Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
@Yves_0016, battery temp is one of the options you can choose when you set up your Information screen on the dashboard (see bottom line of photo below). When you use the satnav and the car does not have enough range to reach the destination, the nav screen will have a red battery box. After about 30 seconds, it will update the routing to say that fast charging locations were added to reach the destination. The car will condition the high volt batteries to raise the temp enroute to ensure better charging speeds. If you manually input just an address of a charging location that you pull off another app, the satnav and the Porsche Charging Planner are not smart enough to know that it is a Charger location and will not precondition the battery. If you find the same location in the satnav's Points of Interest ->Charging Icon->Porsche Fast Charging, and choose it as a destination or stopover, then it will precondition the battery. You can also raise battery temp by driving in Sport Plus if you have the sport chrono option.
Day2 5.jpg
Thx! Went to my garage and changed the info screen immediately. ??

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
@wemct -- kudos, much thanks, for ALL of this data!! I've been wanting to take a road trip in my Taycan 4S since purchase but have not. I've been on your thread like stink on a pig, as you've noticed. Mainly because I am living vicariously through you.

This is all great info, and mimics my experience with a (not quite as long) trip I took in my Audi eTron SUV a year ago. I had the same "games" of moving around to diff chargers, or parking preciously to allow the cables to reach. I think Audi has a few cars where the charge port is behind the Audi rings which might reach better. Same goes for the Hyundai/Kia cars. At least we have the front camera to avoid hitting stuff :p

Other than the HVAC changes, what does Range mode actually do in our cars if you have the cruise control set? I realize it will tell you to stay below a specific speed but... let's assume you were on a 2-hour drive with cruise control set for 98% of the time. What does having Range mode active vs not occur? sincerely asking, as I've not dug that deep into it (yet) -- TIA!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Here is a summary of day 2 of my journey. This leg of the trip started in Durham, North Carolina at 6:35 am and ended in Connecticut at 5:58 pm. Bottom line is the Taycan is a very capable long distance car even in cooler weather (provided the battery is heated) more than 240 miles (386 km). In below freezing temperatures 28F (-2C) the range suffers but I still got almost 190 miles (306 km). As a reminder, I have the 21 inch Mission E wheels with all season tires. If you have smaller wheels your range will probably be greater than mine.

Walmart – Henderson, North Carolina
  • Location has two sets of 350kW chargers, but only one set shows up on Charging NA app
  • Handshake would not work on 350kW charger on Charging NA app
  • Moved to other 350kW charger and called Electrify America to start session (successful)
  • Impact of cold weather and cold battery kept charging speed low
  • Outside temperature 28F (-2C), battery temperature at charger 46F (8C)
  • Arrival SOC 53%, peak charging speed 55 kW at the 350 kW charger
  • Even though the speed was slow, I let the session run so that the batteries could warm up
Walmart – Richmond, Virginia
  • It took three attempts to successfully initiate a session on the 350 kW charger
  • Peak charging rate on the 350 kW charger was slow 93 kW given SOC at arrival 19% and battery temperature 87F (31C)
  • At 55% SOC, I decided to try an experiment and moved over to a 150 kW charger
  • Peak charging rate on the 150 kW charger jump to 142 kW which demonstrates that the 150 kW chargers are not too bad as a back up if the 350 kW chargers do not work
Simon Arundel Mills – Hanover, Maryland
  • Location is a large outlet mall which made finding the Electrify America chargers much more difficult to locate than at Walmart
  • Tip if you cannot find the charger – cancel the navigation when you are at the location and use the Taycan’s navigation Points of Interest – Charging to find the charger where you are located and input it as the new destination in the satnav and start navigating. For some reason the map becomes much more detailed and will get you to the Electrify America chargers
  • The 350 kW charger worked on the first try
  • Arrival SOC 30%, battery temperature 89F (32C), peak charging speed 148 kW
Mills at Jersey Gardens – Elizabeth, New Jersey
  • Location is a large shopping mall which made finding the Electrify America chargers difficult like the previous location
  • Use the same trick on the navigation to find the chargers (they were located near the Tesla chargers)
  • The 350 kW charger worked on the first try
  • Arrival SOC 23%, battery temperature 83F (28C), peak charging speed 195 kW
Stats
  • Total miles traveled on day 2 was 546 miles (879 km) - total for 2 days 922 miles (1484 km)
  • Outside temperature range was 28F (-2C) for the first 2 hours and then rose up to 49F (9C) with the second half of the day around 45F (7C)
  • Traffic was heavier than on day one and the speeds varied much more due to different speed limits, construction, delays around Washington D.C., and many police radar traps
  • However, my average speed was just 1 mph less than day one
  • Consumption started in the cold weather at 46.3 kWh/100 miles (161km) and decreased to 35.8 kWh/100 miles by the end of the trip
  • Low range was 2.16 miles (3.48 km)/kW (approximately 188 miles (303 km) with 28F(-2C) outside temp and cold battery
  • High range was 2.79 miles (4.49 km)/kW(approximately 243 miles (391 km) by the end of the trip
A few observations:
  • My Valentine 1 Generation 2 radar detector paired with the JBV1 app on Android performed flawlessly
  • The massage seats made the trip much more comfortable
  • The Sport Chrono knob on the steering wheel is a must have. Today I had to switch lanes very quickly a few times. I was able to switch from Range to Sport Plus in a fraction of a second using the knob - there was no way I could have done that so quickly if I had to use the menu settings on the screen (when cruising using the screen is doable, but on the highway when you have very little time to get the maximum thrust the knob is a must) - yes I know you can kick down in Range, but that momentary delay to kick down was too long for what I needed to do today
  • I mapped out the Electrify America charger locations using A Better Route Planner app
  • I used both the Taycan satnav to plot the final destination and Waze to plot the next charger location identified on ABRP app
  • As I got closer to the charger location (less than 60 miles), I used the Taycan satnav Charger Points of Interest to locate and input the charger as a waypoint to precondition the battery
  • On day 2 I skipped some of the stops recommended by ABRP because my range was much better than anticipated
  • In addition to Waze for police alerts, I used the Highway Patrol app which can give alerts much further in advance than Waze. Also Highway Patrol app alerts to aircraft and helicopters and will even identify the aircraft by tail number and agency if available. In Maryland it alerted to a helicopter and said it was the Maryland State Police. Sure enough I saw it in the air near the horizon checking speed on the highway
  • The air suspension and steering on the Taycan are awesome – I did not feel beaten up after driving many miles over 2 days
  • Of the 8 charging stops, I was able to connect using the Porsche Charging NA app at 6 of the stops. Of the 2 that I needed help from Electrify America, one was because the 350 kW charger did not appear on the Charging NA app
  • Sometimes I had to straddle two spots at the Electrify America charger because the cables were too short (fortunately most of the time I was the only car at the location)
  • Even with the some of the slower charging speeds, I was able to use the time to use the facilities and/or grab lunch – the longest stop was 41 minutes because I wanted to get a higher SOC to skip the next charger location (the extra 10 or 15 minutes saved me a lot of time by skipping the next stop)

Day2 1.jpg
Day2 2.jpg
Day2 3.jpg
Day2 4.jpg
Splendid! Thanks.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Other than the HVAC changes, what does Range mode actually do in our cars if you have the cruise control set? I realize it will tell you to stay below a specific speed but... let's assume you were on a 2-hour drive with cruise control set for 98% of the time. What does having Range mode active vs not occur? sincerely asking, as I've not dug that deep into it (yet) -- TIA!
As I understand it, at steady speed Range mode decouples the rear motor and transmission from the drive train, somewhat reducing inefficiencies and loss. In Range the propulsion for the car is only coming from the front motor. I haven't done so, but I imagine you could set the left-hand gauge display to Torque Split and see this for yourself.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
I can verify that it does indeed prioritize the use of the single front motor (unless driver input requires more power). This, together with the AC in "eco" or "eco plus" mode is "Range mode".
In my car / with my driving style / on my roads the difference is negligible (315 Km instead of 300 Km winter time)

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
As I understand it, at steady speed Range mode decouples the rear motor and transmission from the drive train, somewhat reducing inefficiencies and loss. In Range the propulsion for the car is only coming from the front motor. I haven't done so, but I imagine you could set the left-hand gauge display to Torque Split and see this for yourself.
I read that range mode also lowers the car.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@LonePalmBJ + @Gubbjaevel --- thank you both! Now that you mention this I do recall reading here about the software priority to the front axle only. Of course takes me back to FWD vs RWD cars and "pulling" being more efficient than "pushing" for MPG in gas cars. Thanks!

IIRC, there is a way to set Range mode to leave the HVAC in normal mode. I never really understood that, but now I do. If I wanted my heat/aircon to be "left alone" but still wanted the FWD benefits, that is why. Makes sense now!

