Taycan 4 CT
Country flag

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
Very interesting. To be clear, your post is about the US, where there is a deal to use Tesla chargers, no less, at BP.
You are likely get lots of off-topic responses to your subject header, because in the UK BP have an appalling reputation for absolutely useless chargers! But the US approach is a totally different story. Fingers crossed for you all.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
My first experience charging the car as an owner was at BP Pulse in the UK.

Wouldn't accept my credit card. Wouldn't accept app payment. Phoned customer services who initiated the charge and took payment over the phone.

All for 83p/kWh.

Will be avoiding in future.

OP
OP
Jonathan S.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Hmm, good point.

How about ... let's go with:
"BP to install chargers in U.S. that might actually work since they're made by Tesla whose chargers actually do work but then again they'll be owned and operated by BP which like all CCS1 networks in the U.S. is borderline dysfunctional."​

Out of curiosity, I looked up the current BP network:
... and here are the PlugShare scores for the three locations in the East:

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Hmm, good point.

How about ... let's go with:
"BP to install chargers in U.S. that might actually work since they're made by Tesla whose chargers actually do work but then again they'll be owned and operated by BP which like all CCS1 networks in the U.S. is borderline dysfunctional."​

Out of curiosity, I looked up the current BP network:
... and here are the PlugShare scores for the three locations in the East:
Those examples do not inspire confidence

OP
OP
Jonathan S.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Does any U.S. CCS1 network inspire confidence?

One of these days I might visit the EA near me that is the original EA, debuting almost five-and-a-half years ago with four 350kW chargers.
None of which now work reliably:

Although at least most of them usually work to some extent, unlike this nearby EVgo:
... which hasn't worked at all since July.

Although that's better (in a sense) than this EVgo that would be so perfect for trips to the in-laws (at the supermarket where we shop when visiting them):
... but it hasn't worked since March.

Blink though is my new favorite-network-to-despise after my visit to this location last night:
... which is already dysfunctional (apparently the bartender is supposed to come out to reset broken chargers) despite being new, although the ~$154,000 state grant for the site was awarded over three years ago.

I just don't understand the boardroom decision-making process that goes on at these companies:
"I have a great idea -- let's make a major capital investment in public EV fast charging!"​
"Sounds exciting! Will that generate lots of income after an initial capital investment?"​
"Yes! But then all the chargers will soon break."​
"How much will fixing them cost?"​
"Nothing -- because we won't fix them!"​

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Does any U.S. CCS1 network inspire confidence?

One of these days I might visit the EA near me that is the original EA, debuting almost five-and-a-half years ago with four 350kW chargers.
None of which now work reliably:

Although at least most of them usually work to some extent, unlike this nearby EVgo:
... which hasn't worked at all since July.

Although that's better (in a sense) than this EVgo that would be so perfect for trips to the in-laws (at the supermarket where we shop when visiting them):
... but it hasn't worked since March.

Blink though is my new favorite-network-to-despise after my visit to this location last night:
... which is already dysfunctional (apparently the bartender is supposed to come out to reset broken chargers) despite being new, although the ~$154,000 state grant for the site was awarded over three years ago.

I just don't understand the boardroom decision-making process that goes on at these companies:
"I have a great idea -- let's make a major capital investment in public EV fast charging!"​
"Sounds exciting! Will that generate lots of income after an initial capital investment?"​
"Yes! But then all the chargers will soon break."​
"How much will fixing them cost?"​
"Nothing -- because we won't fix them!"​
This is why Porsche has to dump the family’s EA, and go quickly to Tesla’s NACS.

OP
OP
Jonathan S.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
For those w/ access here's a recent NYTimes article on what may become the phrase of the year in 2024 or 2025: "range anxiety".

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/19/climate/ev-range-anxiety-a-case-study.html
The DCFC CCS1 options outside of MSP are certainly not bountiful.
But the reporter could have avoided that ordeal by stopping at one of the three different CCS1 stations along his route.
Yet didn't stop at any of them.
Instead, he stopped at a 6.24 kW AC L2 Blink.
Whose slow charging he blamed on Volvo.
(BTW, the above research took all of about a minute of PlugShare upon reading that article.)

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
For those w/ access here's a recent NYTimes article on what may become the phrase of the year in 2024 or 2025: "range anxiety".

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/19/climate/ev-range-anxiety-a-case-study.html
range anxiety is affliction that is usually confined to newbies, once people get familiar with their car and learn it's capabilities there is no range anxiety.

the accounts from dumazz reporters have little value. they get into a car that they have zero experience with and then blame the car for their inexperience.

seen this many times.