OP
OP

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
There are several threads about blocking the vents with the manual doors if that’s a concern. Including just purchasing the OEM vent covers. But several DIY solutions also.

It seems like people who came from a Tesla that closed automatically are more likely to report issues/concerns with forgetting to close it.

Several people (including myself) compare it to closing the flap on an ICE car and don’t understand the problem.

Some people (maybe @epirali?) reported issues with the powered one getting stuck. Edit: another thread of issues here too:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...rging-port-impaired-error-message.3854/page-2

My wife didn’t want to add it because she didn’t like the way it looked. I didn’t want to add it because it seems like it’s just adding an unnecessary component to potentially fail and cause a headache.
The added complexity is a worry for sure given the myriad of issues already reported. I could not find the OEM vent covers though on the porsche site. Its available in North America?
Sponsored

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
We have the power flap on our e-Tron SUV, and I like the feature. It looks clean, is convenient and has worked well. It was also no extra cost.

That said, I didn't order it on the Taycan. I thought it was overpriced for something that should have been standard and I preferred the clean look of the manual flap. It also seemed odd that it ended up blocking vents that were clearly put there for a reason. I get that the openings have caused problems for some who drive on poor roads but have personally had no problems with that. Just in case, I extended PPF to my front doors. Also, I've never forgotten to close the flap door. I can't remember the last time I forgot to close the fuel door on an ICE vehicle either. ;)

I don't think it's a huge deal one way or the other. Like so many options, one weighs the pros and cons and makes a choice. Mine was no, but YMMV.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
How do you combat not getting your hand and fingers dirty when handling the charging plug and cable?
when they said that I was more thinking about the fingers on the charge door itself. My guess is that is what they meant. For us OCD folks with high gloss detailer it's an "issue".

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
when they said that I was more thinking about the fingers on the charge door itself. My guess is that is what they meant. For us OCD folks with high gloss detailer it's an "issue".
Next you're going to tell me that when I use my handkerchief to sometimes close the door, I'm displaying OCD! ?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I don't have them and am not bothered about the functionality of having them.
They do sometimes fail as well.

But on UK roads - with an Ice Grey car - in winter, I would now spec them just for keeping the doors cleaner.
Is there some cleaning mechanism in powered ports which cleans the charge port doors every time it opens/closes?

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Get the electronic charge doors. Your car will stay much cleaner without the open vents. Has anyone ever considered the possibility that the 'vents' are more of a styling statement than anything that offers meaningful aerodynamic advantages? Porsche makes no mention whatsoever of these vents in their aerodynamic analysis.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/aerodynamics-18554.html

I have yet to see anything that indicates the open vents produce any meaningful increase in range, but posts on crap getting kicked up by the wheels and transferred to the front doors are all over the place.

Last edited:

Olle-swe

First Name
Olle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Coupe GTS
Country flag
I still have time to change configuration on my CT4 and thinking I should add the chargeport cover. The functionality itself is OK for me, but since it blocks the air vents it should also help prevent rocks and debris on the road flying through it and hitting the sides of the car. Other options?
Do it! The sound of the small stones hitting the side of the car is horrible.

we will try to retrofit the electrical one. Anyone here that has triee that?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Do it! The sound of the small stones hitting the side of the car is horrible.

we will try to retrofit the electrical one. Anyone here that has triee that?
The electric port is smaller than the manual one. You would have to change the front panel to do this. Will be quite expensive.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Definitely optioned it on mine, but I am a Tesla goon and couldn't really understand why a car that costs more than twice as much as a Model 3, doesn't have it included as standard. In colder weather it's also a bit more convenient to be able to open it from inside the car and depending on your color choice, limits the finger prints on your port.

I wouldn't call it an "essential" option, but it blocks the vents which I wanted, I like the aesthetic, and I personally feel a car of this caliber should have it anyway. Definitely a functional addon that will get used routinely at a reasonable (by Porsche standards) price.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
The electric charge door is one of the things I wish I had optioned. I miss this from my Tesla model Y.

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
When I saw those fingerprints on a customer’s CT charging when I was at the dealership test driving the 4S, it was a no brainer I’d spec the electric cover to operate it from the control screen!

I won’t spend dozens of hours detailing and ceramic coating to then have to touch the bodywork ?

Porsche Taycan Chargeport cover 95B8B8F7-009F-4313-9B30-5624F5D492E7

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
When I saw those fingerprints on a customer’s CT charging when I was at the dealership test driving the 4S, it was a no brainer I’d spec the electric cover to operate it from the control screen!

I won’t spend dozens of hours detailing and ceramic coating to then have to touch the bodywork ?

95B8B8F7-009F-4313-9B30-5624F5D492E7.png
The door doesn't seem any more dirty than the fender in the above picture, so the vents didn't seem to make it any worse ;) The fingerprints however are making me think again, I don't ppf or baby my car, or keep it obsessively washed, but I do get white cars so they cover the dirt well - they just get dimmer as they get dirty , the only thing that makes them look dirty is finger smudges, since they show the contrast of the original white and the dirt-dimmed white. Hmmm..... ?

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
The door doesn't seem any more dirty than the fender in the above picture, so the vents didn't seem to make it any worse ;) The fingerprints however are making me think again, I don't ppf or baby my car, or keep it obsessively washed, but I do get white cars so they cover the dirt well - they just get dimmer as they get dirty , the only thing that makes them look dirty is finger smudges, since they show the contrast of the original white and the dirt-dimmed white. Hmmm..... ?
Exactly… it’s going to show no matter how you do it with the manual flaps. Also I don’t quite agree with petrol tank comparison - you only fill up every 4-500mi, but you’ll top up much more often with a Taycan. So for an average weekly use, I’d say you’ll operate at least 3 times the flaps, obviously way more during a holiday trip. Worth every penny imho!

Interesting comparison vs the volcano grey above, the blocked vents obviously create some « halo » protection for muck (and therefore stonechips I’d assume) on this Gentian blue I drove

Porsche Taycan Chargeport cover 856233DA-B305-4CB4-AC18-5BF2B2F55704
Sponsored