Does anyone actually charge to only 80%?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I charge to 80% every day (and plug in every night no matter what I used that day). Only charge to 100% if I need it that day.

Two other thoughts:

1) I think there was a time when there was concern that leaving the Taycan connected to the charger for “extended” periods could have caused the dreaded dead 12V. Think that has become less of an issue since the big software update.
2) @HerrCooles has a good point (albeit written only in German): just like an iPhone can now tell you its “battery health” and what maximum capacity is (OK maybe not perfectly accurate) it does raise the question if in 2-3 years from now a dealer (or anyone with the right equipment?) will be able to assess the same on an EV. So the idea of “don’t care selling it in x years and charging to 100% every day” might not be the way to go and have some kind of an effect on the residual value.
This already exists. I haven't seen a dealer or wholesaler do this yet, but as I said in an earlier post, private buyers have been doing this on the original Tesla roadster and the Nissan leaf for a few years.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
That's what I do; I don't bother with the timer. My profile is set for 80%, I plug in and it charges to that level. Since my charging times vary a lot based on the SOC of a car that isn't driven on a regular schedule and because I like to charge, when possible, during times when I'm getting good solar production, setting up pre-programmed timing would be totally impractical. I just plug in and unplug as appropriate.
I guess it is different when you have “cheap” electricity. I need the timer to utilise the cheap night rate between 02.00 to 07.00. Electricity is half price and Lower at night rate. And the car normally always manage to charge during that period.

But if you have a flat rate electricity then It does not matter how you charge

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
in the '21 book 85% was lowered to 80%
On the new My Porsche App, for my 2021, it says: "to ensure long battery life, a charge target of 85% is recommended", can't imagine there is a huge difference between the two. Porsche has no consistency of message.

Reactions: B61

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I guess it is different when you have “cheap” electricity. I need the timer to utilise the cheap night rate between 02.00 to 07.00. Electricity is half price and Lower at night rate. And the car normally always manage to charge during that period.

But if you have a flat rate electricity then It does not matter how you charge
I don't have a flat rate and there are times when electricity is much cheaper for me too. My cheapest rate is in effect from 11pm to 7am, but I often still don't want to charge from the grid so, only occasionally, I plug in before I go to bed. More to the point, I try mostly to charge from solar and since I can't accurately predict in advance when I will have sun and when it will be overcast there is little point in setting timers; I have to respond manually.

I'm not suggesting at all that there isn't a point to timers and they are, no doubt, extremely useful for some people. Because of the varied times that I like to charge, they just aren't particularly useful for me.

RinOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I mostly charge between 50% to 60% unless I need the range specifically for a trip. I think70% is the most I’ve ever charged to at home. There are so many fast chargers of all kinds within minutes of my house and along almost every road I use I don’t even think about it. I’m lucky to live in Southern California. Charging speed and availability trumps at home savings to me, especially since EA is footing the bill for now.

Last edited:
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Charge to 85% and go to one of two Electrify America stations once a week to top off to 85% - for FREE!. Will run down to 10 - 20% as dealer and Porsche Experience Center recommended about once per month, for battery longevity.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
On the new My Porsche App, for my 2021, it says: "to ensure long battery life, a charge target of 85% is recommended", can't imagine there is a huge difference between the two. Porsche has no consistency of message.
It may be because they accumulate data on battery degradation which allows them to be less restrictive in their recommendation. My understanding is that MY2022 is expected to have longer range through some thermal management improvement and by allowing some access to the software-locked low range part of the battery.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I charged to 80% in these cold months, I would get about 179 miles of range - MAX

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
If I charged to 80% in these cold months, I would get about 179 miles of range - MAX
No, that is what your guestimated range is on the display. What you actually get at highway speed on dry pavement is a bit more. See below data from last winter. Aftermarket 20" wheels (losing ~3-5% on that alone), 73 mph, temp set to a comfy 72F, start from 100% in order to estimate capacity. By the time you get close to 0F, your morning estimate will look depressing (mine displayed ~140 at 80%), but as you can see it still manages 180 miles.

Porsche Taycan Does anyone actually charge to only 80%? 1638919936219

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, that is what your guestimated range is on the display. What you actually get at highway speed on dry pavement is a bit more. See below data from last winter. Aftermarket 20" wheels (losing ~3-5% on that alone), 73 mph, temp set to a comfy 72F, start from 100% in order to estimate capacity. By the time you get close to 0F, your morning estimate will look depressing (mine displayed ~140 at 80%), but as you can see it still manages 180 miles.

1638919936219.png
Uh, no. I never go by the guesstimate, as it's woefully wrong. I charged to 85% the other evening, 26 degrees outside, I drove some parts of the highway over 90mph, most was city driving and pretty tame. The guesstimate after charging to 85% was 211 miles. I returned home that evening with 10 miles of range left and I had driven 136 miles. That is 146 TOTAL RANGE on 85% charge. Right now I am on pace to 177 miles of range at 85% and that will drop off as I get lower to empty battery, it always does. I don't need to refer to charts, I have experienced the car for 16,000 miles and 20 months.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
That’s huge difference (146 vs 211 Miles)
i haven’t noticed anything like that.
i’ll check tomorrow, i’m going on a drive of about 120km. I have 85% SOC, estimated range 328km.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
I charge to 85% as recommended in the manual, and usually re-charge at 15-20%. I only charge to 100% immediately before long road trips (using a timer and pre-heat/cool for optimum range).

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@John89 : here’s my report.
start: SOC 85%, estimated range: 324km (battery temp. 1C)
complete drive: 115 km, average consumption 26.4kwh/100km
back at home: SOC 52%, estimated range:193km (battery temp: 13).
I was driving in Normal mode all the time.
115+193 = 308km (compared to 324 at start).

btw: i;m impressed That after three nights (parked at less than 0 degrees), SOC was still 85%.
i charged on Wednesday.

edit: i was driving in Normal mode all the time (and AC set to 21.5)
Sponsored

Last edited: