buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
Thanks for this. I have had some build quality issues with my Tesla which i'm sure comes at no surprise as this is well documented and known. The reason i am looking at a Taycan is because its one of the best built EV car money can buy presently which is important to me after my experience with Tesla.

I don't really feel like its necessary for me to defend myself and i'm quite surprised by some of the negative feedback. I am not here to waste peoples time or create conflict. Regarding my last two comments, understated looks and value for money are not "strange" - again i'm not sure why i need to elaborate or defend these points
Hey, sorry for the troll accusation. It’s hard to tell sometimes if it’s someone’s first post. I’ve seen some trolls begin with a similar line of questioning. I think if performance specs for $$ and looks are important, you can’t really beat the M3P. You’d have to step up to a Turbo to get the same feel. I ordered the Taycan TS after doing some test drives and am accepting there will be plenty of software idiosyncrasies…

Ability to disable is there in Model 3. Agreed, that yoke is a JOKE.
I found a slider to change regen level but it didn’t feel like it did anything. I asked the tesla sales rep after and they said it wasn’t possible. Maybe I’m missing something.

Reactions: B61

Helixer

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 Carrera 991.2 and 2020 Cayenne
Country flag
I deliberated between the Model 3 Performance and the Taycan 4S, and I chose the Tesla.
  1. I wanted a fun everyday driver for 2 or 3 years, and I was very impressed with the excellent steering, acceleration, regen braking and handling. I much prefer it to the BMW M3, which I think is its target.
  2. Very comfy seats...for me.
  3. Easy to enter and exit.
  4. More accommodating for all of my golf stuff.
  5. Great software.
  6. Excellent resale value.
  7. No nickel diming for options.
That said, IMO, Taycan if far more handsome and the interior is superior, and for those reasons there may be one in the future after it's tweaked a bit. In the meantime, the Tesla definitely puts a smile on my face (while enjoying an under-the-radar status), and I still have my Carrera and Cayenne for the pure fun and practical Porsche fixes I still require.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I don't really feel like its necessary for me to defend myself and i'm quite surprised by some of the negative feedback. I am not here to waste peoples time or create conflict.
You shouldn't have to at all. Its not you, its the Tesla "fans" and "trolls" that regularly show up to other EV forums and try to preach the cult of Tesla. They have poisoned the well more than they realize and created a toxic environment when someone mentions Tesla. I don't think they realize they are not actually converting anyone to the brand, rather creating a very strong resistance to it.

Honestly when I read your post I wasn't sure which way to read it. Partly because it seems you have a "lean" for Tesla, so why not stick with it? I for one find the car so underwhelming and amateurish for my driving and aesthetic tastes that I prefers the Bolt to the Model 3 (enough said).

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
If these features are important to you, you should probably stick with Tesla.

Former Tesla owner here. Other than the fact that the Model 3 and Taycan are powered by electric motors, they have almost nothing else in common.

Teslas are like appliances. They are the perfect car for people who don’t like cars. They will get you from point A to point B with incredible range, an outstanding charging network, and world-class software and autonomous driving capabilities. They’re like those high-end Samsung refrigerators with the built-in tablet and cameras that will automatically order groceries when you’re out of milk (yes, that’s an actual thing).

Porsches are outstanding automobiles—period. Timeless design, exceptional materials (inside and out), fun-to-drive, incredible handling and driving dynamics. The last thing you want the Taycan to do is drive itself. It’s hard to describe unless you own a Porsche because the best things about it can’t be described in bullet-points; it’s the intangibles. Tesla, on the other hand, is clearly the better car on paper.

