Depreciation, I lost money, I’m crying

pedroleumjelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Triumph Trident, 2023 Taycan
Country flag
I love the Taycussy but the next ride I’m getting is a 911 if things stay stable in my life.

I keep coming back to the idea that had I gotten a 911 1 year ago, upgrading to a new ride would cost very little.

I am so glad I leased the Taycan, because I can just get out of the commitment next year.

A retrospective for me is EVs are establishing themselves as appliances that maintain their value for as long as the battery is deemed healthy and supported by the manufacturer. Which is not a lot. A V8 will always be a V8 even after 50 years. A battery is a consumable that is worthless after 8 years.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
in 50 years the Taycan will still be a superb looking design and it will drive great as it is today. To rebuild a 993 engine you are looking at 25k at least today. Probably same price of replacing the battery. Not really much difference with a classic flat six or a V8.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
What’s missing on this forum is discussion about the poorly designed center console lid. With all the new owners I’m surprised this topic hasn’t come up more often in the last year and a half. Some conspiracy I’m sure. I’d make a new thread about it but worried it’ll add to the depreciation when would be buyers are researching this cars faults.

BTW, I love this car so much. Dumb center lid and all.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
The issue is simply that too many people spent more than they could afford on a Taycan due to company tax incentives, and the economy then slowed leaving them exposed. My dealer told me that 90% of Taycan sales were going to company owners who previously were in 40k Audis.

People assumed a 100k car from a prestige brand somehow might not lose them money.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
A retrospective for me is EVs are establishing themselves as appliances that maintain their value for as long as the battery is deemed healthy and supported by the manufacturer. Which is not a lot. A V8 will always be a V8 even after 50 years. A battery is a consumable that is worthless after 8 years.
Well, you’re wrong on this, but i suspect it’s not worth arguing about it.

EdwinT

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo, Porsche 356a T1
Country flag
The depreciation has been disproportionately high on the Taycan vs any other Porsche.

We have a right to be grumpy about it.

On the flip side they are getting so cheap that people can really get a ton of car for not much money, so welcome to the club newbies who were smart enough to wait for the secondary market!

Except for the high end 911, gt3’s etc I see panamera, chayennes, macans with the same percentages.. 1 to 1.5 years old with 30- 40% depr.

Buying new cars is always a bad investment, unless you buy the specials Or (some of ) the classics. And even with classic cars the costs of maintenance and restoration are hard to compensate when selling.

EdwinT

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo, Porsche 356a T1
Country flag
in 50 years the Taycan will still be a superb looking design and it will drive great as it is today. To rebuild a 993 engine you are looking at 25k at least today. Probably same price of replacing the battery. Not really much difference with a classic flat six or a V8.
Not sure about the 50 years statement, but yes, i just rebuild my 1956 356 engine, which is in close range of a new battery :)

GLM1

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Yes a clickbait title

I’ve noticed all topics on this forum are hijacked by comments about depreciation to the point I’m really annoyed by it. We are all on the same boat, but lets not bring it up every 5 comments. The value isn’t going up by posting the same stuff every time. Let’s stay on-topic in other threads and leave the depreciation stuff in depreciation threads. Just enjoy the effing good vehicle you had the privilege of buying/leasing/renting or dreaming about.

I’m fine if you want to hijack this thread on anything related to depreciation

Cheers Jasper
I totally agree with you the most discussion of depreciation is on this forum, the only other place that the depreciation discussion is raised is on YouTube and it’s from the UK. I am based in eastern Canada and am seeing standard depreciation. I have a MY23 CTS and an Aston Martin vantage S roadster as my summer runaround and since I have owned the CTS I have opted to drive it more than the Aston, both are fun to drive but you can’t beet the comfort and features of the CTS. We should stop talking about depreciation and just be thankful that we are able to own such a great vehicle.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The issue is simply that too many people spent more than they could afford on a Taycan due to company tax incentives
I’ll have you know that I, for one, spent more than I could afford without any company tax incentives, thank you very much.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You guys…this is a solvable problem. Look, I’ll list my Taycan for $10M.
One of you buy it. (@007 ?)

Bam, depreciation schmepreciation! (Auto correct did not like that word…)

Once people see Taycans selling for a higher value, their depreciation fears will subside and all will be well!

Stop complaining and be part of the solution.

Note that the car needs new tires soon. Do not ask for discount. That’s already factored into my asking price.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I’ll have you know that I, for one, spent more than I could afford without any company tax incentives, thank you very much.
I paid for my Taycan using profits from Crypto currency investments. Seriously, not kidding. (Ducks for cover from the crypto haters)

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I paid for my Taycan using profits from Crypto currency investments. Seriously, not kidding. (Ducks for cover from the crypto haters)
“Investments” is a strong word 😉, but no hate from me. You do you!

IRL, mine is paid for also. But I just used my normal hourly income.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag

pedroleumjelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Triumph Trident, 2023 Taycan
Country flag
Well, you’re wrong on this, but i suspect it’s not worth arguing about it.
My point of view is an internal combustion engine is kind of like a timestamp of that particular era when it was manufactured. Fixing it also doesn't require swapping the entire unit out and you can do it piecemeal if it wasn't maintained properly. A battery is just out when it's out, and replacing it is similar to the cost of an entire Taycan if you factor in labor and used prices.

I fully agree that the Taycan design and design language is probably one of the best, if not the best, looking sedans out there. Definitely would love to hear your perspective on this!

Ultimately, my decision to get mine was the result of its stunning looks, and those expectations were met, as well as the hope for cool tech. Those unfortunately I have been disappointed by due to the poor infotainment experience and features.

I do not regret buying leasing my car whatsoever, I just wish Porsche had a proper software and UX team working on their car experience teams.

Last edited:

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
I totally agree with you the most discussion of depreciation is on this forum, the only other place that the depreciation discussion is raised is on YouTube and it’s from the UK. I am based in eastern Canada and am seeing standard depreciation. I have a MY23 CTS and an Aston Martin vantage S roadster as my summer runaround and since I have owned the CTS I have opted to drive it more than the Aston, both are fun to drive but you can’t beet the comfort and features of the CTS. We should stop talking about depreciation and just be thankful that we are able to own such a great vehicle.
First gen CTS was a fine vehicle with the 3.6 liter variable valve timing v6 (which sounded awesome and had a very nice torque curve). The second gen handled better but GM cheaped out on developing the next gen 3.6 which got noisier and much less refined, with lack of torque at low rpms. (Sorry i can’t help being a lemming when people do typos 😂)
Sponsored