Joy and headache of charging in warmer weather

kailifish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
i live in pretty warm weather as well (can get up to 30C outside), my parking is located in B3 which is around 28C. Everytime i charge with the Porsche enclosure closed it overheats. So I have been charging with the lid open. Makes me regret optioning the PMCC and the box....
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Of course ditching enclosure and the $460 that spent is option, but not totally sure if anyone getting this issue in hot climate even out of enclosure (I did not) but was not as hot ambient temperature. Also a looks thing.

Hole alignment is different so would have to patch and paint holes in wall as well. That is why looking for (maybe?) other fix.
Get rid of the plug in the installation?

Also, if the problem is persistent, record it, and bring the charger back to the PC to get a replacement.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
i live in pretty warm weather as well (can get up to 30C outside), my parking is located in B3 which is around 28C. Everytime i charge with the Porsche enclosure closed it overheats. So I have been charging with the lid open. Makes me regret optioning the PMCC and the box....
Use 11kW?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I think I am ultimately going to use a holesaw and create a hole in the bottom and top. In theory cooler air should flow through bottom hole, over heated areas, and exit above without use of fans. Just deciding whether to “ruin” my useless box.
That would be an option, but not sure, if it is enough to solve the problem.

The pictures are very interesting, and I still wonder, if the problem is the socket/plug connection, which produces the heat.

I don't have the box and my charger is directly connected to the fuse box. There is no plug in between. I know, this takes the M (as in mobile) out of the product, but could fix the problem...

Dweezel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That would be an option, but not sure, if it is enough to solve the problem.

The pictures are very interesting, and I still wonder, if the problem is the socket/plug connection, which produces the heat.

I don't have the box and my charger is directly connected to the fuse box. There is no plug in between. I know, this takes the M (as in mobile) out of the product, but could fix the problem...
The interesting thing is I have a very heavy duty charger extension from the wall receptacle to the pigtail plug. The heavy duty extension (EV approved) to wall receptacle generates little heat. The pigtail plug and short cord whether plugged direct to wall receptacle or extension receptacle gets super hot. It certainly eliminates everything but that short pigtail cord and plug as cause. The label says 16 Amps and is pulling 40 Amps. Maybe at 240v that is rated at 32 Amps? I removed my label so not sure. It certainly gets way too hot, and in enclosure in hot ambient temperature definitely an issue for many.

I dialed down to 32 Amps, and will see next charge if with box closed still overheats.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The interesting thing is I have a very heavy duty charger extension from the wall receptacle to the pigtail plug. The heavy duty extension (EV approved) to wall receptacle generates little heat. The pigtail plug and short cord whether plugged direct to wall receptacle or extension receptacle gets super hot. It certainly eliminates everything but that short pigtail cord and plug as cause. The label says 16 Amps and is pulling 40 Amps. Maybe at 240v that is rated at 32 Amps? I removed my label so not sure. It certainly gets way too hot, and in enclosure in hot ambient temperature definitely an issue for many.

I dialed down to 32 Amps, and will see next charge if with box closed still overheats.
Correct!

The label (as per Porsche) is wrong.

We still don't know exactly where the heat comes from, the cable, plug, charger... Waiting for the first brave user, to cut the plug of the pigtail cord and hook it straight into a fuse box... My charger is installed that way, but I use 3 phase 11kW, no heat...

Last edited:

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
For me the heat has helped, never reached charging speeds over 150 kw and today got to 200 kw. It was 90 degrees out, was the only variable. Using the same charger at all SOC. Was finally glad to see that.

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
Today, the New Jersey temperatures reached the low 80's (in F, which is high 20's in C). I charged my car today and enjoyed the range-boost provided by warmer weather (see first picture): 263 miles at 80% SoC which translates in 329 miles (529 km) at 100%. Unfortunately, the warmer weather also came at the cost (see second picture) of an overheated PMCC charger. This charger is inside the garage in the shade, operating at 40A on a 50A breaker (one of two on a 100A circuit). It is mounted in the Porsche box. Maybe I should start opening the lid while charging? Anyone else struggling with this issue? Let's see whether the warning goes away on its own by tomorrow morning.
Had same exact issue this week. I have a very similar set-up to yours and never had an issue up to now, after 1 full year of ownership. TX weather here has been in the mid-90's Fahrenheit. Good suggestion on opening the lid. Can't hurt to try.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Had same exact issue this week. I have a very similar set-up to yours and never had an issue up to now, after 1 full year of ownership. TX weather here has been in the mid-90's Fahrenheit. Good suggestion on opening the lid. Can't hurt to try.
Since keeping the lid open while charging, I did not get another overheating error.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
the pmcc does run hot but one would think that the porsche box would designed to mitigate such issues. I am in FLA and we've been warm for weeks and my garage can get hot but I've never had the evse get so hot that it would fault like this.
Im in S. Florida and do not have overheat issue with the charger in the garage. Yes, it's in the shade and no it's not inside a box. Mounted low on a wall.
Sponsored