Anyway, I would not recommend the Taycan to you, but best of luck with your decision.
Well, Tesla M3P is not just a car to go from A to B. It is an enjoyable car, I had it next a 911 991.2 and BMW M140i and was happy always to sit in and really enjoyed the drive.
Additionally it is in the category Merc C/BMW 3/Audi A4 and there are many of them bored me more than a M3P. Taycan is much much better but these cars are far not direct competitors.
Tesla M3P is a car for people who like cars.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...but it's no Porsche and handling and ride quality, comfort and general build quality of the Taycan is way way way better than the Model 3

If you want a luxury sports sedan get the Taycan
if you want an affordable Appliance get the Tesla
:giggle: You've come a long way... ;)

...when presented to me by my service manager - it was a list of inspection items - again with no actual service items.
Which is good, right? Who wants to spend money on worn out replacement parts/fluids.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well, Tesla M3P is not just a car to go from A to B. It is an enjoyable car, I had it next o 911 991.2 and BMW M140i and was happy always to sit in and really enjoyed the drive.
Additionally it is in the category Merc C/BMW 3/Audi A4 and there are many of them bored me more than a M3P. Taycan is much much better but these cars are far not direct competitors.
Tesla M3P is a car for people who like cars.
Just my personal opinion, but I think Teslas are boring. Uninspiring design, they feel cheap, poor build quality, low grade materials, panel gaps, sagging headliners. Not to mention driving dynamics are nothing at all like a Porsche or any German car in its class IMO. It feels floaty and disconnected from the road.

BUT, the software is amazing. It’s like a smartphone on wheels. Also, the autonomous driving is pretty cool.

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
I think enjoyment is highly personal. So why not enjoy any Tesla (or any other car) if it passionates you? Many will not be aware/care of ridiculous paint jobs, poor fit / finish, etc.

That said, performance is a package: raw hp or speed without good brakes or suspension (Tesla has neither) can cause serious s**t, unless you are doing runs on an airport runway.

Yes, Tesla self-driving capabilities are better than Porsche's, and any other manufacturer's in Europe, though I did not try them extensively and I'm interested in driving the car myself most of times.

Infotainment: Tesla's UI seems better to me but does it support CarPlay or Android Auto? How do I listen to Apple Music, Tidal or other unsupported providers? Bluetooth? Please... Is Tesla a reference OS in the mobile phone industry?
Finally is Tesla's music system better than Burmester ? I did not try the first so I don't know.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Thanks for this. I have had some build quality issues with my Tesla which i'm sure comes at no surprise as this is well documented and known. The reason i am looking at a Taycan is because its one of the best built EV car money can buy presently which is important to me after my experience with Tesla.

I don't really feel like its necessary for me to defend myself and i'm quite surprised by some of the negative feedback. I am not here to waste peoples time or create conflict. Regarding my last two comments, understated looks and value for money are not "strange" - again i'm not sure why i need to elaborate or defend these points
Your points are valid and so is your question. But then, if you read this thread, you'll understand the problem:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...t-caused-replacements-damages-and-fires”.7809

The bottom line is: I have a 6 years old MS90D with lots of issues. I got a 4S+ in Aug 2020 with basically no issues. If you can afford a Taycan, buy it and you will be happy every time you drive it.

phil-c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Lotus elise s2 111s
Country flag
Hello,

My first maintenance is 30,000 km or 18,750 miles

I had a model s before

Porsche Taycan Help! Calling ex Tesla Model 3 owners taycan

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just my personal opinion, but I think Teslas are boring. Uninspiring design, they feel cheap, poor build quality, low grade materials, panel gaps, sagging headliners. Not to mention driving dynamics are nothing at all like a Porsche or any German car in its class IMO. It feels floaty and disconnected from the road.

BUT, the software is amazing. It’s like a smartphone on wheels. Also, the autonomous driving is pretty cool.
These are the things improved a lot. My one is late 2019 car. Have better panel gaps than on my 911, no rattles at all while 911 always had. For me the interior never feel cheap rather clean minimal design. Headliners are in premium quality. Steering and handling excellent compere to the competitors in its class. Driving dynamics are excellent also compared to its class.

60k car should never be compared to a 150k car. All Porsches are much better on most of the way, but M3P is much much better than you subscribe.

I am waiting a lot to my ordered Taycan GTS, but will keep the M3P in my family as an excellent car.

Used it for more than 2 years/53k km. Had one issue, a month ago: Squeaking upper swing arm left front. Tesla service changed both front in 2 weeks waiting time in 1,5 hours. Under warrantee of course (4Y/80k km). My Taycan will have 2Y warranty only, so it would be my cost in that case.
Porsche Taycan Help! Calling ex Tesla Model 3 owners IMG_1161

Last edited:

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think enjoyment is highly personal. So why not enjoy any Tesla (or any other car) if it passionates you? Many will not be aware/care of ridiculous paint jobs, poor fit / finish, etc.

That said, performance is a package: raw hp or speed without good brakes or suspension (Tesla has neither) can cause serious s**t, unless you are doing runs on an airport runway.

Yes, Tesla self-driving capabilities are better than Porsche's, and any other manufacturer's in Europe, though I did not try them extensively and I'm interested in driving the car myself most of times.

Infotainment: Tesla's UI seems better to me but does it support CarPlay or Android Auto? How do I listen to Apple Music, Tidal or other unsupported providers? Bluetooth? Please... Is Tesla a reference OS in the mobile phone industry?
Finally is Tesla's music system better than Burmester ? I did not try the first so I don't know.
I can answer you. Tesla's music system is not better than Burmester system.
But have no idea why do you compare a cost free Tesla system to the high end Taycan system that costs alone EUR6k+.

If you compare music systems correctly, you should do with the base (cost free) versions.
On that level Tesla's music system way way better then Taycan's.
Especially my M3P system is better than my 911 Bose.

Last edited:

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
fair point in principle on comparing like for like. So which upgraded Tesla's system should I compare it to (model 3 or S , plaid or whatever)? I have no detailed idea of their options but I fear the answer is "none", regardless of model chosen?

My point is that, on the infotainment side (let alone re: far more "serious" components - which I tried first hand, like brakes), I don't want to be stuck with a manufacturer which offers no upgrades even if I am willing to pay for them or does not allow me to connect my mobile phone and use the services I want, on the grounds that... "they know best" or I don't know which other one.

Not my cup of tea. A nice UI is not enough (for me).

ps. the Bose on Taycan is fair game, especially given traffic and wind noise, sound reflections in the cabin, etc. which take away from a perfect listening anyway

I can answer you. Tesla's music system is not better than Burmester system.
But have no idea why do you compare a cost free Tesla system to the high end Taycan system that costs alone EUR6k+.

If you compare music systems correctly, you should do with the base (cost free) versions.
Especially my M3P system is better than my 911 Bose.

Last edited:

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag

Why? If you are going to compare them at all, which I think is silly in the first place, then any option available on the Taycan is a fair comparison. Comparing the best available on both is perfectly fair. Especially when the only thing the two cars have in common is that they are EVs. Even comparing the base RWD Taycan against the base M3 is silly since the base Taycan is twice as expensive as the M3.

I don't know about everyone else, but a Tesla wasn't even on the table when I started looking for a new car and the lack of customization was one of the primary reasons in addition to all of the bad reviews on build quality and handling.

They are two different cars, targeted at different consumers. If cost is a primary concern then the M3P might be very appealing.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
fair point in principle on comparing like for like. So which upgraded Tesla's system should I compare it to (model 3 or S , plaid or whatever)? I have no detailed idea of their options but I fear the answer is "none", regardless of model chosen?

My point is that, on the infotainment side (let alone re: far more "serious" components - which I tried first hand, like brakes), I don't want to be stuck with a manufacturer which offers no upgrades even if I am willing to pay for them or does not allow me to connect my mobile phone and use the services I want, on the grounds that... "they know best" or I don't know which other one.

Not my cup of tea. A nice UI is not enough (for me).

ps. the Bose on Taycan is fair game, especially given traffic and wind noise, sound reflections in the cabin, etc. which take away from a perfect listening anyway
The closest like for like could be the 2022 Model S plaid either the music or category.
it is well known, Tesla has not a lot of options especially not more than wheels colours 2-3 interior trims and driving aids.
But on music system side they are top notch on performance and higher trim versions.
Yes ACP is a disadvantage. Apple Music is a different story. Porsche is with AM integrated, Tesla with Spotify and many others I do not use.

Thanks for the info on Taycan Bose, that is my configuration. Burmester is out of my budget I have already EUR163k end price included the world record 27%VAT.
Sponsored