Does anyone actually use launch control?

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have a CT4. I used this once and it seemed pretty pointless. But I’d like the extra power it makes available in normal driving eg when overtaking. So why is the extra power only available in launch control?
Sponsored

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I use it now and again to blow the cobwebs away. Only when I can see there are no road users anywhere nearby.
I'd rather it were available on demand, rather than just on launch- on the ICE Porsches the Sport Chrono dial has a central button that would be ideal to boost power for short bursts (even if they were limited in frequency to avoid stressing the electromechanical system).

im85288a

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
But I’d like the extra power it makes available in normal driving eg when overtaking. So why is the extra power only available in launch control?
Agreed 100%, should be available whenever you want it. Launch Control is in my opinion something that should be confined to ICE cars

OP
OP
Swissbob

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
What versions do you have? On the CT4 I’m not sure I noticed much difference (will test it again). Accelerating hard from a stop is the one time the 4 feels a bit underwhelming versus my old Tesla, although to be honest I rarely do it….

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I use it for no practical purpose. But I enjoy fun in my life sometimes.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The REALLY annoying part is the 992 DOES have it on demand, by pressing a button in the middle of the mode selector knob. It puts you in the sportiest setting w boost for 20 seconds.

It'd be amazing if the Taycan had that, too. Unclear why it doesn't.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have a CT4. I used this once and it seemed pretty pointless. But I’d like the extra power it makes available in normal driving eg when overtaking. So why is the extra power only available in launch control?
Never tried it once on my Taycan or on a demonstrator or on a loaner.

Never tried it on my Boxster S which had launch control way back in 2012.

Basically there is no need to launch nor is it a selling point (for me).

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I spec’d the Sports Chrono but not for launch control. The ability to change vehicles settings quickly (with ride height) is high value for me. I have used the launch control on previous Porsche vehicles once or twice for curiosity only.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
What versions do you have? On the CT4 I’m not sure I noticed much difference (will test it again). Accelerating hard from a stop is the one time the 4 feels a bit underwhelming versus my old Tesla, although to be honest I rarely do it….
Here's a test that timed a Turbo (I have the CT version) at 3.16s to 100kph with Launch Control, and 3.26 without it- both runs at the same location within a short space of time. I'm surprised that it's so close- even with the same power, I'd expect that Launch Control would have some advantage due to starting at 100% throttle.
(link below should cue at the start of the timed runs)-

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Does anyone actually use launch control? 1665758233096

The car is a toy and it’s one more feature that I personally use about 1-2/month.
Sponsored