I have the 22kW AC charger installed anyways!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'm born and bred a Belfast boy!

Taycan battery is an 800V system.

By default Taycan can charge at 50kW with pre-existing onboard DC charger.

150kW DC option is for 400V chargers and converts the voltage to 800V to charge the battery. No brainer to tick the box for the small cost.

Taycan maximum charge is 270kW 800V from a 350kW charger (if you can find one).

Not heard of 960V but not relevant in light of the above.

AC charging is slow (needs to convert to DC so that the battery can take the charge) but clearly if you need to charge whilst out and about during the day then 22kW option would make a lot of sense economics aside.

If you option the PMCC charger (22kW capable on 3 phase supply otherwise 7.4kW on a single phase supply) in place of PMC Plus (11 kW max I think but again needs 3 phase to achieve it otherwise limited to 7.4kW) then that may give you more home charging options if you have or install a 3 phase supply. In general, standard domestic single phase supply for overnight home charging is more than adequate (7.4kW) and will comfortably charge from 40% to the recommended 85% overnight and off peak.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Also, download ZapMap and set the filters for appropriate charges. There are more 50kW chargers than you perhaps realise.

Porsche Taycan I have the 22kW AC charger installed anyways! Screenshot_20210301-165918

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Quick update.

My 22kW AC charger is going to need replacing – part on order – should happen next week. This is going to be subject to a campaign – so seems like it may be a wider issue.

Porsche's first suggestion was to update the car's software to latest (car is two weeks old) so that sounds like I may have gotten the rumoured "big software" update.

Unfortunately I never took a screenshot of the software versions screen. How could I tell?

I am going to collect car now until part is in – and use DC charging for rest of the week at my Porsche Centre.

Ireland is in a strict lockdown – limited to 5km from ones home – so I'm actually glad that these teething issues are now where they are not impacting me that much.

My Porsche Centre has been great as always and in particular always very prompt and detailed updates.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Quick update.

My 22kW AC charger is going to need replacing – part on order – should happen next week. This is going to be subject to a campaign – so seems like it may be a wider issue.

Porsche's first suggestion was to update the car's software to latest (car is two weeks old) so that sounds like I may have gotten the rumoured "big software" update.

Unfortunately I never took a screenshot of the software versions screen. How could I tell?

I am going to collect car now until part is in – and use DC charging for rest of the week at my Porsche Centre.

Ireland is in a strict lockdown – limited to 5km from ones home – so I'm actually glad that these teething issues are now where they are not impacting me that much.

My Porsche Centre has been great as always and in particular always very prompt and detailed updates.
Good service indeed from the dealer but honestly shoddy quality from Porsche in the first instance. This option has been long coming and now that they are finally shipping, faults are surfacing within days of ownership. This should not happen in this day and age. 22 kW AC chargers are not new tech if we are honest.

It would be good to know if the charger you used potentially was at fault (should not matter) as who's to say it won't happen again once repaired / replaced?

Sounds like Porsche / VW Group are sourcing components which haven't been robustly tested and happy to repair in the field at the expense of consumer inconvenience and confidence.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Thanks for that. I live in Northern Ireland which has one of the lowest concentration of charging stations in the UK...
But then the range of your new Taycan should be enough to get anywhere in NI, right?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It would be good to know if the charger you used potentially was at fault (should not matter) as who's to say it won't happen again once repaired / replaced?
I can say that the charger was one of those AC units that has 2 plugs and one of the plugs was out of order. So the charger I guess wasn't fully healthy but it did supply me with power for around 1.5 hrs with no issue and at the full 22 kW.

I don't think it was the charger and other owners have experienced the same failures.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like Porsche / VW Group are sourcing components which haven't been robustly tested and happy to repair in the field at the expense of consumer inconvenience and confidence.
So everything I write here is guessing and conjecture:

I've a hunch that its a software issue that can cause the charger to go bad. What makes me think this is that Porsche Germany's first suggestion to my Porsche Centre was to update car with latest software to see if unit would come back to life. But it didn't and they were quick to move onto replacement hardware.

I've a hunch that the campaign may not be replacing h/w but perhaps getting latest software updated. My Porsche Centre said the software update yesterday took six hours on my car – so that doesn't feel very OTA capable!

My hunch is folks with 22kW chargers will be encouraged in for service shortly for a long running software update and hopefully no charger replacements required if its still working okay.

/End of total guesses

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So everything I write here is guessing and conjecture:

I've a hunch that its a software issue that can cause the charger to go bad. What makes me think this is that Porsche Germany's first suggestion to my Porsche Centre was to update car with latest software to see if unit would come back to life. But it didn't and they were quick to move onto replacement hardware.

I've a hunch that the campaign may not be replacing h/w but perhaps getting latest software updated. My Porsche Centre said the software update yesterday took six hours on my car – so that doesn't feel very OTA capable!

My hunch is folks with 22kW chargers will be encouraged in for service shortly for a long running software update and hopefully no charger replacements required if its still working okay.

/End of total guesses
Seems like a well considered guesstimate.

6hrs - ouch, more like a full rebuild and an expensive one at that for Porsche!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Are there hardware updates as well or is it just a hardware replacement along with software updates?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are there hardware updates as well or is it just a hardware replacement along with software updates?
I am unsure but my Porsche Centre said there was a lot of new charging hardware on order.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Quick update: No update.

A month after the charger failed and I still can't AC charge my car. Car six weeks old. Frustrating.
That’s crazy. Are you considering forcing a return? Has Porsche offered you any financial consideration?