High speed charging spotted on facelift Taycan

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag

316kw peak and 301kw at 51%! Also interesting to note the 2 photos suggest a 100+kwh battery, 7% increase equating to 8kwh, obviously there are some cooling losses from that but not much.

Wonder if there'll be an OTA update for those speeds? A battery upgrade scheme would be great too but I can't see that happening.
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
A larger battery suggests that Porsche is still coming up the learning curve. The real breakthrough will be when a new/updated model has a smaller battery. This would mean that they have broken through another weight/performance/efficiency barrier.

I am always generally encouraged by Porsche innovation. Sending them positive vibes on their endeavors…

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

316kw peak and 301kw at 51%! Also interesting to note the 2 photos suggest a 100+kwh battery, 7% increase equating to 8kwh, obviously there are some cooling losses from that but not much.

Wonder if there'll be an OTA update for those speeds? A battery upgrade scheme would be great too but I can't see that happening.
I love this _IF TRUE_ - I will still hold out and speculate that max charging speeds on test mules may not be indicative of Production charging speeds

the major impact of charging speed on LiON batteries is battery longevity - the charging speed limits (taper curve) are enforced by software - not chemistry/physics - if you don't care how long the battery lasts you can charge it at most any speed (fact)…

One possible explanation is that Porsche has grown more sophisticated in their EV development and now realize they don't have a warranty on their test mule's batteries - and the improvement in test cycle time due to lower charging times is worth the trade off vs. the increased wear/tear on the test mule batteries…across the 100's of thousand of miles of testing for each test mule - charge session savings could be signficant - all of those hours are "billed" time and R&D costs…trading the cost of batteries vs. labor is easy an easy metric to calcluate.

I'm not saying it's impossible that we're seeing production behaviors - but I am dubious - there is no reason for Porsche to abide by the warranty driven taper curves of the production batteries on test mules trying to put miles on the odometer as quickly as possible.

we could be seeing an improved charge speed

or…

we could be seeing test-only software settings since porsche doesn't care how long their test mule batteries last…

as to teh 100 kWh capacity - I would be excited by that - but also dubious - we know Taycan has a 94.3 kWh battery (dangerously close to 100 kWh) and we also know usable capacity is 83.4 kWh (a generous buffer for battery health and longevity) - we also know Porsche realized this buffer was too conservative and they plan to have less buffer in future EV's - this change in capacity could be simply an adjustment in the battery "hold back" software settings for overall capacity

now once again - we're in the same situation - the hold back is for lonevity/age manaagement - again this is not a concern on test mules - only production vehicles with a 8 year/100,000 mile warranty

is this greater capacity a "test mule thing" or a "production" thing? because at the end of the day it's just a software setting - not a physical limit - so Porsche might relax these settings for their own testing purposes and it may not be indicative of commercial/consumer/product settings…I highly doubt Porsche cares about the longevity of their test mule batteries - so burn them up as fast as necessary to meet the development schedule…there is no reason to hold back on the batteries capacities (charge rate or total capacity) on a test mule.

Last edited:

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Respectfully, this is all bullshit. I have owned my Taycan for over 2.5 years and never found a charger that would deliver more than 163kwh despite the advertised delivery of Up to 350 kWh. I am so done with this.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
🥱
Wake me up when we break 1 MW continuous.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Don't know when, as it is ubiquitous to EA charging stations indicating "Up to 350kWh" placarded on their f__king units. You must be living under a rock.
I think you meant just the charger rating and I misunderstood. Still, a lot factors that affect that including the state of your car and available power to the station.

Honestly, not a huge difference in time for 163kW and the Taycan max. Bigger difference in fastest Taycan charging and ICE refill time. I would think anyone that concerned with the rate and time wouldn’t be bothering with EV public charging in the first place.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the advertised maximum charge rate for a Taycan is 270 kW - I have achieved 268 kW on a number of occassions - but most of the time have to settle for less than 170 kW given the sorry state of EA's charging sites.

sounds like someone's upset with the fine print.

OP
OP
Poshfpg

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
Respectfully, this is all bullshit. I have owned my Taycan for over 2.5 years and never found a charger that would deliver more than 163kwh despite the advertised delivery of Up to 350 kWh. I am so done with this.
Think your problem is with EA not the Taycan. Any road trip I do I get 240-250 on plug in and it gets to 260+ in a minute up to 50%. This is at Ionity, Fastned, Engie and Porsche dealers across UK, Ireland, France and Italy. Stepping up to 315 and 300 over 50% would be a significant advance in terms of long road trips.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Sounds like you the chargers you visit are slow. Here is my TTCT charging at a fully working 350KW EA charger.

