Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
It sounds a little like a rationalization of why taking a loss on a current Taycan and buying a new one is worth it to you. One thing you forgot to include in your analysis (possibly because it would not support your argument) is the fact that Taycans were incredibly supply constrained during the pandemic. I remember trying to buy mine, took me 20 months and was on many waiting lists at dealers across the nation. When the APB2 recall came out, which covered all 2023 Turbo CT (the model I bought, even though I originally signed up for a 2022) it became apparent to me how constrained the supply was - Porsche only produced 128 units 2023 Turbo CT's for the entire US market.
1712823140606-dd.png

A few probably sunk on the transport boat that went to the bottom of the Atlantic. Do you think this means those have not depreciated as much because there was less than 3 made per state (on average) for the entire model year? The answer is no, they depreciated as much as other luxury sedans in that price range.

One could also make an argument that the Gen 2 Taycan depreciation will be higher than Gen 1 since there was no Gen 0 which would compete with it on a used car market, but there will be used Gen 1's competing against used Gen 2's. Gen 1's were priced lower in the first place, and there were subsidies for some too. As much as Gen 2 has some advantages, most used car buyers are unlikely to pay a whole lot more for a 2025 vs 2024. The differential will shrink over time too.

Personally I think it's hard to predict depreciation as it depends on many things. All cars have depreciated since the pandemic, yes, even 911's. Interest is high, supply is no longer limited, etc. There may be less 911's available, but try to sell one. I remember when I was trying to sell my 2001 911 C4 two years later in 2003, got about 50% of the price I paid for it (which was under MSRP). There wasn't many around for sale, but there also wasn't many buyers. Such is life of a car, most of them are depreciating assets. General rule of thumb, 4 years you're looking at ~50% of trim's base price MSRP for a trade-in value (all options have depreciated almost to zero by then). Economic hard times affect more expensive cars more. More expensive trims also depreciate slightly more (%) than lower trims. Lowest depreciation is for a base trim, no options car.

This is not meant to burst your bubble or discourage you from buying a 2025 Taycan. If you want it and can afford it, go for it. YOLO! But don't assume it's going to be an investment, or cheap transportation.
Exactly , the differential between the two will get smaller over time especially as technology advances even more - the reality is I don’t need any more range, tech or performance for street driving and when it comes down to taking a HUGE outlay of $ for a new one coupled with horrible leases and high interest rates the Gen 1 looks better and better to most , to many people have SHINY OBJECT syndrome

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
If you want a car with low deprecation: Don't buy a luxury sedan.
If you want a Taycan with low deprecation: Don't buy a new car. Buy a used Taycan.
If you want a new Taycan with low depreciation: Buy a base model with few options.

I bought a new base Taycan for 90 keuro. Current market value after almost 3 years is about 55 to 60 keuro. That's about 10 to 12 keuro per year. That is very reasonable to me.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
The OP is full of conjecture about Porsche’s plans, future Taycan buying activity and other factors, for which there is no actual factual evidence to support.

If you want to upgrade to a .II, do so. Don’t spin yourself a web of self-deceit that the new one won’t have typical luxury sedan depreciation because supposedly from NOW ON, Taycan will be specially immune. Be prepared for it. If you can’t accept the loss, don’t buy.

If you want a car with low deprecation: Don't buy a luxury sedan.
If you want a Taycan with low deprecation: Don't buy a new car. Buy a used Taycan.
If you want a new Taycan with low depreciation: Buy a base model with few options.
I agree, but what fun is that? I thought buying Porsche was for fun, not for practicality.

Lays potato chips "Bet you can't just eat one".

Porsche "Bet you can't just buy the base model".
Exactly!

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I agree, but what fun is that? I thought buying Porsche was for fun, not for practicality.
A used Taycan is also fun. A base model is also fun.
I just depends on how much you want to pay for it. If depreciation is a big concern than buying second hand or buying a base Taycan makes a lot of sense.

But I agree with you that if you want really low depreciation, you shouldn't look at luxury sedans.

