Do you have EV-specific license plates?

Do you have EV-specific license plates?

• Yes, for the firefighters, i.e., so that others do not join my charred body once the battery burns.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I live in Texas, where the idea of issuing EV-specific plates is likely to get you burned at the stake as a godforsaken lib. You can get vanity plates with an oil rig, however.

I have PCA plates, which likely pisses off the air-cooled crowd, but whateva. I like the look.
Porsche Taycan Do you have EV-specific license plates? auto.TXOGA (2)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jonathan S.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
I live in Texas, where the idea of issuing EV-specific plates is likely to get you burned at the stake as a godforsaken lib. You can get vanity plates with an oil rig, however. [...]
The ultimate combo would be that oil rig plate on an EV!

So for my vote, I chose the first option, which really is what I got EV plates -- they don't have any practical benefits in Massachusetts.
Conversation while driving to a hike today:
"So this is entirely electric?"
"Yes, and please note my EV special plates. The next time it's 32.01F in January and raining, don't blame me!"
"But what about all those years you've been driving and flying all over getting in your 600,000 vertical feet of skinning for turns?"
"That's all in the past -- I'm focused on the future now!"

I registered the car myself, so the only extra step was that the RMV clerk had to walk from her cubicle to the special stack of EV plates.
But beforehand, I had to read the RMV Special Plate Manual, which provided no information on how to obtain EV plates.
I emailed the RMV (not phone calls allowed!), and the answer the next day was that I had to call the special plates division (calls only, not emails).

For my wife's EV, the dealer did the registration, and had a stack of regular plates, but EV plates would have required sending a runner to the RMV, along with paying a bit more, so the extra hour and extra ~$20 wasn't worth it!

Hawk

First Name
Addy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc C55 AMG, Audi Q7
Country flag
Here in Arizona USA the standard or vanity EV plate (a.k.a. cloud plate) permits solo drivers to use the HOV lanes. Very handy for my frequent trips to Phoenix Sky Harbor airport during morning rush hour!
Canada (Ontario) it's government issued ev plate but this perk comes with it!

OP
OP
Jonathan S.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
I noticed just now that I can receive a discount for my rare drives through NJ.

But the request has to be mailed in!

https://www.ezpassnj.com/en/about/plans.shtml

Green Pass Discount Plan (Tag specific)
Enrolled E-ZPass customers will receive a discount off the full fare off-peak toll on the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. Vehicles that obtain at least 45 miles per gallon and meet the California Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) standard are eligible for the discount. To enroll in the plan the customer must submit a request in writing along with proof of eligibility (a copy of vehicle registration) to:

NJ E-ZPASS Customer Service Center
P.O. BOX 4972
Trenton, NJ 08650

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
I was once asked if my 964 speedster in my signature was an EV because of the plate ….. I guess they misunderstood the context of Air in this case …..

DavidD

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 Jaguar F-Pace R-Dynamic
Country flag
I have an EV plate because it is what came with the car (in Illinois). Besides my plate has only 4 digits which makes it a lot easier to remember!

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In the UK the green flash comes as standard though you can ask the supplying dealer to fit regular plates or change them afterwards.

As I've stated on another thread I honestly believe they act as a theft deterent from thieving scumbags who actively avoid EV's unless on a very specific steal to order. And most of those go the the gulf states which have not exactly embraced EV for obvious reasons (though this is changing) hence a Range Rover 10mpg mega petrol V8 or whatever being stolen ever 3 seconds (I made the last bit up).
It’s not helping Ioniq 5 drivers whose cars seem to be able to get nicked in under 60 seconds. Hyundai don’t seem to be doing much about it. Affects all E-GMP platform cars.

It’s now starting to hit the press how bad the problem is.

when I found out they were stealing them to order in London, I sacked off my Genesis GV60 order. Wouldn’t last the night around here 😅

RedFiveGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi E-Tron GT Quattro
Country flag
It’s not helping Ioniq 5 drivers whose cars seem to be able to get nicked in under 60 seconds. Hyundai don’t seem to be doing much about it. Affects all E-GMP platform cars.

It’s now starting to hit the press how bad the problem is.

when I found out they were stealing them to order in London, I sacked off my Genesis GV60 order. Wouldn’t last the night around here 😅
Yeah just read that on SpeakEV (I think I’ve seen you over there unless someone’s knicked your username too) scary stuff.
Sponsored