W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The Porsche one selected is the trickle charger.for connection via the cigar socket / 12V socket. There is an optional adapter which extends this to terminate in 2 crocodile clips for connecting to the battery terminals. Note also that this charger needs to be connected to the mains to operate.

On the other hand the lithium ion chargers are portable offering more practicality and are intended for jump starting 12V car batteries rather than trickle charging the battery.
Sponsored

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Provided you quickly disconnect the jump starter once the car comes to life, it shouldn't matter. Remember, you aren't connecting something to charge the car's 12V battery. You are connecting something to re-start the car's electronics. Once those re-start, the HV battery and a DC-DC converter take over providing 12V to the car's 12V system AND to charge the car's 12V Li-Ion battery. As soon as that happens you want to disconnect whatever you used for the jump start.

If you plan to "tricke charge" the 12V battery, that's when you need a trickle charger compatible with Li-Ion batteries. But as others have suggested it's highly unlikely such a trickle charger will provide enough current to overcome whatever system is engaging to cause the 12V battery to drain in the first place...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Provided you quickly disconnect the jump starter once the car comes to life, it shouldn't matter. Remember, you aren't connecting something to charge the car's 12V battery. You are connecting something to re-start the car's electronics. Once those re-start, the HV battery and a DC-DC converter take over providing 12V to the car's 12V system AND to charge the car's 12V Li-Ion battery. As soon as that happens you want to disconnect whatever you used for the jump start.

If you plan to "tricke charge" the 12V battery, that's when you need a trickle charger compatible with Li-Ion batteries. But as others have suggested it's highly unlikely such a trickle charger will provide enough current to overcome whatever system is engaging to cause the 12V battery to drain in the first place...
The Porsche charge-o-mat charges Li-ion batteries too (or at least my model does).

Mrmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT63s amg, Panamera GTS, s560, Range Rover
Country flag
ive put in an order for a 4s, and after reading this thread im not so sure.. this sounds like a truthful assessment from the otherside of the coin

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
ive put in an order for a 4s, and after reading this thread im not so sure.. this sounds like a truthful assessment from the otherside of the coin
If uncomfortable, wait for a year while all the bugs are ironed out. But most people aren't having these issues. Everyone still lauds the drivability and performance of the car.

Mrmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT63s amg, Panamera GTS, s560, Range Rover
Country flag
If uncomfortable, wait for a year while all the bugs are ironed out. But most people aren't having these issues. Everyone still lauds the drivability and performance of the car.
yea def. the reason i put an order in after test driving..

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
ummmmm - I seem to recall porsche specifcially recommends against using a trickle charger with the Taycan - but I can’t find the posting on this forum where a kind soul quoted chapter, verse, and screen shot from the manual.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Porsche are more interested in shifting metal these days than they are in building quality vehicles.

I've been a long term Porsche owner (original Cayenne onwards) and have observed with dismay the decline in quality and the dilution of brand with too many models now on offer.

The Taycan has been rushed to market to grab a headline and I think we can all speak with authority about the quality issues we have (or will no doubt experience).

In time the Taycan will be a quality product (just as the Cayenne became) but as early adopters Porsche should not be so arrogant and use its client base as test mules.

Time Porsche was run by Engineers and not Accountants.

Meantime be thankful for the gold plated warranty and I hope that I get my car back today after a failed charging port and door (3 months old).
I also bought the first generation Cayenne in its first or second model year, and I have to admit that I remember it as a more mature car - right out of the gate - as the Taycan now is, despite the fact that SUV’s were very new to Porsche at the time. However, the ICE to BEV step is probably a bigger one than the sports car to SUV one.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
ummmmm - I seem to recall porsche specifcially recommends against using a trickle charger with the Taycan - but I can’t find the posting on this forum where a kind soul quoted chapter, verse, and screen shot from the manual.
Refer to pages 282 - 285 of the manual.

At page 283
The 12 V lithium battery still discharges even when
your vehicle is not in use.
e To maintain its function, charge the 12 V lithium
battery approximately every 6 weeks or connect
it to a trickle charger suitable for lithium batteries
with a CC/CV or pure CV characteristic.
Porsche recommends Porsche Tequipment
chargers and trickle chargers.

Addendum
Probably best to stay away from messing with the batteries, other than charging the high voltage battery per instructions and trying to revive a dead 12 volt per NC_Taycan's comments above. Lithium Ion batteries have special needs.

Last edited:

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
When I know that my Taycan will be parked in the garage for 3+ weeks, I have connected a Battery Tender brand low amp (800mA) battery maintainer via an OBD port adapter. It is not powerful enough to charge a dead 12V battery, but is sufficient to keep the 12V battery topped off in case the high volt battery fails to do so. The particular model that I use is for Lithium Ion batteries. When I check on the car via the security camera in the garage, I have seen the status lights on the battery maintainer flash on occasion to indicate that it is topping off the charge to the 12V battery. I use it as extra insurance for those occasions when I know the car will not be driven for a long time.

Having said all of that my car was in the body shop for a month without the Battery Tender and the 12V battery was fine.

I also use battery maintainers/trickle chargers on my motorcycle and other weekend cars and have prolonged the life of the batteries significantly (the battery in one of my cars is 8 years old).

Here is a link to some more information on my set up.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/long-term-storage.2404/#post-32784

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Well the Porsche Good to know app says the following! For long term storage but can certainly be used otherwise as well

Porsche Taycan Dead 12v battery again BFEBFA52-978F-4845-B704-3D6979AC4D2F

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Charge o mat i think is to keep the battery maintained and can’t be used to jump start a car
Yeah, I don’t see how that can be used to jump the car. Also does seem to solve the issue if you aren’t near an outlet. I live in a condo and don’t have an accessible plug for something like that. I have the Noco but heard it can be a safety hazard to use.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Yeah, I don’t see how that can be used to jump the car. Also does seem to solve the issue if you aren’t near an outlet. I live in a condo and don’t have an accessible plug for something like that. I have the Noco but heard it can be a safety hazard to use.
depending on the unit that you have the noco may not be compatible with lithium batteries, I posted a link to their specs on another thread, I'll link it

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I’m not sure how NOCO is NOT compatible with lion battereys - at the end of the day it provides 12V DC - and the noco is _NOT_ a charger - it’s a booster that provides 12V power to the 12V bus - it’s _NOT_ charging the 12V LiON battery - it provides power to the 12V bus for 1-2 minutes and then you disconnect it and the car takes over charging the 12V battery - you don’t leave the NOCO connect to “charge” the LiON 12V battery

the _ONLY_ reason a 12V power source would _NOT_ be compatible with a 12V battery was if it continues to force power down the throat of a LiON 12V battery after it was full....that’s not the case here.

12V DC power is 12V DC power - regardless of power source.

I understand the NOCO may not be a good source to charge a LiON battery - but please explain to me why it’s not a good 12V power source to power the Taycan to wake it up?

now leaving the NOCO connected to the 12V bus while the Taycan is also charging the 12V bus and the NOCO is providing power to the 12V bus and all that going around - I could also see connecting the NOCO directly to a LiON battery might not be the best for LiON battery - but again that’s not what we are doing here - and the LiON battery in the porsche has it’s own power regulator on the battery leads…

someone’s going to have to explain to me in the context of the Taycan how the NOCO booster (not charger) is “bad” for the LiON battery that it’s not directly connected to while it spends 30-90 seconds powering the Taycan’s 12V bus so that the car can wake up and take over from a 12V death situation - and no you don’t get to quote bland CYA vauge statements about the NOCO not being compatibilty for LiON batteries that were written for ICE vehicles who’s power bus architecture and connections is completely different than the Taycan.

I look forward to being educated.

Last edited:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This stuff is complicated. Leaves my head spinning. I don't think Porsche is going to recommend a Noco or any other booster other than there own equipment. The only thing that seems to apply is that people have reported a Noco type booster can successfully wakeup the car.

Porsche talks about CC/CV or pure CV characteristic charges. So who makes those and what are they?
Sponsored

Last edited: