SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
I just got my software update notification for Switzerland (via e-mail and not letter :)) and have it booked in on April 6th as I want to switch my winter tires at the same time. (Weather still around freezing for the next two weeks in the morning.)

The person on phone said it take 5 hours and this is because the update has several "sequences". So not adding anything new to this conversation on the forum, but thought I would post it nonetheless. She did say I will get a 4S loaner......
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
What if I live in an area where I am lucky to get any cell reception at all?

We have to stop guessing why Porsche won't do what we logically think is possible (I'm sure they know). They have their reasons I'm sure and we can only guess.

I'm also convinced that many of us once we get these updates will be wondering "so what changed" (more so for MY21 owners).

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I for one am not advocating as OTA as the ONLY path for update. We are just pondering why Porsche is requiring dealer updates. And in this day and age its a safe bet to say anyone who had a Taycan has home internet and a WiFi the car can use to download updates.

This is also the case with almost every other car so far except Tesla. My I-Pace had been able to do more OTA updates over time, started with just infotainment to now battery management and telemetries can be updated OTA.

To me this is not at all a big deal, nor a knock against the Taycan. But for someone who may not have easy access to a dealership it would be nice. And hopefully over time this becomes a “standard” for all cars.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I am a fan of OTA updates whenever possible. However, for me, it will be more tricky. I live in a condo downtown- in my parking garage I have no access to WiFi or cell service. This would make it difficult for me to download large updates that take days. The dealer is close by though. It would be nice to have the option for either. I fully recognize I am in the minority here.

I also think the root cause is the complexity of the update process and an abundance of caution updating firmware rather than the download process itself. I’m no engineer so my opinion doesn’t really count though :).

Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I promised an update. The main problem with my car is that it bricked if charging it overnight on a timed charge. Anyway the car is back and I have performed this charge over two nights - with no problems :) . The only glitch I have seen so far is that the Porsche Connect app was not connecting to the car. The dealership told me to deactivate the privacy setting in the car - and it now works! Happy with the customer service from my dealership too.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
What if I live in an area where I am lucky to get any cell reception at all?

We have to stop guessing why Porsche won't do what we logically think is possible (I'm sure they know). They have their reasons I'm sure and we can only guess.

I'm also convinced that many of us once we get these updates will be wondering "so what changed" (more so for MY21 owners).
Agree.
I've seen some pretty bold assumptions going by in this thread.
It's only guessing indeed.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I got my software update today and I got a rental BMW X2 as a loaner. Everything went fine but it seems some settings are deleted and need to be put back in

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just got my software update notification for Switzerland (via e-mail and not letter :)) and have it booked in on April 6th as I want to switch my winter tires at the same time. (Weather still around freezing for the next two weeks in the morning.)
Do you have a 2020 or 2021?

Turbo-fan

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
How are things with your Taycan? Did you get it back?
I got the car back yesterday afternoon, so the dealer had it nearly 2 days now with no courtesy car available due to COVID (!)
Some settings had disappeared. One of my complaints previously was that the Bluetooth would not connect. Sometime several times in succession and then suddenly it would work again for a couple of days. My iPhone 11pro connected immediately when I picked the car up. But the next 2 ”drives” there was no connection. Today again no connection. I now apparently have to manually connect every time I get in the car. It’s disgusting. The cluncking of my brake pedal has improved slightly after some adjustments but is still there. The dealer insist there is no fix for the protruding rear spoiler, so my car has to go in again at some point for the third time. It feels like they have had my car more than I had it. Apple car play took ages to connect and the menu does not look like the illustrations in the owner manual.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
So now we have a Porsche "orchestrator" coordinating updates to Bosch, Brembo, Siemens, etc. modules.
And that is the reason, why OTA is such a challenge. All these suppliers need to speak the same OTA update "language":

Porsche Taycan Dealer Software Update 1615612549891

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I got my software update today and I got a rental BMW X2 as a loaner. Everything went fine but it seems some settings are deleted and need to be put back in
Could you be so kind a post a pic of the versions in the PCM, please?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I got the car back yesterday afternoon, so the dealer had it nearly 2 days now with no courtesy car available due to COVID (!)
Some settings had disappeared. One of my complaints previously was that the Bluetooth would not connect. Sometime several times in succession and then suddenly it would work again for a couple of days. My iPhone 11pro connected immediately when I picked the car up. But the next 2 ”drives” there was no connection. Today again no connection. I now apparently have to manually connect every time I get in the car. It’s disgusting. The cluncking of my brake pedal has improved slightly after some adjustments but is still there. The dealer insist there is no fix for the protruding rear spoiler, so my car has to go in again at some point for the third time. It feels like they have had my car more than I had it. Apple car play took ages to connect and the menu does not look like the illustrations in the owner manual.
Try removing your phone completely from the PCM (devices and remove / delete) and remove the entry on your phone. Then do the pairing afresh.

cd77

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST MY24 (since Nov 23)
Country flag
And that is the reason, why OTA is such a challenge. All these suppliers need to speak the same OTA update "language":

1615612549891.png
To give maybe some insights into this aspect of OTA:

I happen to be the chairman of an ISO Standardization working group that belongs to the same so-called "subcommittee" as the working groups dealing with most of the standards mentioned above. Also, ISO 26262 (functional safety) is handled by a neighbouring working group.

It is essential that cybersecurity and OTA are standardized to allow safe and reliable behaviour of these functions in end-customer vehicles. Tesla is in a unique position here as they do their hard- and software to a much higher share on their own compared to other OEMs. Similar to the integrated approach Apple is taking with iOS and iPhone vs. Android and e.g. Samsung where hard- and software do not have the same level of integration.

ISO 21434 is now in its final stage before publication, so-called "Final Draft International Standard", meaning only editorial changes are allowed before its publication in the next few months. But publication does not necessarily mean immediate adoption by suppliers and OEMs!

This project was particularly difficult as it was a joint project by ISO and SAE to merge double work that was started in parallel at the beginning. For this project (including SOTIF, I think) a separate working group was founded a few years ago. (btw, it takes up to four, five years to create a new standard from scratch like this one!)

Also for OTA a separate working group was founded last year or the year before. Japan was the major driver behind starting this project and working group, other countries were a bit hesitant regarding the scope of the working group and standard as well as the feasibility to have this topic standardized at all.

So, this means OTA Standardization only just started, we are still years away from a published standard. That means currently each OEM and supplier is still doing it according to their own approach. Of course, some might start to align to what is discussed in the ISO working group. But as long as we are not in the FDIS stage with this standard the technical content of the final published document might still change.

My personal opinion is that we definitely need such an OTA standard. It is sometimes hard, though, to resolve conflicts of interests at ISO between different countries with their own agendas, or between OEMs and suppliers. :) The whole standardization work is aimed at finding consensus. This sometimes means also unfavourable, political compromises.

Just my two cents why this topic is not as easy as it might seem when comparing it to OTA updates on the iPhone. :)