Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
I believe UK government has just approved driver free driving on motorways in UK for Ford 2023 Mustang E SUV

I wonder if Porsche Innodrive could also get approved in UK is this beginning of the end for driver control of own car's views please
Sponsored

kurand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, Lotus Elise S1
Country flag
My experience with innodrive on my MY20 Cayenne E-hybrid is that it would likely damage a lot of folks if it was approved for hands free driving even in motorways. People will just chill out too much and it’s speed limit observation will cause too many issues.

I did not spec innodrive on my Taycan.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Even adaptive cruise not doing what it should and suddenly slowing or speeding up leaves me a nervous wreck.

I am a bad passenger even with a sentient driver, I’d probably die of a heart attack during a drive in an autonomous car.

I was delighted I didn’t even have adaptive cruise imposed on me with my Taycan, it was unavoidable on my other car and I don’t use it because it is wrong often enough to not bother with...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I believe UK government has just approved driver free driving on motorways in UK for Ford 2023 Mustang E SUV

I wonder if Porsche Innodrive could also get approved in UK is this beginning of the end for driver control of own car's views please
ABSOLUTELY NO FECKING WAY!!!

I hate anything autonomous as they are 100% dangerous and too reliant on technology.

What happens should the camera detection fail....tatties over the side I fear??

The various "aids" on the Taycan (and other Porsches) are not foolproof as it is.

Actually surprised that this got approved by Thatcham.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Even adaptive cruise not doing what it should and suddenly slowing or speeding up leaves me a nervous wreck.
The adaptive cruise on my Taycan is definitely not ready for prime time. Scary bad if you try to change lanes in traffic with it engaged.

I’ve also found that the collision avoidance sensors/software is wayyy too sensitive. I’ve been turning behind cars passing in the other direction twice now, when the car sensed a collision that wasn’t even possible and locked the brakes. Crazy embarrassing.

Wilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S On Order, Tesla M3P, A35 AMG
Country flag
ABSOLUTELY NO FECKING WAY!!!

I hate anything autonomous as they are 100% dangerous and too reliant on technology.

What happens should the camera detection fail....tatties over the side I fear??

The various "aids" on the Taycan (and other Porsches) are not foolproof as it is.

Actually surprised that this got approved by Thatcham.
🤣 ‘Tatties over the side’ is a fantastic North Eastern saying that might need a bit of explaining to most!!

I absolutely agree with you tho, have opted not to get ACC on our build as I prefer to retain full control, the roads round here can be mental sometimes!

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I absolutely agree with you tho, have opted not to get ACC on our build as I prefer to retain full control, the roads round here can be mental sometimes!
Honestly, ACC is great for use in stop and go traffic, IF you’re staying in one lane. Love it for that. But it’s ridiculous that it can’t tell the difference between a three foot gap between lanes and a fully empty lane. Crazy that this issue wasn’t detected and corrected during development and/or testing.

I would definitely spec it again, but I would never trust it for more general use or as part of a broader autonomous driving system.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
🤣 ‘Tatties over the side’ is a fantastic North Eastern saying that might need a bit of explaining to most!!
I asked my wife, born in Aberdeen, raised in Cullen and she didn’t know, so I looked it up myself 😂

Wilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S On Order, Tesla M3P, A35 AMG
Country flag
I asked my wife, born in Aberdeen, raised in Cullen and she didn’t know, so I looked it up myself 😂
And here’s me born in Blackpool but now a long time Aberdeen resident. Don’t have the accent but do know my Doric!!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And here’s me born in Blackpool but now a long time Aberdeen resident. Don’t have the accent but do know my Doric!!
Ha!
I’m from Kirkham.

Sheenagh talks in the Doric with her friends and family and I am fairly familiar now after half a century but I’m not sure that is Doric as much as a slang saying otherwise I’m sure I’d have heard it before!

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
You fuddie duddies!!

The weakest link in a Taycan is the human in the driving seat.
Much less reliable than technology.
If you don’t keep concentrating with Active Lane Keeping the seatbelt actually throttles you!

I am sat in my Taycan in the rain in an industrial wasteland at Ionity Dijon Sud charging up.
Bolton Hull Rotterdam Grenoble and now on the way back. 1042.2 miles so far!
The gorgeous combo of ACC and Active Lane Keeping have made the journey safer and an absolute joy.
The cherry on top when driving a Taycan for 24hrs.
( I can’t be doing with Innodrive)
I defy anyone to not have a moments lapse in concentration in 1000 miles and 24hrs driving.
Stops you wandering out of the lane and the deceleration when a vehicle is sensed ahead is gentle, reassuring and only Very occasionally do you get a false positive. (Braking when it doesn’t need too or a bit too strongly.
Never had a false negative (ie NOT braking when it should.)

The radar is much more subtle, gentle and progressive than the Autoregen with the steering wheel @ button which runs off the camera.

(I like normal cruise control too but I find it most disconcerting when it powers up a hill straight up the arse of a decelerating truck.)
Normal cruise is prehistoric compared to ACC/ALK!

Don’t knock it until and unless you have tried it.
Extensively.
it really is very good.

You will be wanting a Taycan with a manual gearbox, clutch and wind up windows next!

Ready to go to hotel now!

Porsche Taycan Hands Free Driving in uk 37844180-69BD-4F2E-AB13-991A6C2B1A62

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
You fuddie duddies!!

The weakest link in a Taycan is the human in the driving seat.
Much less reliable than technology.
The cherry on top when driving a Taycan for 24hrs.
( I can’t be doing with Innodrive)
I defy anyone to not have a moments lapse in concentration in 1000 miles and 24hrs driving.
That's only reinforced my fear that such systems will encourage people to drive when they're really not up to it.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I tried watching that video - but it's a bit tedious.

What I am wondering (and I know nothing of the subject matter)....
Are Tesla still leaders in this field? Or are traditional manufacturers now catching up/overtaking them with self driving?
Sponsored