85 % Battery charging - where does this recommendation come from?

CxM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This was posted before, https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/bev/

"A lithium-ion battery is subject to physical and chemical ageing, as well as wear and tear. This reduces the battery capacity, depending on the usage pattern and environmental conditions, resulting in a reduction in range and an increase in charging times as the battery ages. Due to the effect of temperature on battery and charging performance, as well as battery life, please consider the following when parking, driving and charging your car:

If possible, avoid permanent ambient temperatures of over 30°C, such as prolonged parking in direct sunlight.

If you cannot avoid ambient temperatures of over 30°C when stationary, connect the vehicle to the mains supply after use and charge the high-voltage battery with AC (alternating current) to a maximum charge status of 85%.

If the car is left stationary for more than two weeks, the ambient temperature should, if possible, be between 0°C and 20°C and the battery charge status maintained between 20% and 50% during this time.
For the shortest possible charging time, a battery temperature of approx. 30°C to 35°C is ideal.

If charging the car on a daily basis, the maximum charge status of the high-voltage battery should be set to approx. 80%. "

If I charge once a week, is it ok to charge past 90%?
Sponsored

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
With respect to battery usage, I would disagree.

Tesla has had many years to get is 400v architecture and power train to the most efficient state. It shows they get good range with smaller batteries (ignore the EPA over ratings). The Taycan has only had a few years with its 800v architecture and power train. Long ways to go to get to the most efficient state. Looking forward to the second generation of the Taycan whenever that comes out.

And Lucid with its 900v architecture and emphasizes on power train efficiency looks like it has leap frogged everybody. Time and some testers will tell if this is true.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
That’s what I was thinking….charge up to 100%, then going home….when I’ll arrive, I’ll have about 88%,….
(i’m awared about DC, just wanted to be sure when charging at work, three phases 400V, 32amp).
Just curious, why do you want to be at a high state of charge when you get home? Can you not charge at home? For instance, why not charge at work to 80%, then arrive at home at 68%? Then charge at home overnight.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I’d just like to charge less times as possible…. Once a week for my ordinary/average needs (up to 400km).
less work with handling cables, less dirty hands….
i can charge at home (11kwh) or at work (22kwh)

Last edited:

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
has anyone here had their Taycan for almost 2 years yet? I think the first model was released around then.

Any noticeable shortening of the range when charging to your standard max charge?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I have had my car for about 19 months. I charge to 100% before road trips. I charge to 85% when I drive locally. I leave it at 85% for extended periods (1 to 4 weeks at a time). I have not experienced any noticeable decrease in range other than the normal decrease due seasonal temperature changes in the colder months.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Reactions: B61

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
has anyone here had their Taycan for almost 2 years yet? I think the first model was released around then.

Any noticeable shortening of the range when charging to your standard max charge?
Very good question.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag

Length of ownership probably doesn't matter as much as miles driven and charging habits.

Unless someone is knocking on close to 50k miles driven, I doubt we see much degradation. Even if someone charges to 100% everyday, with a huge chunk of the battery being roped off, I can't see it being a huge factor like it was in early model S users that would supercharge to full all the time.

Reactions: B61

farazkhu2

First Name
Fa Fa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 750i, Taycan
Country flag
I have had my car for about 19 months. I charge to 100% before road trips. I charge to 85% when I drive locally. I leave it at 85% for extended periods (1 to 4 weeks at a time). I have not experienced any noticeable decrease in range other than the normal decrease due seasonal temperature changes in the colder months.
Good to hear that.. I keep it at 80 % and 210 to 220 miles range, more than enough for my drive. Charge it twice a week.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
That's it.
i want it.
hey, Porsche, pretty please ???
Aren't you close to Graz? Perhaps you can drop them an email, if they can upgrade your baby. ;)

I am unfortunately too far away... :crying:

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I'm in driving distance to Graz (less than 200km), but it's hard to believe that Porsche would allow such an "upgrade" ?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't think we know if that 15% is at the "top" or "bottom" - meaning is what you see as 100% full really 100% full or is it 85% full? What you see as 0% is it really 0% or is it 15%? Or maybe a mix - like 100% is really 93% and 0% is really 7%?

Still I'd have to agree that over 5 years / 100K miles, 80% vs. 85% isn't likely going to matter, and 100% several times a year (assuming you drive it right after charging to 100%) isn't likely to matter either. Now if you are leasing or planning to sell in 2-3 years, abuse the battery however you want and make it the next owner's problem. Or don't.
Sponsored