First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo review after 10000 km 1687085419855
Here is my writeup of the experience up to now. It has grown to a lot of text, so skip whatever doesn’t interest you - all of it if so be.

Taycan GTS: comfort and firmness, precision and power, solidity and good materials, and even reasonably practical. The suspension handles bumps with aplomb, and steering feel is very very good. The phrase extremely competent comes to mind.

Sport Turismo: I like the outside form of it with a beefier behind, and I appreciate the extra luggage space compared to a sedan. Sport Turismo being available was an important factor in choosing the Taycan. Nice to not have all the plastic cladding and added height of a Cross Turismo - but I could have had the compass in the Sport Chrono position, as there are more than enough clocks around already. (I could gone without Sport Chrono, but it is standard on GTS, and see next point.)

Drive Mode: Porsche’s logic (and maybe regulations) of always starting in Normal mode is wrongly thought out I think. If I change mode, then that is a conscious action that the car definitely should remember. If it had remembered, the Drive Mode knob could have been left out IMO. But the way mode behavior is, the knob is useful. That said, Normal mode is quite good. I have set up Individual to my liking, as a mix of Normal and Sport, but do not use it very often as I am not displeased with Normal.

Electric Sport Sound: what a waste. I know many of you think differently, but I don’t get it. An electric Porsche has great technology and its natural sounds are enjoyable, even when they are less present. Or rather, they are enjoyable also because they are less present. I embrace the electric sound image. I have tried the sport sound on a few occasions (it is standard on GTS), but I am embarrassed by creating so much noise artificially.

Consumption, range, charging: in summer with 21” wheels I am at or just under 200 Wh/km (20 kWh/100 km, 3,1 mi/kWh) in Norwegian driving on medium to long trips. We have a few motorways with up to 110 km/h max, mostly I am on lesser roads with speed a good deal less. Spirited driving takes it well above 200, careful driving can get me down 10%; winter is of course quite much higher. I have no quarrels with this. More range would be nice, but charging infrastructure in Norway is good and charging times are comfortably short even in battery saving mode. Mostly I charge at home anyway with low (kilo)wattage.

Charging of 12 Volt battery during long standstills: I have not had an empty 12 V battery yet, but what a silly algorithm the car uses to charge it. It should keep it charged forever by taking energy from the big battery. I as a user should keep the big battery OK and that should always be enough.

Mamba Green Metallic: see the picture. Need I say more?
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo review after 10000 km 1687085356331

Mission-E 21” silver/black summer wheels: beautiful I think, and they contribute to the driving feel. I have not hit any destructive holes or curbs yet! For comfort and noise 20” could have been better, but are there any as nice ones? I prefer open rims so that the brakes are well visible.

Surface Coated Brakes (PSCB): to me they look good, and they also work well. No squeaks for me, almost no brake dust, no rust.

Black and bordeaux (red) leather interior: I know it is not for everyone, particularly with Mamba Green exterior. But I think it all goes well together. Sitting inside looking at some black, some red and the green fenders and external mirror housings is a joy.

18-way seats with heating and ventilation: they suit me extremely well. I cannot imagine any way they could be better, even on long trips. Massage is not necessary when they are this good. (I have switched off comfort access, as the seatback is behind the B pillar when in my driving position - I’m 6 ft 4.)

Leather on door sills and B pillars: not the most necessary of options, but it avoids some annoying plastic parts and it looks good. Not impractical either, they take wear and tear quite well.

No privacy glass: I am in a clear (pun intended) minority here, but to me privacy glass makes the car look much less harmonious as it breaks up the window area. Practically I can see no downsides to not having it.

Instrument cluster: the physical and graphic design I think is excellent. The contents are a more mixed bag. The “power meter” could give some more info in numbers, like kW going in or out. The left “tube” is a bit wasted for me. As I like both Information and Trip visible, I think I should have been able to have one of them to the left. The way it is, I have to sacrifice more than two thirds of the map in the PCM screen to use MyScreen with Trip there (Trip, map, media instead of fullscreen map).

Night Vision Assist: the feature is not useful most of the time, but when it is it is very useful (quite many deer around here). Placement of the display in a tube could have been more flexible.

Center console: who invented the lid? It could have been worse, but not much. The space under it is not much to write home about either.

ACC, but no InnoDrive or Active Lane Keeping: I’ve written about it before, so I will be short (for once). I prefer active driving to half-good assistance systems that need to be surveilled all the time.

No HUD: I had HUD in my previous car, and liked it to a degree. But having a “clean windshield” also has its charm. Since the Taycan HUD design IME is a rather ugly covering of the instrument binnacle, and what it does is a bit limited, I skipped it. Maybe I have missed it once or twice, but I do not regret leaving it out.

