whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
is the double insulated glass really not effective? I have an early model 3 so it’s not as quiet as I’d like. A YT review suggested this option makes it dead quiet inside the CT4.

I have to go for now, but will respond/have more questions soon
I'm sure it makes a difference, but as Dave said, I think the Taycan is a much quieter vehicle on its own so that alone may be enough, and so for some it becomes more difficult to tell the difference. Also at some point in chasing noise, it may start to come more from tire/road noise than wind or external sounds

Sponsored

OP
OP

ummagawd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
how do I option ALK and ACC without checking off Innodrive?

I added the delivery experience and the massage seats, thank you for planting that in my head Dave

I originally didn't option out full leather for the simple fact that I already think the base interior of the Taycan is lightyears better than my model 3 lol. But I am considering it (and the idea of doing the wood along with the neodyme... I just don't know if the wood goes with the chalk paint exterior).

Question about the headlights... is PDLS worth it?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
hmmm - ACC & ALK - check one on the configurator and it should kick you out to turn off Innodrive and stuff

the delivery experience is truly awesome - if possible book a 2nd experience while you're there - you'll need to book a bit ahead of time cause they fill up - some driving experience is included with the delivery - but while you're there you could say "flog a GT3" & your Taycan - also the restaurant is very very good - when they call to schedule you're delivery experience inquire about openings for one of the other experiences…my wife and I had a blast when we picked up her '21 Cayenne at PECLA - truly an awesome day - she loved it and so did I.

PDLS can probably be skipped, but in for a penny in for a pound…Porsche doesn't offer crappy options, just pricey ones, none of them make the car worse ;-)

PNWEV

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, Tesla Model 3, Mercedes 3500XD
Country flag
Hi all

I've been doing my research and have come to a point where I need to ask the community for advice and info, as I'm highly considering a CT4 for my next car.

I currently own a Tesla model 3 performance on some coil-overs and. 265's all around. I use my car as my daily driver. About 80% of my commute is a 6 mile drive to my shop. The other 20% could be a longer drive into downtown Los Angeles, a couple hundred miles out into the deserts of California, or drive all the way up north to San Francisco.

My first question - how's the public charging situation? I work in production, and sometimes this requires me to be able to charge out in some remote places in Ridgecrest, Lone Pine, Palmdale (for those familiar with California). This has proven to be just fine with the Tesla supercharging network, but my research has been conflicting about Electrify America. Some saying there's simply not enough, or that they're unreliable. Has anyone have public charging experience in the more remote places of California? Does the car do a pretty accurate job about routing your trip to chargers? Do I need the Porsche Intelligent Range manager option to have this?

2nd question - because of how often I take long drives, I absolutely LOVE my autopilot. While I don't expect Porsche's solution to be as good, I just want to know if it's worth spec'ing this option. And just to be sure, I'm looking at active lane keeping and active cruise control (ALK and ACC), right? I don't need innodrive?

3rd - Keyless entry - I'm spoiled with Tesla's phone/bluetooth as a key feature. I LOVE not carrying any keys. After reading through Porsche Connect website, I'm still unclear if this is a feature lol.

4 - PCM issues - I'm assuming this is the car's main entertainment console, my interface to the internet entertainment world (CarPlay). I'm reading about issues with this, is this more of a rare/isolated issue affecting fewer cars? Again, I work in production and I spend a lot of time in my car at a job waiting. Watching Netflix in my Tesla has been a saving grace. I know I won't be able to do that in the Taycan, but I'll be happy if I can watch things on my phone and have the sound pipe through the car.

5 - Performance - I can't justify the extra cost in having power closer to what my Performance model 3 has, and thus why I'm spec'ing a CT4. My question is, all I really care about is passing performance. The ability to pull out into traffic in situations where no one really wants to slow down for you (gotta love LA people sometimes). Will I be happy here?

Feedback on my configuration would be appreciated (am I missing anything? or is there something I don't need, or can I save money anywhere?)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNKZ4WK2

I plan to put my own aftermarket wheels on

thanks all
Based on the questions you are asking, I would recommend you stick with Tesla. My wife drives a model 3 and would have the same concerns. Tesla has the "EV" part of the equation nailed but doesn't build a driver car. Rather than an EV, I wanted a sports car that happened to be electric. I wanted to drive it like I stole it and I wanted it to handle like a Porsche. I love my 4S and wouldn't trade it for a Tesla. My wife won't drive it BC she loves her model 3. Perfect. It only took 23 years of marriage to hit this sweet spot.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
It sounds like I’d still have plenty of passing power in a CT4, so that’s great news. And the fact I’d get to go off-road is huge because again, my job sometimes takes me off paved roads… something I’ve had to do and get stuck in my model 3.