May have to try this later today as I have plans to be driving and will be on the expressway. Would be cool to bring up the left "torque split" display and see it go from RWD to FWD, too! Thanks all.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I read that range mode also lowers the car.
(FIXED TYPOS)
My experience in my ~650 miles (fairly limited):
If ride height is Standard, and you are going fast enough (Freeway) it drops to Lowered. This is in Normal or Sport mode. Does not require Range Mode. (I've never put the car in Range mode, but I have seen it drop at high speeds).

Perhaps someone with more seat time can elaborate.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I believe range mode also reduces the activeness of PDCC / PASM (less damping, less roll compensation).

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Range mode does lower to "Low" (lowest). (to reduce drag).

Reducing the PDCC/PASM - didn't know about it, but would make sense. Range would only be used on boring freeway riding, so yeah that would be a good idea.

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
Range mode also expands the rear wing at a certain speed if I'm not mistaken.

So, Range mode:

- suspension to lowest position
- Vmax limited (but adaptable by driver)
- airco to eco plus (but adaptable by driver)
- 2WD (front WD) when car is at constant speed
- rear wing extends as from...?? (I believe approx 90 kph, 55 mph).

That just about summerizes range mode I think.

Last edited:

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
(FIXED TYPOS)
My experience in my ~650 miles (fairly limited):
If ride height is Standard, and you are going fast enough (Freeway) it drops to Lowered. This is in Normal or Sport mode. Does not require Range Mode. (I've never put the car in Range mode, but I have seen it drop at high speeds).

Perhaps someone with more seat time can elaborate.
True, but I was pointing out that Range mode automatically lowers the car irrespective of speed. Could cause concerns for debris or high speed bumps.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True, but I was pointing out that Range mode automatically lowers the car irrespective of speed. Could cause concerns for debris or high speed bumps.
So pursuant to the conversations yesterday/here I ended up trying this last night. And yes, I see what you mean (Sorry, I missed the original nature of your precautionary tale). Now that I see it as you have explained here, and I live in a place with horrid roads (Cleveland, Ohio USA) -- I can see this as a "bad thing" overall. It makes me wish my 4S had the SportChrono so that I'd have the steering knob for easier access to Driving Modes. I'd love to be able to evoke Range Mode on the expressway, but want to turn it off after egress. I can do it now but its a sport button press (HVAC/lower screen) as fastest/easiest way. Oh well... anyhow, thx!

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Range mode also expands the rear wing at a certain speed if I'm not mistaken.

So, Range mode:

- suspension to lowest position
- Vmax limited (but adaptable by driver)
- airco to eco plus (but adaptable by driver)
- 2WD (front WD) when car is at constant speed
- rear wing extends as from...?? (I believe approx 90 kph, 55 mph).

That just about summerizes range mode I think.
Last night after work I had a few errands that required freeway driving. Decided to test this out. Seems you are spot on as I had the wing deploy icon on-screen, had the torque split display show the 2WD (cool to see how it switched to AWD if throttle pressed as needed). All the stuff you said here -- 100% matches my experiences. And I did see about 20% range increase over a 35 mile expressway drive compared to a drive one day prior on similarly flat roads, similar speeds.

FWIW -- I do wish the Eco vs EcoPlus options were not ALL we were given. I love that we get granular control (compared to say my prior Tesla and other EVs where the car does what it wants, when it wants). But the controls we have are still a bit limited. I'd love Range mode to be able to not mess with my HVAC (no eco, just normal) but still provide FWD driving. I'd also prefer to able to choose Lowered, instead of Low, potentially.

All great info here-- thx for those who have really helped answer my questions. These forums have been a blessing to help me figure things out that the manual "wording" can leave a bit to be desired. (ex: Direct Charging sounds like "DC" but it has nothing to do with AC/DC as we all know-- sigh)

OP
OP
wemct

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
@arijaycomet, fyi you can temporarily change the default Drive Mode settings (it will revert back to the default settings when you turn off the car). So you can have the drive mode in Range, but have the Chassis height in something else other than Low (see pic). WIth the Sport Chrono package knob you can configure it and save it under the Individual setting, but even without the knob you can modify settings via the PCM. As far as the climate control, I can definitely feel the difference especially when it is humid with the Eco Plus. In Eco mode I don't really have an issue with the A/C or heater, and I am pretty particular about the climate controls. It might also be because I have the side and rear windows and the front windshield covered with a nano ceramic infrared rejecting film (transparent on the windshield) which helps a ton with the heat in the summer.

Porsche Taycan Cool Weather Road Trip Journal w/ Range Numbers 20210119_091818_resized
Sponsored