PCM and passenger screen: I like how the screens are integrated in the dash, and they are big enough. Apart from that, it is a matter of software, and again a mixed bag. Functionality is OK when it works, which is most of the time. But it reboots by itself more often than it should, and there could be more user choice here and there. Why does MyScreen have to have three parts for example? I could make use of one third for Trip and two thirds navigation.

Maneuvering cameras: I don’t have active park assist, so I have a top view, front and back views and a set of side views. The images are mostly too hard to interpret for driving, with the side views least bad: they actually help a lot.

Over the air updates: rare and unsubstantial so far. But they are a tool, not an end in themselves. To me the important thing is that Porsche keep doing software improvements. It is not important to me to get them over the air, but sending them over the air would probably make them easier to handle for them, and in that sense they would be welcome.

No rear axle steering: I was in doubt about this one, but skipped it because I did not like the thought of feeling the rear axle go sideways on a slippery winter road (we have a lot of that in Norway) without knowing if it was just RAS. The improvements in turning circle and higher-speed stability did not seem to be very important for my use either. Later, I have become aware of some challenges with RAS when driving out from close to a curb. So I don’t regret, but could see the matter differently with more experience.

No active anti roll bars: I don’t track the car, it has a low CoG and rather stiff suspension, so I did not see the point really. My experience now is that it rolls very little also without the active bars, and even in Normal mode, and I have absolutely no regrets here.

Faults and repairs. nothing (apart from software glitches).

In short: a 9 out of 10. Software, the center console lid and space under it, maneuvering cameras and a couple of other things costs it that tenth point.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Thanks for writing up your thoughts about your experience so far.
This is my favourite bit...
Black and bordeaux (red) leather interior: I know it is not for everyone, particularly with Mamba Green exterior. But I think it all goes well together. Sitting inside looking at some black, some red and the green fenders and external mirror housings is a joy.
... and it exactly describes my feelings about my own combination of Frozen Blue over Black & Bordeaux. IMO, fun, stimulating cars suit fun, stimulating colours (and also makes them easier to find in crowded car parks😁).

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Oh neat, I guess I'm also at just over 10,000km at this point in my GTS ST, so maybe I should share my thoughts too. I'll stick mostly to where I disagree a bit on things though.

Acid Green: Objectively the best color. ;)

Sport Turismo: Agree on losing the plastic cladding from the CT being a win, but man I wish I had the gravel mode from the CT and the extra ground clearance for snowy conditions. Hasn't been a huge deal, but would give me a lot more confidence in poor weather.

Consumption, range, charging: Range is good, but man would I feel so much better about it if we had access to Tesla chargers in the US. This is what takes the Taycan down to a 9/10 IMO. I desperately wish I had the confidence to be able to take off for a road trip without a few hours of planning.

Standard brakes and wheels: The Midwest USA has absolutely awful roads, and no way I'd survive with 21" wheels. Definitely get some brake dust as a result, but not much.

18-way seats with GTS Race-tex: Really enjoying having non-leather seats for the first time in about a decade so far. It doesn't get nearly as hot/cold as leather, and gets comfortable very quickly, even without ventilated seats. Even the steering wheel is still in good shape and it's not that hard to take care of.

Instrument cluster: God it's frustrating to have such a great screen, but lack the real customization to have it fit your needs. The layout has so much wasted space and where there isn't wasted space there are strict limits of what you can have in those spaces.

Center console: I really just want to strangle the engineers that decided to have the resting open height to be about 25% open. Literally just have it open all the way on its own and it would be fine, if a bit small. I keep my sunglasses in there and its such an awkward movement to hold the console open with my elbow and try to grab my sunglasses without touching the lenses.

ACC with Innodrive and ALK: Don't get me wrong, I love driving, but this is invaluable if you ever need to deal with bumper to bumper traffic, and it makes stop and go almost enjoyable.

HUD: I've fallen in love with HUDs since my X1 had it. Even if there isn't much useful info on it, just having the speed there is so much nicer than on the dash IMO. I'd love for it to do more, but it is essential equipment IMO.

PCM: The center console screen next to the cupholders seems to have very little utility and should just be a few dedicated buttons. The steering wheel should have almost exclusively customizable buttons. Overall it's not so bad, but it just feels like Porsche is caught up in trying to make it feel 'high tech' without really thinking about the UI experience.

RAS: I chose it and I imagine it helps, but I can also say I haven't driven too many long wheelbase cars in the past, so maybe I don't realize how bad it can be.

OP
OP
or1

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Oh neat, I guess I'm also at just over 10,000km at this point in my GTS ST, so maybe I should share my thoughts too. I'll stick mostly to where I disagree a bit on things though.

Acid Green: Objectively the best color. ;)

Sport Turismo: Agree on losing the plastic cladding from the CT being a win, but man I wish I had the gravel mode from the CT and the extra ground clearance for snowy conditions. Hasn't been a huge deal, but would give me a lot more confidence in poor weather.

Consumption, range, charging: Range is good, but man would I feel so much better about it if we had access to Tesla chargers in the US. This is what takes the Taycan down to a 9/10 IMO. I desperately wish I had the confidence to be able to take off for a road trip without a few hours of planning.

Standard brakes and wheels: The Midwest USA has absolutely awful roads, and no way I'd survive with 21" wheels. Definitely get some brake dust as a result, but not much.

18-way seats with GTS Race-tex: Really enjoying having non-leather seats for the first time in about a decade so far. It doesn't get nearly as hot/cold as leather, and gets comfortable very quickly, even without ventilated seats. Even the steering wheel is still in good shape and it's not that hard to take care of.

Instrument cluster: God it's frustrating to have such a great screen, but lack the real customization to have it fit your needs. The layout has so much wasted space and where there isn't wasted space there are strict limits of what you can have in those spaces.

Center console: I really just want to strangle the engineers that decided to have the resting open height to be about 25% open. Literally just have it open all the way on its own and it would be fine, if a bit small. I keep my sunglasses in there and its such an awkward movement to hold the console open with my elbow and try to grab my sunglasses without touching the lenses.

ACC with Innodrive and ALK: Don't get me wrong, I love driving, but this is invaluable if you ever need to deal with bumper to bumper traffic, and it makes stop and go almost enjoyable.

HUD: I've fallen in love with HUDs since my X1 had it. Even if there isn't much useful info on it, just having the speed there is so much nicer than on the dash IMO. I'd love for it to do more, but it is essential equipment IMO.

PCM: The center console screen next to the cupholders seems to have very little utility and should just be a few dedicated buttons. The steering wheel should have almost exclusively customizable buttons. Overall it's not so bad, but it just feels like Porsche is caught up in trying to make it feel 'high tech' without really thinking about the UI experience.

RAS: I chose it and I imagine it helps, but I can also say I haven't driven too many long wheelbase cars in the past, so maybe I don't realize how bad it can be.
Great to read your points!

My main hope for software updates is that they allow more customization of the screens.

DexD

First Name
Declan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 93KW, Mk 2 VW GTi, Fiat X 1/9 Lido
Country flag
Totally agree about the privacy glass ( and the Mission-Es)
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo review after 10000 km IMG_7521

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
Agree totally with the privacy glass. I also have none. I really does ruin the balance and makes the rear look big.

I don't agree on rear steer. This is the first car I've had with it and love how it feels nimble and smaller than it really is.

Mamba green was on my short list but fell in love with Neptune. Colour is a very personal thing.

Thanks for the write up. Useful to hear of people who have had their car longer than me.

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Regarding the HUD, I honestly couldn't drive without it now. I feel like I NEVER look down anymore and when driving my wife's car I feel lost for a few minutes because I don't see the speed :CWL:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Regarding the HUD, I honestly couldn't drive without it now. I feel like I NEVER look down anymore and when driving my wife's car I feel lost for a few minutes because I don't see the speed :CWL:
When I went through the things that were standard on a Prius but optional on the Porsche I decided HUD wasn’t something I looked at often enough to be worth what they charge. I felt the same about night vision, automatic parking and comfort access.
The funny thing is, now I don’t have it on the Taycan I don’t look at it any more in the Prius if I get in it, so like you in the opposite sense 😂

Elroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, VW Golf GTI Mk8, Ford Raptor 6.2L
Country flag
Thanks for your detailed write-up. Have 5,800 mi. on our one year old MY22 GTS sedan.
Really like the rear wheel steering. Handling at triple digit speeds is rock solid and the turning radius seems smaller than our VW GTI.

Reactions: or1

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The haptic screen above the cup holders is the dumbest thing in the Taycan. Give me the new Cayenne AC buttons any day. My least favorite aspect of the car.

driver69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S 2021
Country flag
Mission E wheels are the best I’ve ever seen or had, ever. Good review. Love the sport sound though 😉 Batmobile vibes
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo review after 10000 km IMG_6871

Reactions: or1

jwarner

First Name
jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
macan gts, taycan gts st
Country flag
Thanks. How is ride and handling in the winter? What tires/wheels are you using?

OP
OP
or1

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Thanks. How is ride and handling in the winter? What tires/wheels are you using?
I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 on Offroad Design 20" rims. Softer than the summer combination with Goodyear Eagle F1, and less precise, but that has to be expected. Fairly good on both snow and ice. (Winters in southern Norway are mostly mild.)
Sponsored