ODC

First Name
Olivier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
I totally understand and agree this point but does the price of a used Taycan outweigh a warranty of a new Taycan (for sure with battery problems)?

Of course my quote depends on the price difference between the used and a new Taycan. But when I ordered mine the difference was minimal.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Good thinking to related the question to the very basics of economics!

However, if I may say so, it sounds a bit as if you would like to emotional decision to buy a new Taycan with hindsight economics ;-)

What might (tremendously) affect the depreciation with EVs is technological advancements, especially a new and lighter battery tech would change everything.

I stick to my current Taycan, as it works like a charm and it looks like it would easily last until the completely new version arrives.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Pure speculation from me here, but I bet the market (UK) for a Porsche EV in the future will be something like 5:1 (Macan v Taycan).

Its a lot cheaper, more practical and won't have the bad rep for reliability the Taycan now has.

I won't guess on retained values, as previously I thought the Taycan would hold value really well 😕

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What might (tremendously) affect the depreciation with EVs is technological advancements, especially a new and lighter battery tech would change everything.
What would really reduce the depreciation of EV's is a battery upgrade at a reasonable cost. I think I saw somewhere that the cost of a new battery for a Taycan is around $50,000. Have seen reports in the papers that a new battery for a Kia was costing $60,000 installed.

Right now the battery is a total black box to anyone buying a used EV.

And the Macan could be no better. The dollars may be smaller and the pool of buyers is larger but the average income levels are going to be less than that of Taycan buyers. So if battery costs remain high who do you lay it off on?

SHM

First Name
oOo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think that you have to consider the fact that after 2022, the EVs are "mainstream" and everyone can buy one in a short wait time. During covid and pre covid, supply was low, demand was high. People had to wait 1+ year for even an average VW ID car..

So of course in 2022+, a lot of EVs you can get new, with no wait, supply high everywhere and even a lot of "cheap" EVs (that were expensive new) means that you cant think of the EV market as it was in its infancy.

The 2025 Taycan I do believe will depricate a lot. It has also happened to a lot of the other newer Porsches and other cars (evs and fossiles) from other manufacturers.

Of course an very old 911 is another story, but remember the taycan is tech, its expensive tech that people want mainly when its completely fresh. Then the deprecation will hit hard.

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
Also, anyone looking to get in an EV at the low 100k range will not find any competitor new or used that even comes close to the Taycan.
A Tesla Plaid is in this range and very comparable.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Depreciation of EVs can be pretty volatile. The value on my previous Tesla Model X changed by more than 20K in about one month twice during the period in which I was deciding whether to sell -- once increasing and, once decreasing. For EVs, shocks to gas prices and fluctuations in availability in the market can lead to unexpected bumps in the curves.

If you are less sensitive to personalization and availability of certain options, buying used for cars like the Taycan (and for nearly all "normal" Porsches) is the way to go.

If you know exactly what you want and would like to personalize, then new is likely the way to go.

You can, as a practical matter, seemingly reduce the economic impact of the depreciation curve by holding the vehicle for a longer period of time, although that tends to be less important if you buy a used car to begin with (assuming that you buy it during the handle portion of the hockey stick depreciation).

I leased my Taycan CT because I wanted protection against the bottom falling out. Of course you pay for this form of insurance as part of the leasing costs.

Elroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, VW Golf GTI Mk8, Ford Raptor 6.2L
Country flag
I’ve already resigned to keeping my Taycan GTS. In fact, I’m sure I’m close to having negative equity at this point - the truth is I’ll never really NEED any more tech or any more range. It’s a phenomenal car and will always be - I’ll just keep it as part of the stable , it’ll be a relic sooner than later
Totally agree with you. Our MY2022 GTS is incredible. We try to manage the battery life by charging it in the garage with Level 2 to 80% and avoid high speed charging to 100% unless absolutely necessary. Other than rare instances most luxury cars take a big depreciation hit in their early years and then level out. This car is a keeper so resale doesn’t really make any difference to us. Would be tempted to buy a slightly used GTS ST at a discount. Can’t think of another EV we’d rather drive.
Sponsored