Does this trick for maximizing battery charge range actually work? ?

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Range does matter, but for me as long as it is at least 320km/200mls, it's sufficient. After 1 hour of high speed autobahn fun, I do want to stretch my legs and the Taycan can charge. And then do it all over again. :like: :cool: :):D:rock:.

There are advantages in living in the country next door...
And the Ionity charging network is brilliant in Western Europe...
Sponsored

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
My round trip commute is a shade under 300 miles and I freely admit to having had no small amount of concern about the inability to do this on a single “tank” before I took delivery of the car. As it turns out, I needn’t have worried. There’s IONITY chargers 10 and 90 miles from my house (there’s another one 10 miles from work but it’s infamous for being forever out of service). With the internal NAV showing what’s free and what isn’t and the charging speed of IONITY, it’s been a breeze and has required a 10 minute leg stretch on each leg of the journey whilst the car boosts up.

Right now I’m without a home wallbox so all my journeys are reliant upon public charging but it’s doable, and perfectly convenient to boot.

Despite all that, if it was range I was after and minimum cost per mile travelled I wouldn’t be in a Taycan on 21” wheels. It’s a Porsche, after all, and that’s what I really wanted, the fact it’s electric was a close but secondary consideration (and I freely admit it’s the tax-efficiency that encouraged me to take the plunge).

Range anxiety, for me at least, is assuaged greatly by a bit of forward planning and having a contingency option in the back of your mind.

YMMV, as I believe the saying goes. Both literally and figuratively.

Last edited:

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the other day I started a trip @100% SOC with the meter showing about 224 miles. after driving about 15 miles the meter showed 232 miles.
take away what you want from that
I saw that in a 4s I was in also. I NEVER see that on my car. ! mile away from my house and the range is already down by 6-8 miles. The guesstimate is a complete joke.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I saw that in a 4s I was in also. I NEVER see that on my car. ! mile away from my house and the range is already down by 6-8 miles. The guesstimate is a complete joke.
Keep in mind colder/winter months will have an effect on range. If you're starting a trip with a cold car and all the accessories are on, range will drop quickly. (heat, heated seats, wipers, headlights, etc...)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
@John89, how accurate is your predicted SOC at arrival, if you have programmed a destination in your PCM?
I can see a difference of 50 km range depending on if I go south or I go north when leaving my house. But in both cases the predicted SOC in % is very close to the actual when arriving. Assuming I drive as per the permitted speed limits of course.

I have actually been quite impressed by Taycan to predict arrival SOC in % so accuratly?

How does your result come up?
Sponsored