"Charging not possible" error

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
I have a JuiceBox48A hardwired installed. The car (2022 TTS - don't have the colored icons update yet) has the 22kw charger. After a 1hr drive with extra 2hrs sitting in the car in a parking lot with AC/carplay on, I got home with ~46% and plugged it in as usual. The car started charging fine.

Later in the day, I went to check something else in the garage and realized that the JuiceBox was off. Looking closer, the 60A fuse in the main panel was blown. I reset the fuse and then the car showed me a "Charge not possible" error in the center console. The chargeport light was also solid red. The car did manage to charge up to 77%. I have a simple general profile enabled with min charge of 80%

At this point, i tried the following and I still get the same error:
- other charge port - same result
- reset the JB again and gave it a good smack (this is literally the recommended official procedure by EnelX - it fixes a stuck relay issue their units have)
- tried the PMCC that came with the car on a 120v circuit to see if it can trickle-charge - same error on both ports
- disconnected the 12v battery for 4min
- turned on DirectCharging in the center console
- Went on a test drive - car shows no errors or issues and power is as expected on a few soft launches.

I suspect the 22KW onboard charger is a gonner, so I'm going to try the DC chargers around town to see if that would work. First dealer appt available is in ~4weeks so I'm hoping to at least survive on DC charge till then...

I'd appreciate any other ideas from anyone to try and get by until the dealer can see it.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have a JuiceBox48A hardwired installed. The car (2022 TTS - don't have the colored icons update yet) has the 22kw charger. After a 1hr drive with extra 2hrs sitting in the car in a parking lot with AC/carplay on, I got home with ~46% and plugged it in as usual. The car started charging fine.

Later in the day, I went to check something else in the garage and realized that the JuiceBox was off. Looking closer, the 60A fuse in the main panel was blown. I reset the fuse and then the car showed me a "Charge not possible" error in the center console. The chargeport light was also solid red. The car did manage to charge up to 77%. I have a simple general profile enabled with min charge of 80%

At this point, i tried the following and I still get the same error:
- other charge port - same result
- reset the JB again and gave it a good smack (this is literally the recommended official procedure by EnelX - it fixes a stuck relay issue their units have)
- tried the PMCC that came with the car on a 120v circuit to see if it can trickle-charge - same error on both ports
- disconnected the 12v battery for 4min
- turned on DirectCharging in the center console
- Went on a test drive - car shows no errors or issues and power is as expected on a few soft launches.

I suspect the 22KW onboard charger is a gonner, so I'm going to try the DC chargers around town to see if that would work. First dealer appt available is in ~4weeks so I'm hoping to at least survive on DC charge till then...

I'd appreciate any other ideas from anyone to try and get by until the dealer can see it.
Try public AC charging first and if that doesn't work then there is an issue with the AC setup - charge port and / or AC charger.

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hi,
I had the same issue 2 weeks ago.
I also tested with multiple Evse and public charging but AC wasn’t working anymore.
Porsche Taycan "Charging not possible" error 532D2A22-377E-4BEA-B722-81790C11CA25

Finally I called Porsche assistance as the dealer couldn’t take me soon enough and they came with a replacement car.
Now that it’s in the garage, they tested that DC will work but not AC and they are waiting new pieces coming from Germany as it’s not in stock there and for the moment not in the plant either. I’m hopping that they will get the piece this week.
And when they’ll finally have all the pieces I asked to do the uPgrade otherwise I have to wait mid November.

My advise is to also call Porsche assistance as then you get a replacement car, you directly jump in front of the line and they have to work quickly on your car as they are paying a replacement car.

Loltheinternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Range Rover L405, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had a similar error message and could not charge from any AC sources. DC sources worked fine.

Dealer had to replace the "onboard charger" and "DC Power Booster" (3 weeks in the shop) and now AC charging is working as expected.

Sadly I think the only solution is a trip to the dealer.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I had a similar error message and could not charge from any AC sources. DC sources worked fine.

Dealer had to replace the "onboard charger" and "DC Power Booster" (3 weeks in the shop) and now AC charging is working as expected.

Sadly I think the only solution is a trip to the dealer.
Faulty charge port - I had this last year when parts were in less short supply..Requires replacement.

OP
OP
caslca

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
Well, I tried 3 dc chargers and a public L2 charger, all with same issue. The car drives fine though so it doesn’t appear to be the hv battery. @FredC057 thank you for the suggestion! i think maybe it’s a Germany-only treatment you’re getting though. I called Porsche roadside and the only thing they can do for me is tow the car to the dealer, which doesn’t guarantee I’ll get someone to see the car. They also don’t offer any rentals/loaners - it’s something the dealer can arrange.

OP
OP
caslca

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
Update:
Got the car today after it had its 22KW HV charger replaced, along with the ANA6 update (color icons). Verified both L2 and L3 charging works. Had a bit of a hickup with plug&charge - it didn't work on the first charger (error "Payment declined"), but after 20min or so, it worked on a different charger.

The actual work took ~2 days, but due to delays, etc, they had the car for 20 days. They gave me a Cayenne loaner though so considering the situation, i suppose I was treated well.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Think I just got this 😞.

no ac charging I’m either port. Dc worked as a stop gap. Exactly same as the op - my car was on charge and the ac wall charger had tripped.

OP
OP
caslca

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
Think I just got this 😞.

no ac charging I’m either port. Dc worked as a stop gap. Exactly same as the op - my car was on charge and the ac wall charger had tripped.
In my case, DC charging also didn't work. I'd go to the dealer ASAP to get added to the queue.

Out of curiosity, did you by any chance have a heater problem yet? There seems to be a pattern where some cars see a few chained issues. Here's what I experienced, in order:
1. some random electric error
2. (+6mo) AC charger fail - needed replacement
3. (+1mo) Heater fail - needed replacement

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
In my case, DC charging also didn't work. I'd go to the dealer ASAP to get added to the queue.

Out of curiosity, did you by any chance have a heater problem yet? There seems to be a pattern where some cars see a few chained issues. Here's what I experienced, in order:
1. some random electric error
2. (+6mo) AC charger fail - needed replacement
3. (+1mo) Heater fail - needed replacement
Hi
Heater failed 3 or 4 months ago and was replaced with the upgraded one.

I’m going to try and have it looked at via Porsche assistance. Here at least, you don’t get a courtesy car if you just take it in yourself and you also get to jump the queue (6 weeks last time I checked) to have it looked at. I don’t want to wait that long, especially if it’s a blown fuse or something. Likewise I don’t want to wait 6 weeks to be told the part is on 2 months back order as well.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Porsche Taycan "Charging not possible" error IMG_1226
Porsche Taycan "Charging not possible" error IMG_1227
Porsche Taycan "Charging not possible" error IMG_1229
Porsche Taycan "Charging not possible" error IMG_1230
Porsche Taycan "Charging not possible" error IMG_1231
Add me to the list. Breaker tripped while charging on AC overnight. Burned up my range driving to a DC charger to see if that would work. Nope. AC fails on both sides and DC fails. I've also previously had the HV Heater replacement and AC pressure sensors replaced. It's really fun but it's the least reliable car I've ever owned.

Ravi007

First Name
Ravinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
+1 add me to this. Had the heater replaced earlier this year. Then had AC failure and had some sensors changed, and both fans on the front wheel arches changed as they had jammed due to grit. A few nights ago the car had tried to charge, but didn't realise till driving off it hadn't fully charged to my set 85%.

The fuse had tripped. Tried the wallbox again and the supplied Porsche unit - both fail with it trying to charge, and some 'clicking' noise every 10 seconds or so from the front of the car. Both charge ports on either side of the car fail. I haven't yet tried it with DC charging, but I'm assuming its a fault with the onboard AC charger. Just to add, this car has the optional higher 22kW unit rather than a standard 11kW unit. Its charged using a 32a cable at home most of the time on single phase.

I have read that higher currents using single phase can cause premature failures, rather than using 3 phase and lower currents.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I can't charge DC anymore since today. Can I join the club? Or is this AC exclusive?

🤐

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I can't charge DC anymore since today. Can I join the club? Or is this AC exclusive?

🤐
If you scroll up a bit, you'll see that both of mine broke but most cases seem to be just the AC side. In my case, it looks like a problem with the controller that brokers the connections between the AC or DC charger and the battery management system. They're not totally sure yet though.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
If you scroll up a bit, you'll see that both of mine broke but most cases seem to be just the AC side. In my case, it looks like a problem with the controller that brokers the connections between the AC or DC charger and the battery management system. They're not totally sure yet though.
After a good night sleep, mine is back at charging DC and AC. This temperamental behavior is rather annoying. There should be a secret sequence to reboot the whole car (not just the pcm) in situations like these. Leaving the car sleep overnight to "fix" things or even pulling the ground from the 12V feels rudimentar tbh. Even a PC has a reset button.

If there's a hardware problem then nothing can be done of course but so far I've only experienced software glitches.

I pulled the data from the ECU and there was clearly an error accessing one of the chips which seemed to chain into disabling the HV converter 2 which then stopped the car from charging in DC mode.
Sponsored