, or is everyone still mostly doing 85%?

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
My take away from this is that if anyone is driving over 200 miles EVERY day of an 8 year ownership and subsequently charging back to 100% every night on a fast charger, they will probably have issues with a warranty claim.

Frankly they bought the wrong car!

The rest of us seem best to charge to 85% when we know we won’t have a long trip, but otherwise don’t stress, charge how you want. :cool:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
There is no preconditioning possible. Don't confuse preheat / cooling as being the same thing as if it isn't already obvious this relates to climate control.

As mentioned before any preconditioning is automatically performed and controlled by the vehicle. This can be triggered via PIRM / PCM navigation to a charger where the battery will be optimised (preconditioned) prior to charging.

As far as I am aware there is no need to warm your battery to enhance range or performance.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I read the manual as it being a max of 80% maximum charge for daily operation unless the ambient temperature is above 30C when it increases to 85%.

Am I interpreting it wrong?

Porsche Taycan Best Practices for Charging? IMG_ECCE9B53D7FB-1

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Curious to know how charging to 100-% all of the time will affect the battery health over the long-term. I always felt it to be a bit strange for Porsche to release a car with a buffer already in it and then ALSO ask drivers to limit their charging to 85%.
Exactly. Selling me a 93kWh battery, but giving me only 83 to use. Asking me then to never use that (I almost never go on long trips) is too much a waste.

Battery aging depends on many different factors, some we can control easily some not so much and some none at all. For me the math is easy. Using the full range, I only need roughly about 120 charging cycles over the coming years I own the car. In that time frame I expect the battery to show basically NO degradation, since I charge it slowly with 11kW.

I actually have the feeling that degradation in my case will mostly come from high summer ambient temperatures and simply age.

For my use case fussing over the battery seems ridiculous.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Most folk go 85% which conveniently corresponds to the solid line marked on the charging screen of the centre console.

In truth it feels a bit ambiguous in terms of what's written and how you charge.

For daily use and charging then 80% to 85% should be more than adequate. If planning a long journey then 100% is reasonable too on the basis that you will use most of that charge on part or all of your journey.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
There is no preconditioning possible. Don't confuse preheat / cooling as being the same thing as if it isn't already obvious this relates to climate control.

As mentioned before any preconditioning is automatically performed and controlled by the vehicle. This can be triggered via PIRM / PCM navigation to a charger where the battery will be optimised (preconditioned) prior to charging.

As far as I am aware there is no need to warm your battery to enhance range or performance.
You are wrong about your statements regarding preheating when plugged in. The battery is prewarmed as well as the cabin if you are plugged in with enough power for the charger. Of course this all depends on the outside temperature if it is needed. There is one thread here where the facts are very clear. They measured both the increase of the battery temperature as well as estimated how much power was used for battery heating or charging.
It is also clearly state£ in the Good to Know app as well as the Technical documents.
https://e-performance.io/en/article/taycan-battery
Porsche Taycan Best Practices for Charging? 0B707FE1-2831-4E29-AFF9-95E72C5F5B3A

Try it if it is cold, it makes a significant difference to the consumption, especially on shorter trips, say less than an hour!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Perhaps and I acknowledge that I am no expert or engineer.

The act of charging performs preconditioning - the extent not controllable by the user.

The act of preheating / cooling the interior will indirectly precondition the battery - the extent not controllable by the user.

There is no obvious "Precondition Battery" function on Porsche Connect or PCM.

The last thing on my mind is if I need to preheat my battery (if I could to a controllable extent) before embarking on a journey. The car will do this itself based on all telemetry available to it once on the road. Sure I'll lose some mileage but life is too short to worry about that, right?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Perhaps and I acknowledge that I am no expert or engineer.

The act of charging performs preconditioning - the extent not controllable by the user.

The act of preheating / cooling the interior will indirectly precondition the battery - the extent not controllable by the user.

There is no obvious "Precondition Battery" function on Porsche Connect or PCM.

The last thing on my mind is if I need to preheat my battery (if I could to a controllable extent) before embarking on a journey. The car will do this itself based on all telemetry available to it once on the road. Sure I'll lose some mileage but life is too short to worry about that, right?
Valid points above, but as stated two threads above, the car will further warm the battery if plugged in with precondition enabled and a departure time set. And a warmer battery will yield more range, both because the car doesn't need to consume energy to warm the battery and because a warmer battery is more efficient. That's chemistry and like physics and water, it always wins.

But back to the title of the thread, I don't think any of this matters for daily driving less than the full range. Charge to 80%, 85%, even 100% if you don't care, and drive without worry. For long trips where you want to get the absolute max range, that's when you should pay attention - set a timer for your departure time with pre-conditioning enabled, charge to 100%, and go (in range mode).

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Curious to know how charging to 100-% all of the time will affect the battery health over the long-term. I always felt it to be a bit strange for Porsche to release a car with a buffer already in it and then ALSO ask drivers to limit their charging to 85%. So if there is already a ~10% buffer by default, but they also want an additional ~15% buffer on top of that? Seems like a lot.
I see this is a bumped thred... that said, have any previous posters changed and increased their battery charge percentage, or is everyone still mostly doing 85%?
I am sticking with 85% max, except on the day itself of a longer road trip. I got my Taycan last year when the recommendation was 85%, but did Porsche not lower that recommendation to 80% this year (2021)?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I am sticking with 85% max, except on the day itself of a longer road trip. I got my Taycan last year when the recommendation was 85%, but did Porsche not lower that recommendation to 80% this year (2021)?
yes, from what I've read porsche is now recommending an 80% max for daily usage. it is ok to charge up to 100% for a trip, just don't let the car sit at 100% for a long period of time. in addition, I don't know the exact SOC but it is not advised to allow the car to sit for a long period of time at a very low SOC either. in the tesla it was 20%. try to charge the car when it is at low SOC.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I read the manual as it being a max of 80% maximum charge for daily operation unless the ambient temperature is above 30C when it increases to 85%.

Am I interpreting it wrong?
No I agree with you and in another thread posted some other Porsche fine print that said 80%.
Porsche Taycan Best Practices for Charging? 1614117145902

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No I agree with you and in another thread posted some other Porsche fine print that said 80%.
1614117145902.jpeg
My owners manual says 85%. My buddies both charge to 90%. But none of us will have these cars "long term" and they don't really care as long as the battery is good for 3-4 years.