Porsche Taycan High speed charging spotted on facelift Taycan 1696496266363

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Think your problem is with EA not the Taycan. Any road trip I do I get 240-250 on plug in and it gets to 260+ in a minute up to 50%. This is at Ionity, Fastned, Engie and Porsche dealers across UK, Ireland, France and Italy. Stepping up to 315 and 300 over 50% would be a significant advance in terms of long road trips.
My problem is not with Taycan, it is with the charging infrastructure. I find it insulting that Porsche's prior parent company VW could care less about providing an infrastructure that works or properly reports status. I have wasted more kW driving to what are purported to be working EA stations only to find that they do not represent the actual working or usage status.
Say what you want about Musk, but he got it right from the beginning. I, like many of my North American friends, have to be very young or have time on their hands to road trip anything but a Tesla. Listen to me, no sour grapes here - this is a third car for me - but to spend 100k plus and not be able to reliably road trip a car without dying of old age looking for or waiting for a working station, just sucks, plain and simple.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Porsche Taycan High speed charging spotted on facelift Taycan IMG_9734
My problem is not with Taycan, it is with the charging infrastructure. I find it insulting that Porsche's prior parent company VW could care less about providing an infrastructure that works or properly reports status. I have wasted more kW driving to what are purported to be working EA stations only to find that they do not represent the actual working or usage status.
Say what you want about Musk, but he got it right from the beginning. I, like many of my North American friends, have to be very young or have time on their hands to road trip anything but a Tesla. Listen to me, no sour grapes here - this is a third car for me - but to spend 100k plus and not be able to reliably road trip a car without dying of old age looking for or waiting for a working station, just sucks, plain and simple.
Lol, ok. Back to Tesla you go, then?

These are my trips to Laguna Seca and back: ~15hrs, 930mi, ~60mph, 2.1mi/kWh. Total driving time was closer to 21-22hrs.

It was basically stints of 1.5hrs of driving followed by 30min charging sessions - a lot of them. I’d have liked a bit better than that, but then again, I wouldn’t have taken this trip if I had a different car. I’m curious what a Tesla would have done (time, efficiency and speed), but I doubt it’d be more than 30% better, so 7hrs? 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ll take that trade off any day.

It’s becoming clearer to me EVing is not for everyone - and won’t be for a long time. Especially if you got a gripe with the acquisition price.

doh, forgot the attachment

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
IMG_9734.png

Lol, ok. Back to Tesla you go, then?

These are my trips to Laguna Seca and back: ~15hrs, 930mi, ~60mph, 2.1mi/kWh. Total driving time was closer to 21-22hrs.

It was basically stints of 1.5hrs of driving followed by 30min charging sessions - a lot of them. I’d have liked a bit better than that, but then again, I wouldn’t have taken this trip if I had a different car. I’m curious what a Tesla would have done (time, efficiency and speed), but I doubt it’d be more than 30% better, so 7hrs? 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’ll take that trade off any day.

It’s becoming clearer to me EVing is not for everyone - and won’t be for a long time. Especially if you got a gripe with the acquisition price.

doh, forgot the attachment
this is what a Tesla would do - same trip - I live only 40 min from Laguna Seca - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...er-road-trip’s-his-daughter’s-model-y….16745/

the Model Y was good for about 210-240 miles driving and then a 40 min charging stop at supercharger - I find similar distance for my Taycan Turbo on the same trip - but stops when EA is working tend to top out at 30 min because Taycan charges faster (better taper curve) than Tesla.

the _ONLY_ problem with Taycan for road tripping _IS_ the charing network - the car is magnificent - better/faster than Tesla for fast charging stops - the vehicle is world class - the charging network is a joke and let's down the product - few if any would object to road tripping a Taycan with a functional/reliable charging network - at the moment that's Tesla's only advantage.

give me a reliable/functional/operational 150-175 kW - and I'll wait the extra 6 minutes of charging time for 175 kW vs. 270 kW charging speed - but please please please don't take 3-12 minute of fussing around to just activate the charging session…

the car is not the problem - it's the North American CCS1 network infrastructure - and in particular VW's EA network which so far I believe can be characterized as "poorly done with room for improvement".

Last edited:

Sace

First Name
Anders
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Tourismo
Country flag
If the battery is in fact bigger then that is probably why the charge speed has increased - Not something they would be able to roll out to existing cars.
Sponsored