First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navarra, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Hi
New to EV’s so bear with me. I pick up my Taycan soon but getting confused charger wise. It comes with mobile charger connect. I’ll be charging at home 99% of the time. Do I need a different charger too? Also, is the mobile charger connect waterproof as would be installed outside.
Sponsored

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
No you don't need anything else, but you will want a 32A commando socket socket to plus your Porsche charger into so you get 7kW charging (will do more if you have a 3 phase supply).

Yes it's waterproof. IP65 rated... Don't leave it where it can be submerged or subject to power washing etc.

OP
OP
Remedy234

Remedy234

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you so much. A blue commando socket on the wall will do then?

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
In the states, I put a 50A in my house fuse box and set the charger at 40A (its highest setting) and Iget 9 kW charge to my car. You may have read though that Porsche has made announcements telling people to set their charger (it is configurable) to only 20A. This is because some cheaper plugs get hot and could cause issues/fires. I keep mine at 30A as a compromise but ran it fine at 40A for the first year and will "uptick" it when I need a faster charge. It can be configured very easily from the actual screen on the Mobile Charger Connect. If you have quality parts put in the house, many think 40A config setting is Ok and run it like this all the time.

ColinTheBandit

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Hi
New to EV’s so bear with me. I pick up my Taycan soon but getting confused charger wise. It comes with mobile charger connect. I’ll be charging at home 99% of the time. Do I need a different charger too? Also, is the mobile charger connect waterproof as would be installed outside.
Mine is outside permanently and not had any issues. I have now placed it in the Porsche box but only as there was one on eBay that was very very cheap so bit the bullet as looks good also.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No you don't need anything else, but you will want a 32A commando socket socket to plus your Porsche charger into so you get 7kW charging (will do more if you have a 3 phase supply).

Yes it's waterproof. IP65 rated... Don't leave it where it can be submerged or subject to power washing etc.
It is not IP65 rated - IP55 only (so weather proof to a degree)

Porsche Taycan Do I need another charger ? 1704817215336

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi
Definitely not!

Are you 100% certain that the EVSE (it isn't a charger - that is in the car - same for all EVs) - is the Mobile Charger Connect and not the Mobile Charger Plus? No big deal either way - the PMCC is preferred and will support up to 22kW AC charging if you have a 3 phase supply at home (the car will support 11kW AC charging as standard unless you have the 22kW AC onboard charger option in the car) but also requires a 3 phase supply.

32A fused and earthed supply from your fuse box plus the the 32A EVSE to car cable will provide 7.4kW (ideal for overnight charging). If any part of your electrical supply is restricted to 16A you will only get 3.2kW (or half of the available supply).

IP 55 rated - can exist outside (my neighbour has his exposed to the elements) but I have mine inside in the PMCC Dock.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
To put the commando socket, breaker etc, you'll end up paying about 60 or 70% of the cost of installing a fully tethered permanent EVSE (charger). My recommendation would be to do that and go for one which is smart enough to integrate with Ovo or Octopus to get the most flexibility for their EV price discounts etc. And then keep the porsche one in the car for occasional use when you're out and about.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
To put the commando socket, breaker etc, you'll end up paying about 60 or 70% of the cost of installing a fully tethered permanent EVSE (charger). My recommendation would be to do that and go for one which is smart enough to integrate with Ovo or Octopus to get the most flexibility for their EV price discounts etc. And then keep the porsche one in the car for occasional use when you're out and about.
PMCC works with OVO - it's not related to the EVSE more to do with connectivity to the car and that you have a smart meter in place. PMC+ therefore would also work. I have this setup with PMCC and has been faultless.

I have no other EVSE or requirement for one...frees up some luggage space as a consequence.

OP
OP
Remedy234

Remedy234

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Definitely not!

Are you 100% certain that the EVSE (it isn't a charger - that is in the car - same for all EVs) - is the Mobile Charger Connect and not the Mobile Charger Plus? No big deal either way - the PMCC is preferred and will support up to 22kW AC charging if you have a 3 phase supply at home (the car will support 11kW AC charging as standard unless you have the 22kW AC onboard charger option in the car) but also requires a 3 phase supply.

32A fused and earthed supply from your fuse box plus the the 32A EVSE to car cable will provide 7.4kW (ideal for overnight charging). If any part of your electrical supply is restricted to 16A you will only get 3.2kW (or half of the available supply).

IP 55 rated - can exist outside (my neighbour has his exposed to the elements) but I have mine inside in the PMCC Dock.
it’s this

Mobile Charger Connect
Upgraded mobile charger (mode 2) for charging at household and industrial electrical outlets. The touchscreen allows settings to be changed and different information and statistics on charging processes to be called up. Compatible with the Home Energy Manager

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
PMCC works with OVO - it's not related to the EVSE more to do with connectivity to the car and that you have a smart meter in place. PMC+ therefore would also work. I have this setup with PMCC and has been faultless.

I have no other EVSE or requirement for one...frees up some luggage space as a consequence.
Yes, but if you’re able to use the energy company to EVSE instead (or as well as) to the car there is an advantage. That advantage being you can still get cheap electricity even when the Porsche servers / connectivity are down. Talking from experience of weeks of being unable to use ovo anytime as car wasn’t communicating.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
it’s this

Mobile Charger Connect
Upgraded mobile charger (mode 2) for charging at household and industrial electrical outlets. The touchscreen allows settings to be changed and different information and statistics on charging processes to be called up. Compatible with the Home Energy Manager
PMCC - Perfect!

OP
OP
Remedy234

Remedy234

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you everyone, very much appreciated. I’ll go the commando socket and 32A fused and earthed supply from the fuse box. It’s charged at home overnight 99% of the time

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes, but if you’re able to use the energy company to EVSE instead (or as well as) to the car there is an advantage. That advantage being you can still get cheap electricity even when the Porsche servers / connectivity are down. Talking from experience of weeks of being unable to use ovo anytime as car wasn’t communicating.
The economics don't stack up if another EVSE is in play IMHO.

The PCM connectivity is key as that is what OVO talks to - not the EVSE.

If the PCM fails or connectivity fails then there's a bigger issue to worry about.

Not yet had a connectivity issue but understand your point. Should it occur then I can live with the increase charge per kw which is still 50% cheaper than public charging.

Rossmeldr

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s sport tourismo
Country flag
Now all you need to do is decide on an energy supplier to get cheap EV charging. The big 2 are octopus and OVO charge anytime. Pros and cons of both depending on your EV mileage and domestic demand. If high mileage, then octopus intelligent can be best. Cheap electricity at a set time overnight, for the whole house, but it does up your day time rate. So fine if you want to set your washer/ dryer/ dishwasher to work overnight to benefit from cheap electrons.
OVO charge anytime discount just your EV costs, but doesn't up your daytime rate. So if your family all come home and want showers, oven on, do the washing and ironing, drying etc during the day, this is the one for you. Also, will fully charge your car for your ready time, even if it takes 10 hours solid. Works with only a couple of wall chargers, or luckily the Tycan direct.
Sponsored