Dead 12V Battery Survey

When your 12V battery died which of the following was true:

• Doors locked, plugged into Porsche EVSE, no check on car using Connect, was in car after parking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doors locked, plugged into other EVSE, did check on car using Connect, not in car after parking

• Doors locked, plugged into other EVSE, no check on car using Connect, was in car after parking

• Doors unlocked, plugged into Porsche EVSE, did check on car using Connect, not in car after parking

• Doors unlocked, plugged into other EVSE, did check on car using Connect, not in car after parking

• Doors unlocked, plugged into other EVSE, no check on car using Connect, was in car after parking

• Total voters

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I have read the stories of dead 12V batteries with great interest. I was hoping to get a sense of what happens. I know that there is a lot of discussion with lots of other variables, but I wanted to get a sense of why it is happening to some and not others. For clarity, the questions mean:

• check on car using Connect. This means either using the app or logging into a browser.
  • in car after parking. Some people reported getting in the car to do something (e.g., cleaning the screens) for a little while. I suppose if this were an even more detailed survey, I would ask if the screens were on.

Let's see if any of the theories hold. Ideally, I would have a long list of factors that could be user selected, but I don't believe that it is feasible using this polling function. Thank you!
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Unlocked in garage and not plugged in for ~2 days. Was fine the day before and parked in evening after daily commute.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
I have left my car for more than six months in my garage (Fl)fully charged ie 90% and saw minimal deterioration in the charge and battery at 12.4 Volts after six months.Mine is a 21 4S with 15 k on the odometer

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
I've not had this problem thankfully. However, I did notice yesterday a couple of hours after returning to my garage that a parking light remaining on. Surprised, I opened the car and saw a message that a directional parking light was still on. Turns out that I'd parked the car with the right turn signal blinking. I believe European cars offer the option of having the left side parking lights, the right side parking lights or both sides on. Anyway, this surely would have run the battery down over time had I not noticed the problem.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've not had this problem thankfully. However, I did notice yesterday a couple of hours after returning to my garage that a parking light remaining on. Surprised, I opened the car and saw a message that a directional parking light was still on. Turns out that I'd parked the car with the right turn signal blinking. I believe European cars offer the option of having the left side parking lights, the right side parking lights or both sides on. Anyway, this surely would have run the battery down over time had I not noticed the problem.
Yes - either left or right tail light and front indicator double up as a parking light if the indicator stalk is left in the up or down position. Same for most brands.

If this were a 12v threat then an automatic protection measure would kick in - likely a top up from the HV battery. My guess so don't rely on it.
Sponsored