Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This did not answer the question. I cannot fully open the frunk unless I can move the car back about 3-4 feet. Is is possible to get the car into neutral by just popping the frunk without actually opening it? Is there some other way to get the car into neutral id the car has "died" so the car can be moved so the 12v battery jump process can be initiated? Thanks
Apologies, misunderstood you
Sponsored

S0upb0ne

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4 s
Country flag
How safe is it using NOCO boost batteries for this? There seems there is not a consensus on this?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I think it's no problem to boost the vehicle - the concern seems to be that when the vehicle comes back online that the back feed from the DC/DC converter charging the 12V system may overwhelm the NOCO booster - I think it's a legitimate concern but I'm willing to deal with the risk

YMMV

please make your own informed decision.

Last edited:

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
This did not answer the question. I cannot fully open the frunk unless I can move the car back about 3-4 feet. Is is possible to get the car into neutral by just popping the frunk without actually opening it? Is there some other way to get the car into neutral id the car has "died" so the car can be moved so the 12v battery jump process can be initiated? Thanks
You need to back your car into the garage so the frunk is accessible. Then this will never happen to you again.

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Got stuck this morning with the 12V failure. I was able to jump it with a 20 year old Ford. Has Porsche addressed this with the new software update that is available? It makes it even more annoying that they say it is an “EXTREME FIRE RISK” to use a lithium battery to jump the car. That would be the simple solution to this ridiculous issue but now I have to carry jumper cables and hope to find a friendly Samaritan in a world full of people that are afraid to be near other people. Massive fail on Porsche’s part with this. If there was a car that compares to the Taycan in any way, I would consider swapping today. This is absurd on a $150k 2020 car.

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
It seems like a big oversight not to provide a manual frunk release incase of 12v battery issues... needing to power the frunk release mechanism is dumb...

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
FWIW I had already posted this but I plan on adding a jumper wire from the 12v battery to the grill area or maybe near the charge port area of the car (will decide once our Taycan arrives). That way if the 12V battery has an issue, a jump pack can be put on it to wake the car back up.

My wife always keeps an extra cellphone battery pack in her purse, so we can just switch that to something like this. Also put a spare in the glove box too incase there is no purse handy.

Greg29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Got stuck this morning with the 12V failure. I was able to jump it with a 20 year old Ford. Has Porsche addressed this with the new software update that is available? It makes it even more annoying that they say it is an “EXTREME FIRE RISK” to use a lithium battery to jump the car. That would be the simple solution to this ridiculous issue but now I have to carry jumper cables and hope to find a friendly Samaritan in a world full of people that are afraid to be near other people. Massive fail on Porsche’s part with this. If there was a car that compares to the Taycan in any way, I would consider swapping today. This is absurd on a $150k 2020 car.
I put a deposit on a 4S two days ago, wasn't aware of this battery issue, calling dealer tomorrow to cancel, no way I want to deal with this.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
According to Ford the bug was identified and fixed in early February so it affected only the very early cars and they claim to have an update already available for those cars. Their OTA update is also just for marketing. The update requires a visit to the dealer. Only time will tell if they really fixed it.
But it looks like they identify and fix bugs much faster than Porsche.

Btw if you watch the recovery video it also needs to power the frunk to open but the wires are behind a little port in the front bumber so it is relatively easy to access.

Last edited:

farazkhu2

First Name
Fa Fa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 750i, Taycan
Country flag
I put a deposit on a 4S two days ago, wasn't aware of this battery issue, calling dealer tomorrow to cancel, no way I want to deal with this.
This is a very good thread with a lot of details and solutions. I placed my order last week even after reading this thread and issue. I assume that not all Taycans have this issue, so I went ahead and placed my order. As early adopters of this vehicle, I expect some issues but I also expect Porsche to take care of them and not leave us all hanging. I am hopeful that this issue should be resolve for at least new RWDs. Lets see.

Greg29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is a very good thread with a lot of details and solutions. I placed my order last week even after reading this thread and issue. I assume that not all Taycans have this issue, so I went ahead and placed my order. As early adopters of this vehicle, I expect some issues but I also expect Porsche to take care of them and not leave us all hanging. I am hopeful that this issue should be resolve for at least new RWDs. Lets see.
Good luck, I cancelled and have a Model S on order. When I cancelled my dealer was clueless about the issue, then he told me it was because people weren't shutting down the car properly. Then he said Porsche had the issue fixed, which obviously wasn't true.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I assume that not all Taycans have this issue, so I went ahead and placed my order
there is no reason to believe this is a “build/manufacturing” issue - or even a model-year issue - it’s a fault with the core software management of all Taycan’s - the only reason you may get away with this line of thinking is that there is a new software update being applied to all Taycan’s that Prosche claims fixes some known 12V issues - there is however no way to tell if it fixes _ALL_ 12V issues…

but to date it’s very very unlikely this issue has anything to do with “how early“ you are in the manufacturing process - it’s an operating system issue which is common to all vehicles.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Good luck, I cancelled and have a Model S on order. When I cancelled my dealer was clueless about the issue, then he told me it was because people weren't shutting down the car properly. Then he said Porsche had the issue fixed, which obviously wasn't true.
Interesting, I just cancelled my MS Refreash order that was placed in January. Have ordered a Taycan 4 CT. I have owned Porsche s prior and have found them responsive to customer issues, we will see on this one.

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting, I just cancelled my MS Refreash order that was placed in January. Have ordered a Taycan 4 CT. I have owned Porsche s prior and have found them responsive to customer issues, we will see on this one.
Problem is, there is minimal experience with electric cars at Porsche so every issue seems to be a new one for them. I just brought my connect charger with a melted plug into the dealership and neither the service advisor or manager knew what to do about it. I was told a new one has to be ordered from Germany and they are not sure if it would be covered by warranty. In the meantime my car is useless because I have no way of charging it (and I'm somewhat concerned that it could burn my house down if the issue wasn't addressed with the latest update that was done on the charger). Pretty wild.
Sponsored