Thanks for the feedback on the build, I figured I’d spend the money on making it look (inside and out) the way I want if I can’t have the power of say a 4s or turbo.
As one who doesn't own a Taycan yet, I've driven four of the Taycan's six "drivetrains": RWD, CT4, 4S, Turbo S (the latter two multiple times, and a long drive with the RWD). To me, they are all more than sufficient for daily use in terms of acceleration -- onto expressways, passing on two-lane roads, etc. There's a difference from the Turbo S to the least-powered Taycans, yes, but for most people it frankly doesn't matter and isn't worth the extra expense (i.e., 0-60 mph in 3 vs. 4-5 seconds doesn't make that much difference). I am also planning to get a CT4 for the extra ground clearance (for driveway dips as well as going off-pavement).

Last edited:

DocMart3n

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Stay with your model 3 is my advice...

Porsche drivers like to drive.
Tesla drivers like to be driven.

Porsche drivers like style, elegance and engineering.

The more electrified Hondas are driving around the better I feel in my Taycan. What fun overtaking a model 3 with the sports sound on...

If however you decide to go for a Taycan, don't worry about the electronic upgrades, enjoy the raw driving experience. Change your mind start fresh and never look back.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
OP
OP

ummagawd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The very thing that I love about my model 3 is why I also have an itch for something else.
Can’t have it all I guess!

Minus exotics and off-road oriented vehicles, I think I’ve owned it all and have learned what I like out of different platforms. With the model 3, I learned what I value out of an EV.

what’s been mentioned so far has provided me a lot of insight and managed my expectations. And yes, I still want one.

Based on the questions you are asking, I would recommend you stick with Tesla. My wife drives a model 3 and would have the same concerns. Tesla has the "EV" part of the equation nailed but doesn't build a driver car. Rather than an EV, I wanted a sports car that happened to be electric. I wanted to drive it like I stole it and I wanted it to handle like a Porsche. I love my 4S and wouldn't trade it for a Tesla. My wife won't drive it BC she loves her model 3. Perfect. It only took 23 years of marriage to hit this sweet spot.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
3. Had a Model S so it wasn't keyless. I don't get the hype with the keycard, but can't comment with experience about this.
Had a Model 3 as well. I loved not having to use a key or anything else to use the car. Walk up: car unlocks. Get in and drive. Get out and walk away: car shuts down and locks. Phone-as-key is great.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I love my 4S and wouldn't trade it for a Tesla. My wife won't drive it BC she loves her model 3. Perfect. It only took 23 years of marriage to hit this sweet spot.
We are a two-EV family also. Wife loves her Model 3, I love my Taycan.

OP
OP

ummagawd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
For those that have had a model 3, is the CT4 in sport+ mode pretty close?

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
no comparison. Sports+ wins, period. I love both my X and 3, but after driving the 4S CT for a week, I can't get back into the Tesla and feel good. Just shakes my head and move my sofa on wheels to another parking spot. The trick is drive the Tesla for longer to shake the Porsche handling feeling out of you, then you're good. But now, you have to go drive the Porsche again. my dilemma.

-ThinkMac-

P.S. - I think NORMAL mode even best the Tesla.

OP
OP

ummagawd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Okay, took the forum's advice on a couple of things and spec'd my build differently. Mainly got rid of the smaller details. Also learned that getting the premium package gets me PDLS, LCA, ambient lighting, ionizer for only an additional $1000 (all things I didn't originally spec). So that's a plus.

I traded chalk paint for the standard white in order to spec the red leather interior, somehow still had budget for the 21" CT wheels, and I think I'm happy so far.

One thing I still could not spec out is ACC and ALK w/OUT innodrive. I tried checking both and neither gives me the option. It's either ACC only, or innodrive. Anyone have any thoughts?

Lastly, anyone get the sport chrono package and feel like pushing the screen buttons to change modes would have sufficed (in which case I'll spec the thermally insulated glass).

And Dave, totally doing the PECLA option!

New build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN5UCHS4

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Okay, took the forum's advice on a couple of things and spec'd my build differently. Mainly got rid of the smaller details. Also learned that getting the premium package gets me PDLS, LCA, ambient lighting, ionizer for only an additional $1000 (all things I didn't originally spec). So that's a plus.

I traded chalk paint for the standard white in order to spec the red leather interior, somehow still had budget for the 21" CT wheels, and I think I'm happy so far.

One thing I still could not spec out is ACC and ALK w/OUT innodrive. I tried checking both and neither gives me the option. It's either ACC only, or innodrive. Anyone have any thoughts?

Lastly, anyone get the sport chrono package and feel like pushing the screen buttons to change modes would have sufficed (in which case I'll spec the thermally insulated glass).

And Dave, totally doing the PECLA option!

New build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN5UCHS4
I have a Panamera without the dials to switch modes/adjust the suspension height. It is a pain to do it from the screen. I would not recommend skipping it. I don’t feel the need to switch modes often but I do adjust the height often. Needless to say there is a dial coming on my new Taycan steering wheel.
Sponsored