How are we pronouncing Taycan ?

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I guess you can pronounce Porsche like Porsh just like you can pronounce Nike as “N - eye -k” as some poor souls still do. But if being wrong is less pretentious I’ll stick with being pretentious. If you drive a Porsche, I think the pretense is already assumed anyway :)
Sponsored

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don’t understand why English speaking people feel obligated to pronounce Taycan or Porsche as the Germans do. Do you say Munich or Munchen? Bratwurst or Bratvurst..:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I don’t understand why English speaking people feel obligated to pronounce Taycan or Porsche as the Germans do.
No obligation, just attempting to show respect for foreign names- at least when they apply to people. That carries over to companies named after people. Admittedly, probably more times than not, names become unintentionally Anglicised, sometimes beyond the recognition of the original person.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
That's how hear it pronounced by Germans, which makes it definitive for me. But as a British Northener, I can't bring myself to use the long "ah", so I say "Tie Can". That said, with its Turkish origin, I think it might be pronounced "Tie Chahn".
That doesn't really matter though, when even some Porsche sales advisors say "Porsh". I blame the 1980's.

Hurry up and build me a car Porsche, all this waiting is bad for me- I should not be spending my time reviving old threads on internet forums.
Porsche Taycan How are we pronouncing Taycan ? download
Sponsored