Feedback From Current Owners Please

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I posted those screenshots originally.
It was a raven cheetah stance model from 2021. the plaid has nothing to do with the question asked here. Any current P100D can’t launch more than 3 times in a row without overheating. How the plaid does - we will see.

DerekS compared the M3P with the Base Taycan. The Tesla in that case is much quicker. So his list of pro and cons is only applicable to those two models.

Model S to Taycan 4S is almost the same range. The P100D maybe gives you 20-30 miles more, but then when both stop to charge, the Taycan will be long gone with a full charge while the MS is still charging.
Let's start with the assumption that we are comparing cars we can buy today. So that is Model S LR (refresh), Model S Plaid, or M3P.

Agreed that we'll have to wait a bit longer to see how repeatable performance is, and what it looks like in a direct comparison at same temperature, same track etc.

On the charging side, it's probably fairer to see what folks can achieve without a direct comparison (not that easy anyway). The Model S refresh sticks to 250 kw for a good 10-20% of SOC. If you account for the difference in efficiency and look at miles of range charged per minute, the Model S is at least on par.

As an aside, do you have a link for the source? Would love to read a more comprehensive comparison of a 2021 Model S vs. Taycan.
Sponsored

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I understand there's a universal tendency to want to compare Tesla vs Taycan, but that's like asking how one compares attractive person A vs B. They're different.

Looking at 0-60 times and costs is like saying "well A has bigger boobs", and "B has a wealthier family." So what.

Look at the whole package. Date both. My local dealer was nice enough to lend me a Taycan for 72 hours, and a friend with his M3P for a week. In the end I knew who I wanted to propose to.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
DerekS compared the M3P with the Base Taycan. The Tesla in that case is much quicker. So his list of pro and cons is only applicable to those two models.
Actually I compared a 2018 Model 3 LR (RWD). It's a lot faster than my RWD Taycan.

It pains me to say this but it's true.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Also is the Eco Mode for the AC any good? What’s the difference between that and running AC?
Eco mode simply turns the AC compressor off (many car brands have this feature so nothing new here) and so the air is not conditioned.

Apple - account is not tied to the car and you can use an existing one of you have it. New accounts give you 6 months free and an existing one e.g Apple Family will continue to be free. You can skip entirely and use Spotify via Apple Carplay as mentioned.

Range will vary depending on conditions as you'll read on this forum. In my case the max I had in Nov'20 was 220m but now get 235m on an 85% charge. Don't expect 270 - 300m.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't have a lot to add here but I own a 4S with Performance Battery Plus and I'm very pleased with the range. Even with spirited driving, I can easily get 300+ miles of range—well over the EPA estimate.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Eco mode simply turns the AC compressor off (many car brands have this feature so nothing new here) and so the air is not conditioned.
I believe what you describe is the ECO plus mode. I think in ECO mode the compressor still runs but in a more energy efficient mode. Same for fan and cooling circulation pumps. ECO mode gets switched on when you drive in range mode and it is not advised to be used for a while after charging at HPC DC Chargers as the battery might be too warm.

this is a copy of the text from the Good to Know app:

Switching Eco mode on and off
When Eco mode is switched on, the air-conditioning system operates particularly energy efficiently. When the rear seat is unoccupied, the air conditioning in the rear is switched off. The level of comfort in the vehicle may be reduced in order to improve the range (e.g. the passenger compartment may take longer to heat up or cool down).
If the Range driving programme was selected, ECO PLUS mode can be switched on. Passenger compartment ventilation is active to a limited extent in ECO PLUS mode. All other air conditioning functions are significantly reduced or switched off and cannot be selected in order to optimise energy consumption. Selecting another function ends ECO PLUS mode and switches to ECO mode. The configured settings are retained. This does not affect the Range driving programme.

OP
OP
badboy1980

badboy1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Taycan
Country flag
I believe what you describe is the ECO plus mode. I think in ECO mode the compressor still runs but in a more energy efficient mode. Same for fan and cooling circulation pumps. ECO mode gets switched on when you drive in range mode and it is not advised to be used for a while after charging at HPC DC Chargers as the battery might be too warm.

this is a copy of the text from the Good to Know app:

Switching Eco mode on and off
When Eco mode is switched on, the air-conditioning system operates particularly energy efficiently. When the rear seat is unoccupied, the air conditioning in the rear is switched off. The level of comfort in the vehicle may be reduced in order to improve the range (e.g. the passenger compartment may take longer to heat up or cool down).
If the Range driving programme was selected, ECO PLUS mode can be switched on. Passenger compartment ventilation is active to a limited extent in ECO PLUS mode. All other air conditioning functions are significantly reduced or switched off and cannot be selected in order to optimise energy consumption. Selecting another function ends ECO PLUS mode and switches to ECO mode. The configured settings are retained. This does not affect the Range driving programme.
Thanks...

OP
OP
badboy1980

badboy1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Taycan
Country flag
I don't have a lot to add here but I own a 4S with Performance Battery Plus and I'm very pleased with the range. Even with spirited driving, I can easily get 300+ miles of range—well over the EPA estimate.
Following me putting a deposit down, Porsche London have said I can keep a 4S for a day to test drive . It will be interesting to see the range, realistically in my P100D I can probably get around 255 miles on a full charge.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
the range is one thing but the greater challenge is finding available fast / ultra fast chargers which may / may not be a challenge / issue. You may have been spoiled with the Tesla experience but on the positive things are improving at pace elsewhere.

Enjoy the extended test drive....you won't go back!

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Eco runs the compressor less than standard mode. Temperature will be regulated just fine unless it is quite hot outside. However the dehumidification effect from Eco is reduced compared to standard. If you live in a humid area, this may mean that at an otherwise comfortable interior temperature, Eco isn't getting it done. You can do three things to help:
1) Increase fan speed
2) Lower the set temperature (feels like is a function of both temperature and humidity)
3) Switch from diffused airflow to more direct airflow (or even make your own with the individual setting)

Eco Plus is the mode that turns the compressor completely off and uses the outside air only. This means at best you can't get any cooler than the outside air and you have no dehumidification - but it's more efficient than rolling the windows down.

OP
OP
badboy1980

badboy1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Taycan
Country flag
the range is one thing but the greater challenge is finding available fast / ultra fast chargers which may / may not be a challenge / issue. You may have been spoiled with the Tesla experience but on the positive things are improving at pace elsewhere.

Enjoy the extended test drive....you won't go back!
Thanks Adrian....

evfangoblin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I posted those screenshots originally.
It was a raven cheetah stance model from 2021. the plaid has nothing to do with the question asked here. Any current P100D can’t launch more than 3 times in a row without overheating. How the plaid does - we will see.

Model S to Taycan 4S is almost the same range. The P100D maybe gives you 20-30 miles more, but then when both stop to charge, the Taycan will be long gone with a full charge while the MS is still charging.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-tesla-model-s-plaid-first-test-review/

"the Plaid is capable of posting those times consistently, never varying by more than a fraction of a second or so each time we rocketed down the strip. We've never tested a car so robotic in its consistency. "

Porsche Taycan Feedback From Current Owners Please Screenshot 2021-07-12 095023

Last edited:

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Hi All,

I have a Tesla Model S P100D and recently also put a deposit on a Porsche Taycan 4S (with performance battery). Both cars are great and have their own pros/cons. There is no doubt that the Porsche is awesome build quality. I was just wondering if some current owners of the same model (4S with performance battery) could give some thoughts of their experience, e.g. range, issues with the car etc.

This is my first post, so I wish to thank all in advance.

You'll love it.

I have over 13,000 miles on my 2020 4S+, and its been flawless, including on a 5,800 mile road trip through the Western U.S. Received it back last week after the full software and recall software updates. Only thing needed after the update was a couple of convenience settings set again. Basically flawless.

Charging at home is a breeze. Range is only of concern if you're on a long trip. Never a concern for me, even on some remote two lane roads in Colorado. Just plan ahead. I have also found my bladder and the car need attention at about the same time!

Best car ever. Even thinking a bit about a 4S+ Sport Turismo...

OP
OP
badboy1980

badboy1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Taycan
Country flag
You'll love it.

I have over 13,000 miles on my 2020 4S+, and its been flawless, including on a 5,800 mile road trip through the Western U.S. Received it back last week after the full software and recall software updates. Only thing needed after the update was a couple of convenience settings set again. Basically flawless.

Charging at home is a breeze. Range is only of concern if you're on a long trip. Never a concern for me, even on some remote two lane roads in Colorado. Just plan ahead. I have also found my bladder and the car need attention at about the same time!

Best car ever. Even thinking a bit about a 4S+ Sport Turismo...
How much range do you typically get on a full charge?

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
How much range do you typically get on a full charge?
I've never burned it up even close to 0%.

With my driving style, when I charge it at 100%, it usually registers at 250 miles or so on the screen. I’ve seen others on this forum that somehow register 300 miles. Key is driving style and mode settings. I also only charge to 85%, unless heading out on two lane roads with fewer fast or level 2 chargers.

I have no range anxiety on long trips. We just have bathroom anxiety! ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: