OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I'm just disappointed as this network held a lot of promise - but really appears to have stalled in the UK in terms of expansion and build rate.

One new station in the UK in the last 2 years is pretty piss poor.
Agree - this is supposed be the networ sponsored by German manifacturers.
Sponsored

4EVer

First Name
Viv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, iD3 Pro S, E-Up!
Country flag
I'm just disappointed as this network held a lot of promise - but really appears to have stalled in the UK in terms of expansion and build rate.

One new station in the UK in the last 2 years is pretty piss poor.
Simply not true! When I took delivery of my car in March ‘21 there were 10 Ionity hubs in the UK. Now there are 18 with 2 more being built and due to open shortly. So that’ll be a 100% increase in a little over two years.

After 18 months and 15k miles I’ve almost exclusively used Ionity and only ever had to wait once to get onto a stall, and that was only for 5 minutes. When I went to the Le Mans 24 in June I also was able to get there using only Ionity hubs (except for in Le Mans where I used the Porsche Experience Centre chargers) and again had no problems. And all for 30p per kWh using my Porsche card. What’s not to like?

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Simply not true! When I took delivery of my car in March ‘21 there were 10 Ionity hubs in the UK. Now there are 18 with 2 more being built and due to open shortly. So that’ll be a 100% increase in a little over two years.

After 18 months and 15k miles I’ve almost exclusively used Ionity and only ever had to wait once to get onto a stall, and that was only for 5 minutes. When I went to the Le Mans 24 in June I also was able to get there using only Ionity hubs (except for in Le Mans where I used the Porsche Experience Centre chargers) and again had no problems. And all for 30p per kWh using my Porsche card. What’s not to like?
Had another look at the Ionity stations /opening dates, as follows:

Maidstone: 16 May 2019 (4)
Milton Keynes: 24 June 2019 (4)
Gretna Green: 25 August 2019 (4)

Leeds, Skelton: 30 March 2020 (6)
Cambridge: 7 June 2020 (6)
Peterborough: 14 June 2020 (6)
Perth: 4 July 2020 (4)
Blackburn: 10 July 2020 (6)
Baldock: 20 July 2020 (6)
Cobham: 20 August 2020 (6)
Cullompton: 26 August 2020 (6)
Chippenham: 23 December 2020 (4)
Channel Gateway: 31 December 2020 (4)

Beaconsfield: 17 March 2021 (4)
Linnet Court: 1 June 2021 (4)
Glasgow: 29 October 2021 (6)
Cringleford: 30 October 2021 (6)

Stafford: 3 June 2022 (6)

A total of 18 stations and 98 units. That demonstrates just how much their rollout has slowed in the last 12-18 months.

In comparison for 350 kW capable stations, Gridserve/Moto have opened 8 stations so far in the last 5 months, for a total of 77 units. By the end of the year they will have more 350 kW capabler units than Ionity have opened since 2019...

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I think the thing to remember is that IONITY is building out in phases depending on their funding rounds. With the initial plan to open 400 stations and approximately 1,500 charging stalls.

They have delivered what they said they would: https://ionity.ev-info.eu

Recently they've raised an additional €700m funding from BlackRock to bring that up to 1,000 locations and 7,000 charging stalls.

What's good about this from my perspective is that they have been good at delivering on their plans so we (as EV drivers) can be reasonably confident they'll continue to do so.

This funding was also raised when Tesla opening up its charging network was a known factor – meaning the IONITY business case has factored that competition in.

More info at www.ionity2025.eu

Last edited:

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
2x new Ionity sites are under construction in Carlisle and Magor. Carlisle one will be helpful as the 4x stalls at Gretna are often busy now.

Agree the roll out feels really slow....

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
I think the thing to remember is that IONITY is building out in phases depending on their funding rounds. With the initial plan to open 400 stations and approximately 1,500 charging stalls.

They have delivered what they said they would: https://ionity.ev-info.eu

Recently they've raised an additional €700m funding from BlackRock to bring that up to 1,000 locations and 7,000 charging stalls.

What's good about this from my perspective is that they have been good at delivering on their plans so we (as EV drivers) can be reasonably confident they'll continue to do so.

This funding was also raised when Tesla opening up its charging network was a known factor – meaning the IONITY business case has factored that competition in.

More info at www.ionity2025.eu
That is of course spread across 25+ countries.

Given that they received €400M from the EU previously - “our” share of that eventuated in roughly 1/15th in terms of stalls and roughly 1/20th of the total sites - of course now EU funding wouldn’t apply to any builds here.

Gridserve funding I find far more relevant and immediate to the UK.

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
I think it depends on where you live. I live in the NE of England where there are virtually no Ionity chargers anywhere in the region. Nearest is right up in Alnwick on the Northumberland coast for some bizarre reason?! On those rare occasions I'll drive to the south I may use one.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Here, the 350kW charger right around the corner splits the charge to 2x175 kW max as in master/slave when another car plugs in.
Not according to IONITY...

"IONITY makes charging simple and reliable. The charging capacity at our locations is not defined by local demand and sharing power between chargers. Each charger at our stations provides full power, all the time – a whopping 350 kW. We don’t brag about it, but it's there."

weareonit

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Not according to IONITY...

"IONITY makes charging simple and reliable. The charging capacity at our locations is not defined by local demand and sharing power between chargers. Each charger at our stations provides full power, all the time – a whopping 350 kW. We don’t brag about it, but it's there."

weareonit
Maybe they define a charger as a single station which could have two plugs and they mean that station has a full 350kW and doesn’t load share with another adjacent station, but that statement may not preclude it from load charging between two cables connected to it. Just a thought.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe they define a charger as a single station which could have two plugs and they mean that station has a full 350kW and doesn’t load share with another adjacent station, but that statement may not preclude it from load charging between two cables connected to it. Just a thought.
I've never seen a 350kW IONITY station with more than one cable from it. It tends to be one cable for each charging stall.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I've never seen a 350kW IONITY station with more than one cable from it. It tends to be one cable for each charging stall.
Oh, I see. Never mind then. Dee’s description led me to believe there was more than one cable, but I guess I just misunderstood.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
These are the two main types of charger designs IONITY currently use:

Porsche Taycan IONITY Chargers.JPG

And an older design:

Porsche Taycan IONITY tritium-fast-chargers-at-ionity-station

In USA (and Canada?) the EA chargers seem to have two cables attached to each. Seeing as only one can be used at a time – this seems like a confusing design choice to me.

I can only imagine people parking up on the other side of an in-use charger and assuming they can use the "unused" cable of an already in use charging stall.

Porsche Taycan IONITY 202101-Electrify-america-charging-station-dcfc-fast-charger-ojai-california-ea-ev-charger-KYLE

EA say its to increase flexibility of where charging ports on cars are – but both cable seem so close together – I can't see how it could improve things that much.

That said – I've never seen or used one!

Tim123

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If a Ionity Charger is faulty and can not deliver a certain charging speed the sessions won´t be charged. That seems to be the case in Gnashers 1st charging attempt.

OP
OP
Gnasher

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
That is of course spread across 25+ countries.

Given that they received €400M from the EU previously - “our” share of that eventuated in roughly 1/15th in terms of stalls and roughly 1/20th of the total sites - of course now EU funding wouldn’t apply to any builds here.

Gridserve funding I find far more relevant and immediate to the UK.
If a Ionity Charger is faulty and can not deliver a certain charging speed the sessions won´t be charged. That seems to be the case in Gnashers 1st charging attempt.
Maybe that’s the case - I’m guessing that they would have a minimum of 100kw for this then.
Sponsored