Dealer Software Update

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Yep, 2021 is out before the 2020.
that is understandable, the 2020 software is a bit different than the 2021, and those cars appear to have their own special needs for fixes
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
just got an the invite for the update,

Model year 2021 Porsche Taycan Complimentary Software Update.

This notice applies to your vehicle:

Dear Mr. Kort

Porsche is committed to the highest standards of product quality, customer satisfaction and ownership experience. To maintain and enhance this experience, we are pleased to offer you a complimentary software update to bring the latest in technology improvements to your Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system, charging functionality and driving comfort

What should you do?
At your earliest convenience, please contact your authorized Porsche dealer to schedule an appointment for this update and to arrange for alternate transportation during the repair period, if needed.
Schedule Service Appointment

What does the software update include?
This update provides software optimizations for:

Charging
  • Improved home charging, including charging with third-party charging equipment.
  • Improved stability of charging and further optimization of the timer charging function.
Chassis and driving comfort
  • Optimization of start up behavior.
Digital cockpit display (instrument cluster) with 16.8-inch curved display / Porsche Communication Management (central display)
  • Start up behavior and performance of the instrument cluster and the central display are improved.
  • Optimization of navigation system stability.
What will Porsche do?
Porsche is conducting a campaign to update the software for your vehicle. This update will be carried out at no expense to you and will take approximately 4 hours to complete. To arrange for alternate transportation during the repair period, please discuss the mobility options available to you with your authorized Porsche dealer while making your appointment for this update.

We are taking this action to help ensure the best experience with your vehicle and look forward to your visit to your authorized Porsche dealership.

Sincerely,
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
while it is nice that my car is getting the update, the local dealership has no loaners available for about 6 weeks.

not good.

the service woman handling me tried to downplay the update saying that it doesn't affect the drivability of the car, that is not the proper response and just exhibits a lack of insight.
we'll see how they handle this.

Last edited:

mamba

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Got my letter today. Now to find a time to get it to the dealer. Does it really take 4 hours?

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
My MY20 4S+ was a late July delivery to the USA.
I was speaking with my Porsche service center today to schedule snow tire swap and to check a couple of things.
The rep ran my VIN and says no updates are needed or available. No drain plug check required. Nothing.
Good everything okay. My vehicle has had no real issues other than the occasional warning that clears.
Bad no hint of any software update for the MY20.
Unfortunately she did say ..."you are one of the lucky ones". A bit frightening.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In the US which is probably the biggest market for Porsche, customers can use the lemon law only if they expierience an issue for the first time during the first year of ownership. So if you bought your Taycan March 2020 and you get a dead 12v issue, OTA fried module or other electrical faults after April 2021, then you cannot use the lemon law. So throught the next months many 2020 cars in the US will become ineligible for the lemon law.
Maybe the update order is chosen to minimizes business impact like expected number of cars that can be eligible for lemon law.

Another reason might be that the update for 2020s is not ready yet.
Of course that is just a speculation..

Taycanrati

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cherry Metallic Taycan Turbo
Country flag
For some of us Lucky 21 purchasers, it's also replacement of the 19.2 kw hardware board. Maybe. if they can get that charging "feature" to work. -might never work without extra steps....

Stuck at the Port for weeks now. Dealer says to try contacting them again for a new delivery date at the end of March. Becoming obvious to me that Porsche is not yet capable of executing well on a non-ICE, Software driven car. I am a long time multiple new Porsche owner/have been loyal: Totally Disappointed. ( I wonder what the new Model S looks like). ?? Heck I could buy two for the price of one Turbo.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
@feye , I came across this. Might be The cause of your seat ventilation issue.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10187802-0001.pdf
Stopped by the dealer this morning. The guy just touched something under the seat and it worked again. It's indeed that issue and for sure a flaky electrical connection.

Thanks again!

I also asked about the software update. He checked the VIN on his computer system, and there was no update scheduled for my Taycan. Not a problem, since everything is working quite well so far.

raymort

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020
Country flag
My MY20 4S+ was a late July delivery to the USA.
I was speaking with my Porsche service center today to schedule snow tire swap and to check a couple of things.
The rep ran my VIN and says no updates are needed or available. No drain plug check required. Nothing.
Good everything okay. My vehicle has had no real issues other than the occasional warning that clears.

Yeah, I believe this is entirely consistent with how the software is rolling out. The VIN search will so nothing until they want to push out the software to your car. It appears it will be a few weeks, at least, for MY20s.
Bad no hint of any software update for the MY20.
Unfortunately she did say ..."you are one of the lucky ones". A bit frightening.

raymort

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020
Country flag
For some of us Lucky 21 purchasers, it's also replacement of the 19.2 kw hardware board. Maybe. if they can get that charging "feature" to work. -might never work without extra steps....

Stuck at the Port for weeks now. Dealer says to try contacting them again for a new delivery date at the end of March. Becoming obvious to me that Porsche is not yet capable of executing well on a non-ICE, Software driven car. I am a long time multiple new Porsche owner/have been loyal: Totally Disappointed. ( I wonder what the new Model S looks like). ?? Heck I could buy two for the price of one Turbo.
My experience with using EA and the app has been super simple. Perhaps when there are lots of different public charging options, the plug and charge feature will be of some help keeping the admin reasonable, but I personally think it isn’t much of a big deal with the current state of things. But that’s me.
Sponsored