Head-up Display MJ 2021

Cilviloze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, MB E class, MB S class, Alphard
Country flag

Anyway, those of you who could or already have added HUD: Would you pick this before NightVision, or combined? It is an unquestioned fact that NightVision is a system that enhance safety in certain situations and conditions.

So, I’m just curious to know your opinion, and note that I don’t argue HUD itself as an nice option. I indulge everyone, so this comment is with no sour grape or envy. It somehow boils down to the difficultly of which options one should choose, as all of them together get too expensive.
Night Vision is really low priority in my option list. Only if I had unlimited budget, I'd get one. why not? But I probably never use it though.

HUD is a nice gadget to me. I may add it to my order.
Sponsored

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had a Taycan TTS, now have an Aston DBS, RR SVR, F-Type S, Ford Ranger Wildcat
Country flag
Right, I'm just saying I don't know how they'd fit all of the components for a HUD in the current "floating" Taycan instrument cluster. If you look down at the cluster from outside, it would seem pretty improbable for the engineers to have designed a HUD somehow in the floating instrument cluster. Thus why they had to hide the components for the HUB underneath a "hood" over the instrument cluster.
Fair enough, I think I misunderstood you. As I mentioned earlier in this thread. Audi A6s had a similar problem and stuck an ugly lump of plastic on top until they eventually did a full redesign. I suspect Porsche just didn't allow for the HUD and have come up with (IMO) a smooth but bulky solution until they re-work the dash in gen 2 (perhaps). It will be very interesting to see what Audi do with the E-tron GT.

kingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera E-Hybrid, Taycan Turbo (ordered)
Country flag
Slightly contentious perhaps but I didn't like the original curved dash (thought it looked slightly cheap) and when I saw the HUD option I jumped at it because it covered the screen more than actually wanting a HUD. Obviously not seen it implemented in the flesh so I may eat those words. I've added to my order for Oct/Nov delivery

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
It’s just horrible what Porsche have done with the hud. No idea why they need that curved thing going round a beautiful futuristic dash. HUD can wait until a version come out that is properly designed.
I got an early Turbo S and i really like the configuration of the curved dash and the three zones of information. Certain elements are obscured by the position of the steering wheel, but in actual driving situations I find that there is little information on the dash that I need.

Besides having a Nav screen in front of me along with the adjacent Nav screen on top of the console I would not need that info projected elsewhere. I like to see my speed and this appears clearly in the center element. If I want to check my tire pressure or other trip info I can easily do that from the dash. Other indications like "regen" are easily accessible to the left in front of the driver as are the height position of the car and suspension settings to the right.

I do find that the top of the steering wheel -- I have set my wheel fairly low--slightly obscures temp. and time, but a quick glance right or left shows these. I can't imagine what a HUD would contribute that isn't already clear and available while driving. The idea that it ruins the look of the Taycan's distinctive dash layout is reason enough not to get it.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
So it’s not projected onto the windshield?? That’s not a HUD. I’ve had HUD on my cars for 15 years and love it. My hands and/or the steering wheel block much of the dash screen, and it gives me an easy way to see my speed. Plus my eyes can focus much easier on the HUD than the dash, without reading glasses. But this looks even worse, the steering wheel is right in front of it.

HUD was the main feature that had me considering canceling my order and waiting for the update. But not this.
Yes, its projected on the windshield - or more precisely its REFLECTED VIA the windshield. This is the way most every "integrated" HUD is done. Thats why it looks like its 30cm in front of the driver (the distance to the windshield and then the distance back down to the light source). You don't PROJECT onto the glass - you REFLECT via the glass...

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes, its projected on the windshield - or more precisely its REFLECTED VIA the windshield. This is the way most every "integrated" HUD is done. Thats why it looks like its 30cm in front of the driver (the distance to the windshield and then the distance back down to the light source). You don't PROJECT onto the glass - you REFLECT via the glass...
yes, I know - I’ve had HUD in my cars for over 15 years. I miss it. Mostly for the speed. With HUD you always know your speed. Having to glance down is somehow a bit of a hardship. And I do exceed the speed limit once in a while in this car, so it’s nice to know your speed.

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
I absolutely loved HUD on some cars i've had, but found it fairly useless as i wear polarised sunglasses a lot.

I was tempted by it in my Taycan, but pushed over to the "no" side given the dash changes. I'm still waiting for delivery so not sure if i regret it yet :CWL:

Interestingly i modified my order for the night vision. I went without it, but then it came as an option, which i ignored, and then i realised i'd be driving a lot during the winter and have had 2 contact incidents with deer in the last 24 months, one of which meant i had to go back home and fetch a knife (would prefer to dispatch with a gun but police wouldnt be too happy on a public road) and wouldnt forgive myself if the option could have saved the car. So went for it :like::CWL:

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I absolutely loved HUD on some cars i've had, but found it fairly useless as i wear polarised sunglasses a lot.
This was the biggest reason I'm not bummed I couldn't order it, as I'm almost always wearing polarized prescription sunglasses in the car.

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
This was the biggest reason I'm not bummed I couldn't order it, as I'm almost always wearing polarized prescription sunglasses in the car.
Yeah i couldnt agree more as same here. Everytime i get into a HUD car i whack the brightness up to max and it helps a bit, and it does a bit, but not enough.

If they could develop something that worked with polarised glasses, like my macbook pro which works perfectly with polarised sunglasses, i'd spec it without a second thought!

I'm a massive fan of my old-skool Oakley X-Metals :cool:

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
It's an actual HUD as can be seen in the attached picture. The issue is that they added some extra cowling over the curved display probably to give extra room for the HUD hardware. I too am a big fan of HUD but not like this.

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 8.36.46 AM.png
Thanks all. This is extremely helpful. I think I will save the money

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Slightly contentious perhaps but I didn't like the original curved dash (thought it looked slightly cheap) and when I saw the HUD option I jumped at it because it covered the screen more than actually wanting a HUD. Obviously not seen it implemented in the flesh so I may eat those words. I've added to my order for Oct/Nov delivery
I'm actually in the unpopular camp as well ;-) I like the way it looks with the HUD better than without.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I'm actually in the unpopular camp as well ;-) I like the way it looks with the HUD better than without.
I'm with you. The floating dash screen is kind of neat for a bit, but it strikes me as one of those features that's trying too hard to look futuristic, and in 5 years will look super dated.
Sponsored