BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I don't have a list but fire up the app (check the filter setting doesn't exclude anything) and look around the map in your target area. Various EVSEs will start to appear (be patient), select and see who the provider is - you may be surprised.

There is probably a way to find them all but I've not come across it yet.
Ah ok, the app only shows ones that porsche has done a deal with. I just assumed everything would be on there.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Ah ok, the app only shows ones that porsche has done a deal with. I just assumed everything would be on there.
Actually, if you go to My Porsche Web Site and use the Porsche Connect Service - Charging Service and then go to the map a whole shed load of EVSEs are now listed (this is a BIG change) - any of which can be selected and the destination sent to the car (logically if >= 50kW DC then pre-conditioning would kick in automatically):

Porsche Taycan Charging route planner advice 1663930502613

I've not tested this nor does the same list appear in the app but it looks like it will be on the app soon :rock:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
One thing I did notice on my search was how many 22kW AC chargers there are.
Since I mostly charge at home I am hoping I won’t regret considering the 22kW option not worth the cost!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
One thing I did notice on my search was how many 22kW AC chargers there are.
Since I mostly charge at home I am hoping I won’t regret considering the 22kW option not worth the cost!
You'll be fine I'm sure!

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
I'd be surprised if PIRM would not give you suitable 'optimum' choices to select alternatives routes (and modify as needed for preferred charging stops) for your routes. Note also that Google Traffic can meddle in this area and re-route perhaps when you don't want to - can be disabled.

I had a challenge when touring Rep of Ireland last month and invariable the optimum route was via 'L' classified roads which are basically Lanes / single track and therefore not ideal. There are options to optimise the route to an extend but nothing like 'select A-class roads' which would be useful.
Slightly off topic but I’d be interested to know how you got on in RoI with charging. I’m going to Old Head next spring and then hoping to drive along the west coast up to Galway before heading back for the ferry. I’ve sold my RS6 to make way for the Taycan and figured a trip to Ireland might be a bit fraught. Appreciate any advice.

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Slightly off topic but I’d be interested to know how you got on in RoI with charging. I’m going to Old Head next spring and then hoping to drive along the west coast up to Galway before heading back for the ferry. I’ve sold my RS6 to make way for the Taycan and figured a trip to Ireland might be a bit fraught. Appreciate any advice.
Good Hijack Marcus - I am interested too - been promising my wife an Ireland road trip for years.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
In a bored moment I looked at ABRP to see this trip I do 3 or 4 times a year to my daughter’s and have done for 15 years or so.

ABRP recommended the normal crap route they all do and arriving with 10%, so I started looking at the route using Zap-Map for reasonably fast chargers and am now sure I will still be able to use my “good” route and just use the Porsche planner to navigate to each charging station I intend to use :(.

Hopefully there is a non-rubbish automatic method but my experience with sat nav so far is they get you there but not necessarily by a particularly optimum route.
Look again - ABRP can be set up with ANY starting or ending SOC, waypoints, avoiding or "favoriting" any specific charger(s), filtering by charger type and even weather information to provide your desired routing....

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Ah - Thanks

Took a while, but in APRP I just barely made out the tiny greyed-out gadget to pan down to a longer list of settings (doh!) - I could not see it until you insisted it could be done.

Eventually worked out how to update the route to reflect new settings - well it is not intuitive at all and not a very clear interface with greyed-out gadgets etc - but yes I got it to work.

Having said that it chose some fairly out of the way chargers - so I think I could beat its suggestion with a manual trawl of Zap-Map

but nice to know ABRP works - thanks!

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It was pretty seamless but plan ahead when away from major roads & towns. Some of the motorway service stations have 150kW charging points (even marked on the road signs (!)) which can be handy. Sign up for an ESB card as most are operated by them in advance otherwise you may have some challenges.

https://www.esbenergy.co.uk/ev

We travelled Belfast - Enniskillen - Cong - Sligo - Limerick - Doonbeg - Kilmer - Killarney - Kenmare - Waterford - Cork - Dublin (outskirts) - Belfast - Scotland.

Porsche Centre in Belfast has 2 x 350kW units BUT no access at weekends or after business hours which is annoying.

Many of the hotels will have EVSEs but ensure you have your public charging cable with you and don't be surprised if they are 3kW at most (legacy infrastructure).

There is an abundance of garages with shops etc (too many in fact) which look like they ought to have an EVSE or two but don't be fooled as they typically don't.

Key is to plan ahead with care to avoid stress!

My wife created a map layer for Google for chargers along our intended route which we had as backup in case the PCM didn't list them.

We never got caught short and generally didn't have to wait too long if an EVSE was busy.

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
It was pretty seamless but plan ahead when away from major roads & towns. Some of the motorway service stations have 150kW charging points (even marked on the road signs (!)) which can be handy. Sign up for an ESB card as most are operated by them in advance otherwise you may have some challenges.

https://www.esbenergy.co.uk/ev

We travelled Belfast - Enniskillen - Cong - Sligo - Limerick - Doonbeg - Kilmer - Killarney - Kenmare - Waterford - Cork - Dublin (outskirts) - Belfast - Scotland.

Porsche Centre in Belfast has 2 x 350kW units BUT no access at weekends or after business hours which is annoying.

Many of the hotels will have EVSEs but ensure you have your public charging cable with you and don't be surprised if they are 3kW at most (legacy infrastructure).

There is an abundance of garages with shops etc (too many in fact) which look like they ought to have an EVSE or two but don't be fooled as they typically don't.

Key is to plan ahead with care to avoid stress!

My wife created a map layer for Google for chargers along our intended route which we had as backup in case the PCM didn't list them.

We never got caught short and generally didn't have to wait too long if an EVSE was busy.
Thanks mate, I think we might take my wife’s Golf!!! Sounds like you have a good co-driver on board, I can foresee no end of pain and after all it’s a holiday.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks mate, I think we might take my wife’s Golf!!! Sounds like you have a good co-driver on board, I can foresee no end of pain and after all it’s a holiday.
Not at all. Just man up and it will be a real adventure?
Sponsored