NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So the cord (in an enclosure) is basically a nice big resistive heating element in a confined space with another heat-producing and heat sensitive device (PMCC). Sounds like a great idea. Not to mention the wasted $ for that heat. I've been charging at 32A and I don't have the enclosure so haven't had any overheating issues.
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
So the cord (in an enclosure) is basically a nice big resistive heating element in a confined space with another heat-producing and heat sensitive device (PMCC). Sounds like a great idea. Not to mention the wasted $ for that heat. I've been charging at 32A and I don't have the enclosure so haven't had any overheating issues.
That's the issue - the box. I just mounted my charger on the wall with the supplied mount and called it done. Looks fine and doesn't overheat even in a garage in south Florida in the summer.

Techwizard100

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ordered a 25 foot cable with my Porsche charger for my Taycan. Charger
getting extremely hot .
A warning about overheating appeared on the screen.
Also- having problems connecting car to charger.
Electrician who installed charging station is coming to my house this week.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks
Here is how I solved my PMCC overheating issue.

First I had to put a fan in the front part of the car to blow a steady stream of air into the intake vent on the passenger side. If you haven’t noticed this is where the fan sucks air in to cool the battery when it needs cooling during charging. By putting a fan here I help the internal car fan move much more air and keep the battery cooler.

Second, I lowered the charger to max out at 30Amps.
That seemed to do the trick.

Porsche Taycan Home charger (Porsche) over heating when charging my Taycan 2AC54882-802D-4ADE-9D56-E2FBAECCF2D5

Porsche Taycan Home charger (Porsche) over heating when charging my Taycan 2F3A3FF2-0174-4025-9BEE-9B3343C6175F

Porsche Taycan Home charger (Porsche) over heating when charging my Taycan 5F6A6C42-1167-43C4-92EC-C87BEA49A36A

Porsche Taycan Home charger (Porsche) over heating when charging my Taycan F2637B80-A1B8-4C9A-8E1B-14D47A60EC86

BTN1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S & 2020 911 Turbo S
Country flag
Anyone know where to buy this fan or have link. Seems perfect size and if rechargeable battery...

5 - Add small cooling fan, airflow can reduce temps significantly.

PMC cooling fan.jpg

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Anyone know where to buy this fan or have link. Seems perfect size and if rechargeable battery...
Not sure what fan you are referring to but a small computer fan something like this Fan probably would do the trick along w/a spring wound count-down timer (8 hr or whatever)......course you'd need to cut holes for both the fan and exhaust.
Like I need another project :headbang:.

Dweezel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This has been well discussed. Unfortunately Porsche thinks it’s just fine (my rubber plug actually partially melted pictures other forum). Faulty design and overpriced product that no doubt will change after us guinea pigs. Easiest solution dial down to 32A.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I ordered a 25 foot cable with my Porsche charger for my Taycan. Charger
getting extremely hot .
A warning about overheating appeared on the screen.
Also- having problems connecting car to charger.
Electrician who installed charging station is coming to my house this week.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks
The same thing happened to me earlier this summer. Charger changed from green to red warning me about overheating.

Ironically, I had a water leak in the house that got a carpet wet. Went to Lowes and purchased a fan designed to move air and dry out the carpet - $100.00. Now that I have dried the carpet what am I going to use this fan for..............??? I laid the fan in its back so the air flow went up and put it underneath the charger. My garage faces west..........in Texas. No more overheating warnings. I charged the car earlier this week and after 5 hours of charging, all of the electric cords are cool, the charger is cool, and so am I!!!?. It's just one of those ironic things that happen to us. Same tool to dry the carpet can be used to cool the charger.
Sponsored