Custom electric sport sound or not?

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
At least in the US, the non sport sound cars are still very loud. Never had an issue with people not noticing the car in the city or in a parking lot. When my wife takes the car, I hear it in the house when she's coming back up the street.
Sponsored

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
umm, no. The sole reason you don't buy the logic is that you don't live in a part of the world that is urban enough that pedestrians walk out mid block into the streets. I spend a lot of time in California for business, including specifically in Del Mar. It is not a pedestrian friendly area, and people do not tend to walk out into the streets. There is also good visibility of pedestrians on the sidewalks. But if you go to DC, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, etc., pedestrians walk out in the street all of the time. If you are making no noise, they frequently do so without even looking. It is only by the grace of God that I have not hit a few pedestrians through absolutely no fault of my own. You can be driving the speed limit, paying full attention, and then have a pedestrian walk out right in front of you between cars so you don't even see them coming. This happens in Georgetown where I live all of the time. When I am in my 911, which is very loud, this never happens. I am more likely to get dirty looks from the sidewalk. It has yet to happen in the Taycan with the sound on, but I haven't had it that long. In the Tesla, it happened ALL OF THE TIME. On the very close calls, I would honk and frequently get a very friendly middle finger thank you for saving the pedestrian's life. So the mere fact that you may not need it in Del Mar does not mean that it is not needed.

By the way, I don't mean to insult Del Mar or California. I really like it, but I did want to provide some context. Just imagine pedestrians popping out between the cars mid block in a block like in the picture and you can see just how different Georgetown is from Del Mar. I NEED the sound.

tempImageGmjn9y.png
not interested in a pissing match and I spend a lot of time driving in LA, not Del Mar. But in Del Mar, where I live, there are virtually NO sidewalks, and we have cars parked on both sides of the street just like your pic. People walk in the streets all the time because they have no option, and I am surrounded by elementary schools with scores of kids walking in the streets in the morning and afternoon. It can be like an obstacle course avoiding them, and they don't seem to respond any differently when ICE cars approach them from behind (because I still drive one of those, including a 911). In California, as you probably know, pedestrians and cyclists act like the road belongs to them.

If you feel safer with this option then you need it, but I've not seen any studies proving it makes pedestrians safer. It seems a waste of money to me, and with EVs coming into the market at the rate they are now, they will normalize people's behavior to realize not all cars make noise.

tomahawkBE

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
There are companies who have “tweaked” the electronic sport sound of the taycan so it sounds more like a combustion engine. Is this something you guys would do or not?

e.g.

It's not a software update / adjustment or anything like that. It's a physical installation of a boombox / sound exhaust system combined with mobile app. The sound is definitely not bad, I've heard it on a mercedes (non-EV) and it pretty good quality in terms of sound

I wouldn't go for it though

jijitalia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD-ASTON DB9-DB11-CooperS-BM530e
Country flag
There are companies who have “tweaked” the electronic sport sound of the taycan so it sounds more like a combustion engine. Is this something you guys would do or not?

e.g.

Having choice would be perfect - as "porsche sport sound" is great on a race track , but I can stand it as a daily drive (personnal)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Also paid 20K for Ludicrous and never used once. Fool me twice, never again
I guess then that it paid for itself. At least you knew you had no use for the Taycan Turbo or Turbo S as far as performance goes. Turbo premium over 4S is higher than $20K.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, what is next, fake smoke coming out of a fake tailpipe? Fake gear changes (just cut the electric power to the motor briefly to jolt the driver forward a few times while accelerating)? Maybe a mist of gasoline smell added to the HVAC of the car, extra squirt when recharging.

proficient_mathematician

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah, and after that you can option a mechanical combustion-powered propulsion machine that fits neatly in the front compartment. Maybe we’ll call it something like “integrated compartmental exothermic” machine or “ICE” for short… :idea:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, and after that you can option a mechanical combustion-powered propulsion machine that fits neatly in the front compartment. Maybe we’ll call it something like “integrated compartmental exothermic” machine or “ICE” for short… :idea:
I think a giant vibrator motor will suffice, to provide ICE engine like vibrations. The only question is, should it vibrate the entire car, or just driver and passengers who choose to feel the vibrations.

Side note, true story, I remember renting an ICE car after a long time of not driving one (driving all EV's at home for almost a decade now). I remember feeling the engine vibration and thinking "oh crap, something's broken on that rental car" before realizing "duh, it's the engine".

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I guess then that it paid for itself. At least you knew you had no use for the Taycan Turbo or Turbo S as far as performance goes. Turbo premium over 4S is higher than $20K.
That’s exactly why I bought a 4S rather than a turbo or turbo s (despite temptation) as a matter of fact!

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
not interested in a pissing match and I spend a lot of time driving in LA, not Del Mar. But in Del Mar, where I live, there are virtually NO sidewalks, and we have cars parked on both sides of the street just like your pic. People walk in the streets all the time because they have no option, and I am surrounded by elementary schools with scores of kids walking in the streets in the morning and afternoon. It can be like an obstacle course avoiding them, and they don't seem to respond any differently when ICE cars approach them from behind (because I still drive one of those, including a 911). In California, as you probably know, pedestrians and cyclists act like the road belongs to them.

If you feel safer with this option then you need it, but I've not seen any studies proving it makes pedestrians safer. It seems a waste of money to me, and with EVs coming into the market at the rate they are now, they will normalize people's behavior to realize not all cars make noise.
Oh, I didn’t take it to be a pissing match and hope you aren’t either. I don’t respond to people who I perceive as engaging in those. I prefer to piss solo thank you very much! I just meant to say that in the type of environment in which I drive, I am more than confident that, right here and now, the electric sound has a real and perceivable impact as an audible warning. I have been extremely grateful for it. If it were not for this impact, I would not use it as I don’t care about what others perceive about me driving (I would prefer to be absolutely invisible) and I don’t need it for myself (I would just listen to the radio).

kloisdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Safety organizations around the world disagree with you and require new EVs/PHEVs to emit a minimum noise level/sound when traveling under 18.6mph to alert pedestrians.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think a giant vibrator motor will suffice, to provide ICE engine like vibrations. The only question is, should it vibrate the entire car, or just driver and passengers who choose to feel the vibrations.

Side note, true story, I remember renting an ICE car after a long time of not driving one (driving all EV's at home for almost a decade now). I remember feeling the engine vibration and thinking "oh crap, something's broken on that rental car" before realizing "duh, it's the engine".
This could lead to people asking to drive your car a little too often and result in some pretty funny faces at stoplights. Maybe Porsche could call it “O” mode and allow you to adjust intensity and frequency? Only down side is that in a year, they would find that it overheats and tune it back to 50%. 😂

Last edited:

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag

Have you guys driven in China?

smphh.

electric scooters, bikes, pedestrians, dogs, all on the streets at once.
Sponsored