Chargeport cover

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
I still have time to change configuration on my CT4 and thinking I should add the chargeport cover. The functionality itself is OK for me, but since it blocks the air vents it should also help prevent rocks and debris on the road flying through it and hitting the sides of the car. Other options?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I love mine - the best feature is that it “closes” when I unplug - something that my Cayenne does not do (or have an option for)…I‘ve never regretted a powered charge port ever since Tesla added them to the P85D Model S

it avoids you driving off with an “open flap” - something that happens more commonly with an EV since you tend to plug-in/un-plug every day…

but I know people disagree - it brings me great happiness that this little thing just takes care of things for me.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I still have time to change configuration on my CT4 and thinking I should add the chargeport cover. The functionality itself is OK for me, but since it blocks the air vents it should also help prevent rocks and debris on the road flying through it and hitting the sides of the car. Other options?
I didn’t get it and regret it. Forget to close it at least 50% of the time….

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Tick the box.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
There are several threads about blocking the vents with the manual doors if that’s a concern. Including just purchasing the OEM vent covers. But several DIY solutions also.

It seems like people who came from a Tesla that closed automatically are more likely to report issues/concerns with forgetting to close it.

Several people (including myself) compare it to closing the flap on an ICE car and don’t understand the problem.

Some people (maybe @epirali?) reported issues with the powered one getting stuck. Edit: another thread of issues here too:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...rging-port-impaired-error-message.3854/page-2

My wife didn’t want to add it because she didn’t like the way it looked. I didn’t want to add it because it seems like it’s just adding an unnecessary component to potentially fail and cause a headache.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I had it in my build, removed it because I think it would just trigger my OCD. The designers obviously put the air scarf vents on the car for a reason. The same design was copied to Audi eTron GT, so it must be doing something functional for the car. I was on the fence for a while, but since the car does warn if you leave it open, and there is still a flap you need to open/close manually when using DC charging, decided to take it out.

EDIT> I'm coming off of Teslas, most of which had automatic open close. Auto open on Taycan still requires you to touch the car (on Tesla you just press a button on the handle). Auto-close is definitely nice (one of my Teslas was 2013 Model S which didn't have it), but for reasons above decided against it.

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I have had plug-in hybrids with manual charge port cover for 9 years now. I forgot to close the door a couple of times at first but haven't for years, I open/close the door with one hand whilst plugging/unplugging with the other.

Just something else to go wrong and pointless IMO apart from it seeming to be a very attractive gadget to some, given the priority given to it in so many "reviews" .

I wouldn't choose it even if it were a no-cost option.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I don't have them and am not bothered about the functionality of having them.
They do sometimes fail as well.

But on UK roads - with an Ice Grey car - in winter, I would now spec them just for keeping the doors cleaner.

Ronglos

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Chevy Bolt, 2022 Taycan
Country flag
I didn’t get it and regret it. Forget to close it at least 50% of the time….
My Bolt sets off a warning when the flap is left open. You mean I will have another missing feature on my Taycan which is slow sailing along the Mexican coast?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I like the electric one, because you can open and close from the inside - sleek and no dirty fingers. :)

mb3195

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
the open vents are ridiculous on UK roads, they just cause dirt, grit, gravel and stones to get stuck in the vents and fire them down the side of the car. I’ve already modded mine to block them up using some black packaging foam.

Porsche Taycan Chargeport cover ADF4E013-47A3-4F93-8B2E-8302B8CC4974

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I liked the function; didn’t like the look. Also, as having the car PPF’d (is that now a word?), it would add complexity there also.

figured in my 33 years of driving never left a fuel cap open - why should this be any different ;)

OP
OP

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
the open vents are ridiculous on UK roads, they just cause dirt, grit, gravel and stones to get stuck in the vents and fire them down the side of the car. I’ve already modded mine to block them up using some black packaging foam.

ADF4E013-47A3-4F93-8B2E-8302B8CC4974.jpeg
Yeah, this is my main concern. I dont think the plastic cladding from offroad package helps with this either. So I need to either mod the vent or go with the chargeport cover that blocks it for me